28 replies to this topic

#16 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

Yep. Similar situation here. Not celiac but food intolerances or allergies. Not sure which exactly. Just know what foods this person has said in the past that she can't eat. And then she eats them. And then she complains about how sick she is. And then she wants sympathy. Well she won't get it from me. I just leave. I won't deal with it. I do know in this person's case part of it is her age and the memory problems that she won't admit to having. She has said stuff like, "I never eat bananas and I don't know why!" Well... I know why. And recently she has eaten bananas and then got sick. Drives me up a wall. But there really isn't much you can do. She has also told my daughter and I that we are not allowed to discuss her diet in any way shape or form and if we do we will not be allowed back in her house. Yes, she is the very controlling sort.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

I had a good friend years ago who had such terrible D and other celiac symptoms. I didn't have it back then but Mom did, and I KNEW that was her answer. Her doctor didn't have a clue, and just kept telling her it was IBS.

I BEGGED her to try a gluten-free diet for a while, but she said she REFUSED to have celiac because she just loved eating out. (She and her husband hardly ever ate a meal at home, and because they were well off, they ate at really good, expensive restaurants.) She would not even TRY gluten-free, because if it made her feel better that would mean she had it, and she said she would rather be sick and die an early death than to give up her fancy restaurant meals.

I've lost touch with her and have no idea if she has since changed her mind, or if she has now developed the complications we all know are likely...

or...is already dead.

#18 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

People are stubborn. I have a brother who is at least saying he might try the gluten-free diet now, after years of being sick. So they can change sometimes.

Don't forget to try the gluten-free peanut butter cookies on her.

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 handfull of Enjoy Life choco chips.

bake 10 minutes.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#19 LeahBanicki

LeahBanicki

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

People are stubborn. I have a brother who is at least saying he might try the gluten-free diet now, after years of being sick. So they can change sometimes.

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg

bake 10 minutes.

Thanks for sharing that. I could use a cookie today. Looks simple. :)

- Leah Banicki -

Writer, Wife and Mother.

Gluten free since 10/28/10

#20 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg

bake 10 minutes.

What temp. do you bake them at?

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#21 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

What temp. do you bake them at?

Cookie temp, 350 F. Sorry, left that out. They are better than regular floury cookies too. They don't have a flour taste, which is not somethi9ng you miss once it's gone from a cookie.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#22 sreese68

sreese68

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

Cookie temp, 350 F. Sorry, left that out. They are better than regular floury cookies too. They don't have a flour taste, which is not somethi9ng you miss once it's gone from a cookie.

They freeze well, too. I have a lot of food intolerances, and this is one of the few desserts I can have. I make two batches at a time and freeze them.

They're also great to bring to parties because everyone loves them.
Sharon
gluten-free March 2011
Failed gluten challenge May 2011
Diagnosed celiac 5/25/11

#23 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:02 AM

Thanks gluten-free! NOW it's in my recipe collection.Posted Image

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#24 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:15 PM

I have a cousin who has a son who has all the signs of Celiac and is so allergic to MSG he has to carry an epipen with him. H'e like 12 now, and she would rather him have his epipen than try to avoid MSG let alone gluten. :blink:

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

#25 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

I have a cousin who has a son who has all the signs of Celiac and is so allergic to MSG he has to carry an epipen with him. H'e like 12 now, and she would rather him have his epipen than try to avoid MSG let alone gluten. :blink:

That is so saddening.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#26 Skysmom03

Skysmom03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

My husband got really sick like that before he found out. So sick that he would do anything to feel better. I completely in my mind believe that he would have died within a week if they had not discovered the results of the blood test when they did. He was told to go gluten free before they even confirmed with thd endoscopy. It may take her hitting rock bottom for her to do it unfortunately. Hopefully it won't be too late by that point.

My son also has it. He had no symptoms or at least noticable ones- but after the biopsy we found out the doctor thinks he has had it for at least three years. We only had hom checked because of my husband. We have encouraged other family members to get checked but they won't. My mother in law recently found out that she has a rare form of rectal melanoma, and I can't help but wonder if she too has it( melanoma is a risk with untreated celiac disease). I just think too many people think if they don't feel bad then nothing is wrong.... Trouble is they don't realize that they don't feel that great!

#27 kater

kater

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

Since being diagnosed I've told me immediate family they should get tested too. I'm not so worried on my mom's side but I think my dad and brother should get tested because my dad's sisters both have gi problems - one aunt has crohn's and IBS and the other has a whole bunch of food sensitivities - neither has been diagnosed celiac but still. My brother refuses to get tested because he doesn't have any symptoms. I've told him that you can have celiac without symptoms, but he just doesn't want to know. I get it...if you don't feel sick then it's probably way harder to cut out gluten, but I also don't want him to get osteoporosis and cancer :S. I don't think he has it, but it's not hard to get a blood test.

#28 EmiPark210

EmiPark210

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

This might be totally off track... but is there anyway she could be suffering from some other issues in addition to celiac? Such as bulimia? It could explain the vomiting behaviors and if she went gluten free and continued to have symptoms it would mean admitting other issues. 

It's rare, but ignoring medical diagnosis to cover up undesirable or "forbidden" behaviors does happen. For example, Lance Armstrong used his cancer to cover up the high levels of HCG when he was drug tested. Not entirely the same, but it's a high profile example of this type of behavior. 

And again, it may be completely off track and I don't know your family or your situation, it's just a thought.

IBS Diagnosis: 2010

Celiac blood results: 2/21/13 Positive

Biopsy: 4/19/13 - visually positive, 4/23/13 - positive

#29 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

If she's diagnosed with it and she's not doing anything about it, you can't be gluten free for her. In my family, me even mentioning to get fully tested results in eye rolling or a burst of anger. I can send trustworthy medical info, but that's about it.

diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: