8 replies to this topic

#1 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:44 AM

What does teff flour taste like & when is it most often used?

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:52 AM

Its usually used in flat breads (injera) in Africa where it's from. I like the rich slight sour taste
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injera
have also mixed it with other gluten-free flours here to had color and taste. Millet and sorghum are tow of them.

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 fantasticalice

fantasticalice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:01 AM

You can eat teff warm, in cereal form, like oatmeal. Whole grain. Buy it in the health food store or online.

What do they use it for? Ha! "They" use it to make their gluten-free crap look "whole grain". Most of the gluten-free stuff is
made from white rice, tapioca, corn, everything they use to make pigs fat. It has NO nutritional value,
at all! None. Zip. Why would you eat it? Myself, I have no problem eating anything but my family members,
no gluten, no soy, looks like I might have to add GMO's too. That pains me but so far she can have nut
butter and that's what I bake with, adding things such as teff, or chia or hemp or flax or sunflower seeds,
there are more. Millet I grow in my yard and if the birds don't eat it I get some. Teff I grow as well. I
have a large yard, I grow 50% of my own food. I am getting into this homestead thing but keep in mind I am
retired and get to play all I want.

Good luck with the teff! It's an ancient grain... from the middle east, if I recall.
Alice in Gluten-Free Wonderland

#4 kareng

kareng

Dispeller of Shady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,001 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

Did you see the article Ken posted on Teff biscuits?

http://www.celiac.co...942#entry808942

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

I use it in "mock rye bread", for example.

I think it has a nutty flavor.

http://whatscookinga.../Teff-Flour.htm

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 genieb

genieb

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

I've been wanting to study teff more, but just haven't had time. It is one of the "protein" grains/flours. I do use it in my multigrain flour blend that tastes more like the 7 grain flours I used back in the day. That blend makes really good bread and pie crust. I also tried a chocolate mint cookie recipe with teff flour awhile back that was very good. The recipe came from Bob's Red Mill.

A very time comsuming project I've been working on for years is nearing completion, so I'm hoping I'll have more time to play around in the kitchen this fall. Maybe I'll finally be able to try more things with teff.

#7 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

Thank you all for answering & providing links & such. I may get some & try it in recipes.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#8 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

Keep in mind there is dark teff and ivory teff. Ivory teff is nicer in some baked goods but not in injera, of course. :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#9 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

Yes, love2, I did note there is dark & light & a red too I believe. I think the light might be more to my liking. However I must admit that the dark was touted as having a hazelnut type of flavor & I do love hazelnuts.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: