#1 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:18 AM

Hi all!
I have never tasted Golden syrup & hubs & I both have to be low salicylate for some months & that means NO corn syrup aka Log Cabin, Aunt Jemima, etc....
That leaves 2 choices ---- maple syrup & golden syrup (berry syrups are out).
I know, I know, the vast majority of you will say MAPLE SYRUP!!!!! Well, I duck & run as I say this but neither hubs nor I care for Maple syrup.Posted Image

Soooooo, the question is ---- can you give me a good idea of what golden syrup tastes like before I go out & spend money on it just to find out we don't like it OR go to the trouble of making it myself just to dislike it?

Thanking you in advance!

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

MAPLE!!!!! :P

Golden syrup is richer and deeper than regular corn syrup. It is used in many recipes. I personally do not like it on pancakes and so on because I find it too sweet for that application. But I do use it in baking. It does not have an unpleasant or offputting flavour.

Thankfully it is inexpensive should you dislike it.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

Do you really need syrup? Maybe just don't eat pancakes or waffles for a while? Or try honey, flavored yogurt, powdered sugar instead? My son likes powdered sugar on a waffle. Put it on a really hot waffle and it sort of melts.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

Boil finely diced apples with brown sugar and a little water. When the apples are soft, take off the heat and add a dash of vanilla. Lovely over pancakes.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#5 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

Jellies and jams are other alternatives. Guava jelly on pancakes is very good. Not gaggy sweet.

You can also make your own incredibly easy simple syrup that requires two ingredients: granulated sugar and water. Then you can flavour it with other things such as lemongrass, chili powder, keffir lime leaves, vanilla bean, fruit...almost anything. Simple syrups are the base for many other things but that is another thread. :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#6 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

Okay gals, .... low sals, low iodine..... meaning honey & yogurt are out as are guava jelly or any jam or jelly that is not golden delicious apples or mangos, also out are chili powder, lime leaves, lemongrass. We're trying to get the dh to calm down not crank it up to full speed.Posted Image

Having said that; thank you Love2 for the info. on what golden syrup tastes like. Actually, the hubs loves the gaggo sweet so that is probably a good thing in favor of golden syrup. And the cost is good.

Karen, the powdered sugar is an option - thanks.

jestgar, I like the ideas but I am saving the apples, brown sugar thing for after dinner deserts for Mr. Sugar Fix since we are so limited on things we can eat. Plus I'm going to try to make some golden delicious "jam" for putting on some bread I make.

I only hope the next 4-6 months fly quickly by & we can begin eating more foods! I adore fruit! Did I say I adore fruit? I ADORE FRUIT!

Thanks ladies for all your help. Sincerely.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#7 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

Okay gals, .... low sals, low iodine..... meaning honey & yogurt are out as are guava jelly or any jam or jelly that is not golden delicious apples or mangos, also out are chili powder, lime leaves, lemongrass. We're trying to get the dh to calm down not crank it up to full speed.Posted Image

Having said that; thank you Love2 for the info. on what golden syrup tastes like. Actually, the hubs loves the gaggo sweet so that is probably a good thing in favor of golden syrup. And the cost is good.

jestgar, I like the ideas but I am saving the apples, brown sugar thing for after dinner deserts for Mr. Sugar Fix since we are so limited on things we can eat. Plus I'm going to try to make some golden delicious "jam" for putting on some bread I make.

I only hope the next 4-6 months fly quickly by & we can begin eating more foods! I adore fruit! Did I say I adore fruit? I ADORE FRUIT!

Oops...sorry. I got a touch carried away again! :huh:

If your husband likes gaggo, he'll love golden syrup. :P

#8 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

Oops...sorry. I got a touch carried away again! :huh:

If your husband likes gaggo, he'll love golden syrup. :P

Love2, I can't wait for the day I can have/try some of your delectables but that day isn't just yet.Posted Image

As far as the gaggo ---- my thought s exactly!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#9 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

Be careful and be sure to read the label on your powdered sugar. A lot of powdered sugars have corn starch...were you one of those that needs to avoid corn? I might be mixing up someone else's post :blink: .
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#10 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

When I was a little kid I would always ask if I could have my last pancake with just butter. Finally one day Mom looked at me and said, "You don't like maple syrup, do you?" I almost cried as I relpied, "No."

I was raised that you eat what's put in front of you, so I thought I HAD to use the syrup. When Mom told me I didn't have to eat it anymore I was SO relieved! I have never eaten maple syrup since, except in an occasional piece of baklava. And even then, it gives me hiccups. I wish they could make bakalava that wasn't sweet. (gluten-free, of course.)

And when I worked in doughnut shops I would always put aside a couple of glazed donuts that HADN'T been glazed yet because they are so much better without that sweet glop on them.

The only sweet thing I have ever really liked is ice cream. Can you do ice cream? Hagen Daz vanilla is cream, milk, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Maybe you could use that on your pancakes?

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#11 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

Be careful and be sure to read the label on your powdered sugar. A lot of powdered sugars have corn starch...were you one of those that needs to avoid corn? I might be mixing up someone else's post :blink: .

No, I'm cool with cornstarch but not cornmeal as the high sals come into play.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#12 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

When I was a little kid I would always ask if I could have my last pancake with just butter. Finally one day Mom looked at me and said, "You don't like maple syrup, do you?" I almost cried as I relpied, "No."

I was raised that you eat what's put in front of you, so I thought I HAD to use the syrup. When Mom told me I didn't have to eat it anymore I was SO relieved! I have never eaten maple syrup since, except in an occasional piece of baklava. And even then, it gives me hiccups. I wish they could make bakalava that wasn't sweet. (gluten-free, of course.)

And when I worked in doughnut shops I would always put aside a couple of glazed donuts that HADN'T been glazed yet because they are so much better without that sweet glop on them.

The only sweet thing I have ever really liked is ice cream. Can you do ice cream? Hagen Daz vanilla is cream, milk, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Maybe you could use that on your pancakes?

Personally, I'm much more like you bartful. Never really had too much of a sweet tooth & it's grown less & less over the years. Now, hubs is a different matter entirely.
We could both do ice cream except we get back into that old iodine factor. Sigh. Just doing time until we can EAT so many things again. We'll get there --- later if not sooner!Posted ImagePosted Image

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#13 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

Oh yeah, eggs have iodine don't they? Can you do sour cream? Believe it or not, sour cream is really good on pancakes. Your hubby could then pour on the powdered sugar.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#14 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

I have a bottle of Lyle's golden syrup from when I tried Failsafe. I just went and tasted it and it tastes very sweet with a light brown sugar flavor. It doesn't taste of maple at all to me. It would be fine for gaggo-sweet on pancakes. :lol:

I was using it in stir-fry trying the substitute soy sauce trick in Sue Dengate's cookbook. I don't agree with Sue that it makes a soy sauce flavor but it does carmelize in the wok to add some interest to stir-fry.

#15 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

Thanks Skylark! Gaggo sweet it is then!Posted Image

bartfull, dairy is iodine so no sour cream. And you know that weird hubby I have? Gags at sour cream! Only thing I've ever been able to get him to eat that contains sour cream is beef stroganoff.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: