4 replies to this topic

#1 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

I just harvested a bunch of leaves from my very assertive grapevine and would love to try cooking with them. My husband gave a bunch to a Middle-Eastern co-worker a couple of years ago and I have it on good authority that my leaves make very good eating, but the guy never told us how he fixed them!

I'd love some ideas please! Yeah, I know, I could Google it, but I would much rather hear more personal tales!

Oh...you can leave out any pine nuts...I had a horrible reaction to them that lasted for weeks, will never touch another one!

Thanks! B)
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

Oh, yum! This is a very delicious and traditional dolmades recipe for which you can use fresh or brined leaves:
http://greekfood.abo...-Avgolemono.htm

Yogurt Pie (sounds weird but is delectable):
http://www.lauriecon...r-grape-leaves/

BTW, many recipes use either brined OR fresh that have been blanched a minute or two to soften. Don't forget to trim out the stems down the centre!

I took an excellent Greek cooking class and have some yummy recipes at home (I am not home at the moment). I will look into them tomorrow.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

Oh, yum! This is a very delicious and traditional dolmades recipe for which you can use fresh or brined leaves:
http://greekfood.abo...-Avgolemono.htm

Yogurt Pie (sounds weird but is delectable):
http://www.lauriecon...r-grape-leaves/

BTW, many recipes use either brined OR fresh that have been blanched a minute or two to soften. Don't forget to trim out the stems down the centre!

I took an excellent Greek cooking class and have some yummy recipes at home (I am not home at the moment). I will look into them tomorrow.

Thank you so much! These look really yummy. Yes, even the Yogurt Pie! I can't wait to try them. You always have such great ideas!

We used to have a restaurant owned by a Greek family in the town where I grew up. Their avgolemono soup was to DIE for! When they retired we cried.
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#4 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

mm dolmades are divine!
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#5 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

Thank you so much! These look really yummy. Yes, even the Yogurt Pie! I can't wait to try them. You always have such great ideas!

We used to have a restaurant owned by a Greek family in the town where I grew up. Their avgolemono soup was to DIE for! When they retired we cried.

It's awesome that you are using grape leaves. Our climate does not permit them but we have an abundance at our Croatia house. I also plan to use old grape vines to "smoke" foods on our outdoor wood burning oven.

You have GOT to try the yogurt pie. MMMMMMMM. How sad about the Greek family retiring. Really good Greek food is hard to come by I find. Don't you just adore that soup? Oh, man.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: