Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Grape Leaves, Anyone?

5 posts in this topic

I just harvested a bunch of leaves from my very assertive grapevine and would love to try cooking with them. My husband gave a bunch to a Middle-Eastern co-worker a couple of years ago and I have it on good authority that my leaves make very good eating, but the guy never told us how he fixed them!

I'd love some ideas please! Yeah, I know, I could Google it, but I would much rather hear more personal tales!

Oh...you can leave out any pine nuts...I had a horrible reaction to them that lasted for weeks, will never touch another one!

Thanks! B)

Ads by Google:

Oh, yum! This is a very delicious and traditional dolmades recipe for which you can use fresh or brined leaves:

http://greekfood.about.com/od/stuffedgrapeleaves/r/Stuffed-Grape-Leaves-In-Egg-Lemon-Sauce-Dolmathes-Avgolemono.htm

Yogurt Pie (sounds weird but is delectable):

http://www.laurieconstantino.com/using-leftover-grape-leaves/

BTW, many recipes use either brined OR fresh that have been blanched a minute or two to soften. Don't forget to trim out the stems down the centre!

I took an excellent Greek cooking class and have some yummy recipes at home (I am not home at the moment). I will look into them tomorrow.

Oh, yum! This is a very delicious and traditional dolmades recipe for which you can use fresh or brined leaves:

http://greekfood.about.com/od/stuffedgrapeleaves/r/Stuffed-Grape-Leaves-In-Egg-Lemon-Sauce-Dolmathes-Avgolemono.htm

Yogurt Pie (sounds weird but is delectable):

http://www.laurieconstantino.com/using-leftover-grape-leaves/

BTW, many recipes use either brined OR fresh that have been blanched a minute or two to soften. Don't forget to trim out the stems down the centre!

I took an excellent Greek cooking class and have some yummy recipes at home (I am not home at the moment). I will look into them tomorrow.

Thank you so much! These look really yummy. Yes, even the Yogurt Pie! I can't wait to try them. You always have such great ideas!

We used to have a restaurant owned by a Greek family in the town where I grew up. Their avgolemono soup was to DIE for! When they retired we cried.

mm dolmades are divine!

Thank you so much! These look really yummy. Yes, even the Yogurt Pie! I can't wait to try them. You always have such great ideas!

We used to have a restaurant owned by a Greek family in the town where I grew up. Their avgolemono soup was to DIE for! When they retired we cried.

It's awesome that you are using grape leaves. Our climate does not permit them but we have an abundance at our Croatia house. I also plan to use old grape vines to "smoke" foods on our outdoor wood burning oven.

You have GOT to try the yogurt pie. MMMMMMMM. How sad about the Greek family retiring. Really good Greek food is hard to come by I find. Don't you just adore that soup? Oh, man.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• I'm glad I found these forums!  I will spend some more time this evening reading through them.  But I wanted to get my question out there just to see if anyone else might have answers quicker than I can sift through the forum for them.      I've been feeling terrible for about a year, and after an elimination diet last month, figured out that if nothing else, gluten/wheat is a problem.  After lots of research, I abandoned the elimination diet and added gluten back in, so that I could get tested for Celiac.   I was off gluten for 3 weeks, from mid-June until early July.  I've had it back in my diet for almost 3 weeks now.    My question is this: Since I was off gluten for 3 weeks, and now back on for almost 3, is that enough time on to yield a positive Celiac blood test, if that indeed is what I have?  All the research I've done says 4-6 weeks for a gluten challenge, but is that really necessary if I was only not eating it for 3 weeks?  I am desperate to get this testing done and over with.  I feel terrible all the time and getting through the day is a struggle.  My doctor ran allergy panels already and everything came back clear except for a mild wheat allergy.  So if nothing else, I'll have to give up wheat for sure at the end of all this.  I get the feeling she doesn't know a ton about Celiac though, so I'm doing a lot of the research on my own. Any advice or information would be so appreciated! 
    • Hi Michael, That's quite a spike in blood pressure!  I haven't tested that myself and don't want to if it means I have to eat gluten.  Blood pressure testing to identify food reactions is something that has come up before.  It sounds like it might be possible but I don't know how much study has been done on it.  Probably not much since it is such a simple, straight forward idea. Welcome to the forum!
    • Hi Megan, Did the doctor test you for celiac disease?  You really shouldn't go gluten-free until all the testing for celiac disease is completed.  It is a little odd for a doctor to tell you to go gluten-free for no reason IMHO.  Did he/she explain the reason for it? Personally, I have learned over the years what I can eat safely and what I can't.  Occasionally I get hit but it is rare.  Simplifying your diet is a good first step.  Avoiding processed foods for a while and dairy also is good.  I suggest any change you make last for a month at least. Then try the food again. If you are eating 100 random ingredients/foods each day it is hard to figure these things out.  If you reduce it to a much smaller number of foods then things become simpler. Welcome to the forum!
    • Finally, proof that non-celiac gluten sensitivity is real. ... for the 30 percent of consumers who choose to buy gluten-free products and the 41 percent of ... View the full article
    • hey! Wondering if I can get some good info/help from you guys! I just signed up for this website couple weeks ago. Whenever I would Google things this was always the first to pop up and I always found info on things I googled. I am pretty new to the gluten free thing. I had a hernia surgery back in Jan and after that I kept throwing up after eating, the DR. told me it was probably acid reflex caused from surgery but all the meds I tried nothing helped. I went back and was told to cut gluten out. I have been doing so since. When I first started I felt like I had it under control and didn't throw up for 3 weeks, now I find it happening more often. I do buy gluten-free things and read labels to the best I can. My frustration comes from not knowing what its from. How do you know if its from the day before or what you just ate? I hate not knowing. Especially when I haven't had gluten (or so I think) I have been keeping a journal but I just find it so hard. I get this feeling in my stomach and can feel it in my throat. Sometimes I puke once sometimes 5 times! Yesterday for lunch I made an omlet with chicken mushrooms and feta cheese. I threw up almost 20 min after. I have also tried the no dairy thing and it doesn't seem to make a difference so I don't think dairy is an issue as well.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    calla84