This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Birthday Cake

hez

hez Enthusiast

I need to bake a cake for hubby's birthday next week. I am looking for the best box cake (have no desire to make a homemade cake). I could do chocolate or a yellow cake mix. Let me know what you like or which ones were gross so I can avoid them.

Thanks Hez

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
I need to bake a cake for hubby's birthday next week.  I am looking for the best box cake (have no desire to make a homemade cake).  I could do chocolate or a yellow cake mix.  Let me know what you like or which ones were gross so I can avoid them.

Thanks Hez

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For my son's birthday I got a gluten-free Ice Cream cake from Baskin Robins' Was a HUGE success. I had ot call in a day or 2 before I wanted it, explain to them exactly what I need done (ALL Ice cream, no cake, no cookies, etc) and etc, but they were happy to do it.

sb4480 Newbie
For my son's birthday I got a gluten-free Ice Cream cake from Baskin Robins'  Was a HUGE success. I had ot call in a day or 2 before I wanted it, explain to them exactly what I need done (ALL Ice cream, no cake, no cookies, etc) and etc, but they were happy to do it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Gluten Free Pantry has some great baking mixes. I think there is a chocolate mix and a vanilla. I've had both and they're not too bad.

Stephanie

jenvan Collaborator

I am a fan of 'cause your special gluten-free mixes too. Made my hubby a cake with them last month and it turned out great: Open Original Shared Link

There are lots of brands out there--you might not have time to order via mail, so maybe some of these others brands will be in a local store: Namaste, gluten-free Pantry, 123 Gluten Free, Authentic Foods, Dietary Specialities, Dowd & Rogers... I use Duncan Hines Homestyle frosting.

Guest gfinnebraska

I LOVE Dietary Specialties... when I bake a box, I have to be careful or I will eat the whole thing!!! :ph34r: It is THAT good! Very moist and yummy!! I love the chocolate or white. They also make yummy banana bread, apple bread and pancakes. :) Can you tell I love this brand??!!?? :) Hope your hubby has a great b-day!!

Bette Explorer
For my son's birthday I got a gluten-free Ice Cream cake from Baskin Robins'  Was a HUGE success. I had ot call in a day or 2 before I wanted it, explain to them exactly what I need done (ALL Ice cream, no cake, no cookies, etc) and etc, but they were happy to do it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sounds awesome!!! I will have to look into that for my daughters birthday. How was the staff? When you requested an ice cream cake with no cake in it? Do you think they thought you were from mars or something :huh:

And another strange question : Did the shape of the cake hold up, or did it turn into one big ice cream blob? Just curious, I was thinking it would be pretty easy to make one of our own, by using one of those new rubber (silicone) molds that they make now. Filling it up with somewhat melted ice cream, then refreezing it. Just a thought ;) Thankfully I still have till December till I have to attempt my daughters first gluten free birthday party.

Guest gfinnebraska

My local grocery store bakery also makes ice cream cakes. They are becoming more and more popular. My family bought me one for Mother's Day 2 years ago. It was truly awesome!! SO yummy!! It was 1/2 vanilla, 1/2 chocolate with snikers chunks everywhere. YUM!! So, check your local bakery too ~ chances are they can help you as well. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

Our absolute fave mix is the Pamela's chocolate cake mix... YUMMMMMMM!!!!! The Gluten Free Pantry also has some really good cake mixes.

VydorScope Proficient
That sounds awesome!!!  I will have to look into that for my daughters birthday. How was the staff? When you requested an ice cream cake with no cake in it? Do you think they thought you were from mars or something :huh:

And another strange question : Did the shape of the cake hold up, or did it turn into one big ice cream blob? Just curious, I was thinking it would be pretty easy to make one of our own, by using one of those new rubber (silicone) molds that they make now. Filling it up with  somewhat melted ice cream, then refreezing it. Just a thought  ;)  Thankfully I still have till December till I have to attempt my daughters first gluten free birthday party.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ive not tried to make one my self yet, but the one we got held its shape perfectly.

hez Enthusiast

I was able to order a gluten-free ice cream cake from Dairy Queen for dh surprise party. They were very nice. But I still need to bake a cake for his actual birthday so thank you for all the input! I will see what mixes I can track down!

Hez

Archived