Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Invited By Local Denny's

11 posts in this topic

The local Denny's where I got glutened has asked me to give a 5 minute presentation to their staff next Wednesday at 7 am. Any suggestions on things that I should cover would greatly be appreciated.

Armetta

Ads by Google:
The local Denny's where I got glutened has asked me to give a 5 minute presentation to their staff next Wednesday at 7 am.  Any suggestions on things that I should cover would greatly be appreciated.

Armetta

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

CROSS CONTAMINATION!!! How if a spatula is used to flip a bun, then is used to do a gluten-free burger, the burger won't be gluten-free anymore. I have order things that I know are naturally gluten-free (omlettes) but have always wondered if maybe the food wasn't really gluten-free. Or that putting a piece of toast on the plate, then taking it off, the plate isn't gluten-free anymore. Explain to them what the body does to people with celiac disease when gluten is introduced to their system. Explain that it is an autoimmune disorder that won't kill us (not if treated correctly) but there isn't medicine to counter -act the trigger (gluten) like there is with allergies (anti-histimines) Get graphic if you want on how sick we get and how long it can last. Ask them if they have ever swam up a molasses river in January. Or had your head stuffed with cotten. Felt really weirded out. Or have wild mood swings. How fun it is to know that if you aren't careful and keep contaminating your body with gluten, you are at a much higher risk of colon cancer and other goodies. I'm sure celiac3270 or richard have lots of ideas. I don't think celiac disease can be compressed into 5 minutes, not when it has 200 symptoms, but at least you are getting a chance to educate some more of the general public.

It might be helpful to compare celiac disease with a peanut allergy. Alot of people understand the severity of a peanut allergy, ours is just as serious to our long term health. Another thought is an analogy. Kati had a great one with pizza. Friends wanting her to just eat the cheese. She put liquid soap on the pizza and then wiped it off. Would you want to eat the pizza? They did not want the pizza! We do not want the gluten, not even a crumb. I think it is exciting that they are interested in knowing about celiac disease. Good luck!

Hez

Ha...I like the soap analogy...funny.

I would agree - cross contamination issues - they need to be careful about what food they've touched prior to preparing a gluten-free dish, watch where they cut their fruit and veggies (was bread just sitting on that counter on that exact spot??), make sure that they mix a gluten-free salad seperately from others, etc. Mention that it is easy to prepare gluten-free foods b/c ultimately everything is ordered simply or plain - that is, chicken breast with no spice/breading; salads without lots of extras like meats, croutons, and bacon bits; plain rice or potatoes, etc. Ultimately, there is less preparation (though more thought) put into our food.

Wow, what a great opportunity! Let us know how it goes and what you end up doing.

Definitely cross contamination. Things I hypothetically think about at diners are - can my eggs be prepared in their own pan, not the griddle where the pancakes are? Is the bacon gluten free? Is there a mix used for omlettes and scrambles, and does that egg mix use gluten at all? Is it dipped or poured, and if dipped, does that dipper dip anything else? (like pancake batter).

Any fillers in the hamburger, etc?

I am helping a local organic food restaurant with this kind of stuff, too. They already have gluten free bread but were toasting the sandwiches on a panini press that regular bread was used on - uh, no-no. I told them to wrap the sandwich in foil first, then grill it. They make perfect panini now.

Good work, I hope it helps out and makes for some positive change!

Stephanie

The local Denny's where I got glutened has asked me to give a 5 minute presentation to their staff next Wednesday at 7 am.  Any suggestions on things that I should cover would greatly be appreciated.

Armetta

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As you can see I am not to good at using the quotes. LOL. Sorry about that.

I went to Denny's this morning and passed out to the morning employees 3 page condensed information sheets about Celiac, responsibilities of the wait staff and cross contamination issues for the cooks and managers. I also left with the morning manager many extra copies for the staff that were not working. I disucssed the disease and the cross contamination issue with the staff. I showed them the cards that a Celiac or gluten intolerant person might show them, the Denny's gluten free list they had sent me. I also passed out several green bracelets to the wait staff that wanted to become more knowledgable on the disease so that they could better serve their customers. They were all kind and seemed receptive for the information. Even asked a few questions. They have a weekly trivia question and one waitress suggested that one week they use "what is Celiac Disease". The morning manager thought that was a very good idea.

Armetta

That's great! Thanks for representing our needs to a new group of people!

Great job Armetta!!

Thanks so much! I am so glad you got the information out there! :)