6 replies to this topic

#1 Skittles

Skittles

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

So I picked up some flax seeds to grind up but hadn't tried them yet. I heard from some people that it makes you bloated and gassy. I have enough of that already!! I do not want anymore. But I am also constipated and heard this is good for constipation. Just would like to get some feed back from you guys. Does it make you bloated and gassy, or no?
Diagnosed with celiac by blood test in the beginning of April 2012 and confirmed with endoscopy April 20th 2012.
Gluten free since May 2012 (for 5 months.. relapsed for about a month and have been gluten free again since Nov 2012)
Corn & corn syrup free since May 2012
Dairy limited since Aug 2012
Nightshades limited since Aug 2012

Fructose limited since Nov 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 wayneglutzky

wayneglutzky

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

I've been mixing flax seed meal into my meatballs/meatloaf and I sprinkle some on my yogurt. I started eating it a few days before I found out I had Celiac, so I'm not sure if it made me bloated or not. (gluten was going a good job of that already)

But, it does seem to help in the bathroom department. Not a "run to the bathroom" help, but if you have it at night...you will probably need to go in the morning.

#3 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

I can't handle flax at all. I get very nauseous. But if you can handle it I think it's really good for you.

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

After being gluten free for nearly 6 months I am more or less regular for the first time in my life after adding flax. I haven't noticed any bloating and I haven't been gassy other than the days I've eaten eggs. I actually just talked my husband into a strawberry flax milkshake for dessert. :D Lots of people react differently to different things. For me flax is like a pooping miracle, but you may have a different reaction. You won't know until you try it.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

Flax meal can make you extremely gassy and give you explosive evacuations without much warning if you use more than you need. Once you get the dose right it is very effective.

#6 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

Flax meal can make you extremely gassy and give you explosive evacuations without much warning if you use more than you need. Once you get the dose right it is very effective.

I don't notice that they give me gas but I can get the big D if I eat too much. I did quit eating it for a while but then started back up again. Just a light sprinkle on my toast along with some hemp hearts. No problems this time.

I also used to use flax as an egg sub and it worked quite will in things like meatloaf. But I had to quit that when I learned that my daughter is intolerant to flax.

#7 tictax707

tictax707

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

I second Adalaide in that you just have to figure out what works for you. For me, I have to avoid flax meal because it makes me bloated and gassy like you said. Sucks because flax is in a lot of gluten free stuff now, but oh well...! I'll cross my fingers for you though!!
Diagnosed celiac 2002
Diagnosed lymphocytic colitis 2003
Casein free
Love baking/cooking
Love triathlons

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: