This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

4 Year Old Won't Eat

Lfrost

Lfrost Explorer

And he keeps going, and going, ....geesh, how much did this boy eat?! Does anybody who has done a clean out before know about how long until everything generally passes? He wants food now and I feel bad telling him to wait.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MoMof2Boyz Enthusiast

what consistency are his stools? we were told to keep our kids on a full dose til their poop had a softer consistency then to back off to half a dose...we were never told to not give them anything to eat but they don't have the same problem as your child(dysmobility?) what about just giving him a small amount of something to eat?

Lfrost Explorer

Oh, they have hit runny stage now! We haven't given anymore Miralax since the bowels started moving yesterday. This might be TMI, but at least I know that we have hit the food from 5 days ago. We had corn on the cob and apparently corn kernels don't digest all the way. ;)

bartfull Rising Star

I'm so glad! I haven't contributed to this thread because I haven't had any answers, but I can tell you that this poor little boy has been on my mind so much that I actually dreamed about him last night. No matter how much WE suffer when we are sick, the thought of a sweet little child suffering is too much to bear. Give him a hug from me and give yourself one too. God bless you both!

MoMof2Boyz Enthusiast

you might want to give him half a dose...in my experince once I stopped giving the miralax the constipation started. :( the runny stage sucks, but that's the new poop that's getting pushed around the old poop that is stuck in his colon..I think he has alot more to get out! it will be runny for awhile, then might come out in chuncks, then finally will have the softer formed poop.

Lfrost Explorer

Bartfull, to put your mind at rest, here is our happy boy today! Open Original Shared Link

And thank you so much for your kind words and your concern :)

Momof2boys, It is so hard to think of giving 'Mr. Runs' even a 1/2 dose, but yes you are right. We have done Miralax before and gone right back to constipation! The idea of the runs being pushed around the blockage makes sense. He went from pebbles to runs literally within less than an hour, so that would make sense.

Thanks again, everyone. His sister has now 'tentatively' joined him in the pool...ready to jump out should our boy have an urge to let loose! LOL

bartfull Rising Star

He's ADORABLE!! My friend Wendy has a boy his age and they look so much alike they could be twins. I guess all four year olds with blond hair look sort of alike.

You know, it's funny, when I was young enough to have had kids I wanted no part of them. Couldn't stand to be around one! Now that I am past the "danger" of having one of my own, I LOVE kids. I had never even HELD a baby, but now whenever someone comes into my shop with a baby I have to hold it and talk to it and tell the mother if she ever needs a babysitter she can call on me.

I guess it's one of the compensations of getting old. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mom2J112903 Newbie

For us, but remember my son isn't typical in the pooping dept....it can be 48-36hrs before we see a truly cleaned out child and have the MtDew colored liquid stool. For *us* though this is what we have to do since we have *a lot* of motility issues.

Lfrost Explorer

Is the Mt. Dew colored stool going to be liquid, too? The boy's poor bum is hurting right now from the liquid poops. We have been putting A&D on it.

Mom2J112903 Newbie

Poor thing! And yep, liquid Mt Dew...our GI actually said it would be like looking in the toilet and seeing a 2L of Mt Dew poured into it. We were never able to get this at home (like I said a lot of intestinal dysmotility) and it took 3 days of inpt clean out to get it even remotly close to this. We were not 100% certain the colonoscopy could even be done, but thankfully they were able to see what they needed to.

If his stool is liquid and his tummy is soft, I would guess that he is much better off than he was before. I personally do not know if I would go the entire way like we have to without a GI involved. Many parents whom have a child like mine can give their GI a call and get a KUB (KidneysUrterBladder) x-ray ordered as it also shows the intestinal tract. I wish you were able to get into a GI like we have been able to! 2wks for the first and that was at Nationwide's in Columbus (one of the best in the country) and then our current one-2 days! Again, I am not certain how much more I would push things since you do not have a GI or a ped that can help you right now. Dehydration is a real thing to worry about when doing something like this. (((hugs)))

Lfrost Explorer

Thank you. We did get an appointment with an allergist, but not until the 17th. I called my human resources department for my work to see if we need a referral to a GI, but she hasn't gotten back to me, yet.

I have been doing more research and the more I do, the more I think we need to get him in to a GI. I mentioned before that what started us on allergy testing was the fact that he started vomitting each morning for a month straight. When we found his allergies, I thought that was it. The weird thing was that his vomit actually smelled like poop. Now I read that that means SEVERE constipation. Even doing this 'clean out' it makes me worry that we might be dealing with a blockage of some sort. So, we see his 'doctor' on the 11th and the allergist on the 17th. Between the two, someone better get us an X-ray, or better yet, a GI! I am debating just taking my boy up to urgent care (even though there isn't anything so 'urgent') to see of we can get referred!

Lfrost Explorer

I Just wanted to update everyone. The poops are thickening (no accidents today) and my son ate a great breakfast, asked for a snack between breakfast and lunch, and is currently devouring his lunch. His bum is also no longer sore. He says his tummy does not hurt and he is doing great.

Who would have thought he could make such a turn around after a day of the runs! :)

I just wanted to say thank you again for all of the support, concern, and advice. I cannot stress enough how great it is to have people out there who not only care, but listen and just get it!

Lfrost Explorer

I have a quick question about poop if anyone is still following this thread. :)

So now that is has been 4 days since we fed Colton all of the Miralax, his poops are soft, but more solid (no longer liquid the last couple of days). My question is, his poop is still pencil thin. Is this because of the Miralax, or is this suggestive of continued blockage?

His doctor did feel his stomach and said it was soft and he could feel a 'normal amount of stool' in there (which was interesting because Colton's poop was all liquid up until that point), but if you have followed my posts then you know how highly I think of our doctor (sarcasm intended).

Mom2J112903 Newbie

I have never heard of Miralax causing pencil thin stools to pass unless there was still a blockage somewhere. Can you get someone to oder a KUB (KidneyUrtersBladder) x-ray? This will also show the intestinal tract and see what and/or how much "stuff" is in their.

Lfrost Explorer

Can you get someone to oder a KUB (KidneyUrtersBladder) x-ray? This will also show the intestinal tract and see what and/or how much "stuff" is in their.

That is one of the things that I am hoping to get through our GI referral. I hope the process does not take too long. Our doctor 'handles it from their end', so I don't have a number for a GI. We are supposed to wait for a call from the GI doctor. How long do you think we should wait before I start hounding the doctor?

Thank you for answering all of my questions! I didn't think pencil thin stools were a result of the Miralax, but I have never given him that much before. I do know that he still has a hard time even passing the 'pencil stools'. I have had to make a game of it with him of getting him to try to 'toot' on the pot (which causes him to pass the stool, too) and we make a big deal of belly laughing when he can make a noise. It is quite strange the things we find ourselves doing to make our kids feel better, you know?! LOL

Sesara Rookie

That is one of the things that I am hoping to get through our GI referral. I hope the process does not take too long. Our doctor 'handles it from their end', so I don't have a number for a GI. We are supposed to wait for a call from the GI doctor. How long do you think we should wait before I start hounding the doctor?

Thank you for answering all of my questions! I didn't think pencil thin stools were a result of the Miralax, but I have never given him that much before. I do know that he still has a hard time even passing the 'pencil stools'. I have had to make a game of it with him of getting him to try to 'toot' on the pot (which causes him to pass the stool, too) and we make a big deal of belly laughing when he can make a noise. It is quite strange the things we find ourselves doing to make our kids feel better, you know?! LOL

We had to wait for a while for our referral to go through. My ped's office told me the process should take a week, so if I didn't hear anything, call. So I did and somehow my referral had been "lost". After yet another week of waiting, I had to call again to find my referral had been "lost" for a 2nd time. I guess I should have taken it as a sign not to go to this GI's office. But they called me the next day with an appointment finally. I hope your offices are more organized than mine.

Lfrost Explorer

We had to wait for a while for our referral to go through. My ped's office told me the process should take a week, so if I didn't hear anything, call. So I did and somehow my referral had been "lost". After yet another week of waiting, I had to call again to find my referral had been "lost" for a 2nd time. I guess I should have taken it as a sign not to go to this GI's office. But they called me the next day with an appointment finally. I hope your offices are more organized than mine.

Oh my gosh! How frustrating!

Mom2J112903 Newbie

We have always been told a week but I never wait that week and give them 5 instead. I don't want them thinking that this can wait, I don't think they like me much ;)

Archived