23 replies to this topic

#1 Ghosty

Ghosty

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

Wonder if anyone has any tips to keep my pancakes together?

I make a dairy / gluten free pancake. Its based off of a recipe I found, but I have tweaked it to my liking. However, a problem I have is that the pancakes crumble, and I am not able to keep them together like a traditional pancake. I use about 3 cups of almond flour (I make my own so it's pure), one can coconut milk, six eggs, cinnamon, and then about a cup of berries mixed in.

I used to make them with a pre-made almond flour that was not pure and had things like potato starch and rice parts in it, among other things. It stayed together fine and was gluten free, but I don't want all that other stuff in there, and think there must be a way to keep the ones together using just almond flour...but have yet to see it.

Also, I've tried low heat, high heat, covered, uncovered, cooking a really long time, cooking small portions at a time and cooking a huge one at once an this does not seem to make a difference. The pancakes will get done on the bottom, and when I flip them they fall apart. Adding in coconut flour makes matters worse.

Do you think more eggs? Something else? Input is appreciated. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:22 AM

Add flax that's been 'gelled' in 1/4 cup of water, and applesauce. Honestly, the eggs should be enough, but that's a lotta almond flour..... couple tablespoons of EVOO could help too.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#3 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:57 AM

I haven't ever used almond flour just by itself so I'm not really sure how it behaves. Like bunnie, I think that looks like plenty of eggs.

I was just wandering if you have ever tried them without adding the berries (putting the berries on top afterward?) . . . just thinking like an engineer here that the berries cause a discontinuity and a place for your pancake to begin to break apart.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#4 bbuster

bbuster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:03 AM

I was just wandering if you have ever tried them without adding the berries (putting the berries on top afterward?) . . . just thinking like an engineer here that the berries cause a discontinuity and a place for your pancake to begin to break apart.

Are you an engineer, or just thinking like one??? Either way it's a good observation.
Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

#5 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

Are you an engineer, or just thinking like one???

Yep . . . engineer . . . or at least I was in a former (prekids) life. Now I'm chief of "some assembly required" home projects and the occasional guesser as to what is causing that sound in the car.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#6 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

I don't know if anyone else has found this, but I have had better luck with making my gluten-free baking products smaller. So instead of regular size, what if you did "mini-pancakes"? Another thought ... are you using Bob's Red Mill almond flour? I use Honeyville - buy it in bulk from Amazon. Bob's is very coarse. I've had much better luck with Honeyville, and I prefer the taste. I'm also thinking that maybe the coconut flour made it worse b/c coconut flour absorbs so much moisture.

#7 bbuster

bbuster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

Yep . . . engineer . . . or at least I was in a former (prekids) life. Now I'm chief of "some assembly required" home projects and the occasional guesser as to what is causing that sound in the car.

Very good! I am a Chemical Engineer as my paying job and mom as my non-paying job. And somehow the home mechanical-type stuff usually falls to me as well.

Luckily for my son, my love of "chemicals" (which is not a dirty word, by the way - in essence it just means "stuff") and experiments spills over into the kitchen.

My gluten-free repertoire has expanded enough that I periodically threaten my workplace (the paying one) that I could always quit and start a gluten-free bakery. :)
Bev

#8 Ghosty

Ghosty

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for the all the suggestions.

Kelley - I actually thought about making them smaller, and tried that last time...no difference though. I now make my own almond flour, but was using Honeyville and had the same results. I have used Bob's too. It is so much cheaper (and easy) to make my own that I plan on doing that now.

Darn - Good suggestion bout the berries, and I will give that a try next time. I actually throw some strawberries in a food processor and dump them in, in addition to at least two other kinds of berries, so maybe that will help to just leave em out.

Bunnie - I'll keep your suggestion in mind too...hadn't thought of that. I agree that three cups is a lotta almond flour, but that's how much I need with a whole can of coconut milk, or it is too runny.

#9 bbuster

bbuster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

maybe Xanthan gum???
Bev

#10 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

Wonder if anyone has any tips to keep my pancakes together?

I make a dairy / gluten free pancake.

Also, I've tried low heat, high heat, covered, uncovered, cooking a really long time, cooking small portions at a time and cooking a huge one at once an this does not seem to make a difference. The pancakes will get done on the bottom, and when I flip them they fall apart. Adding in coconut flour makes matters worse.

Do you think more eggs? Something else? Input is appreciated. Thanks!

You might try cutting back on the coconut milk. Maybe two tablespoons per cup of almond flour. Or, leave it out altogether, then you won't need extra eggs.

You probably do need more eggs, or, as the other poster mentioned, a little flax gelled in water.

The rough ratio would be an egg for every quarter cup of almond flour. (1 cup flour, 4 eggs). Add a little baking soda for leavening.

As others said, you will have to make them smaller, and be a little more careful because they will burn a little faster than regular pancakes.

Worse case, check out Jim's Pancakes and other wonderful breakfast treats at No More Crohn's!

I do like Honeyville almond flour better than Bob's, it's a finer grind. And if you buy directly from Honeyville and allow them to add you to their mailing list, they will alert you to their 10% off sale which happens several times a year. They've never spammed me.
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#11 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

I haven't tried it with almond flour, but my rice and buckwheat flour pancakes used to fall apart, even though I put a little bit of guar gum in it, I think. What I do now is add some psyllium husk powder, about 1/2 teaspoon per 1 cup of flour. Then I let it all sit about 10 mins or so before I start to make them. I still can't flip them or try to move them without them falling apart unless I make sure the bottom is cooked first (dry on the edges).
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#12 GlutenFreeAustinite

GlutenFreeAustinite

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

Xanthan gum works for sure. Especially if you use almond flour, add a little bit of almond butter. I've used that to thicken before.

#13 Ghosty

Ghosty

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

I ended up combining a couple suggestions and it worked beautifully.

I did one cup almond flour to four eggs. Put a bit of cinnamon in them and nothing else. They stayed together and cooked really quickly. They actually looked like pancakes too. From start to first pancake done was fourteen minutes. This included grinding the almonds into flour, and making a jam with fruit in the food processor. This is awesome that they stayed together and were so quick to cook. Exactly what I was looking for. These will be great for camping, a post work out meal, and other quick meals.

Only downside is the pancake itself doesn't have as good a taste as it did with the fruit and coconut milk in it, but I covered it with the jam I made and almond butter...so it's ok.

I can probably experiment a bit too with with the flax and Xantham that were suggested.

Thanks!

#14 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:43 AM

Sounds like you 've found your solution and I'm at the tailend of this conversation, but have you ever tried buckwheat pancakes? I make them all the time. They taste great and stay together great. I use water for the liquid and one egg. Will post recipe if you're interested :)
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#15 Ghosty

Ghosty

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:12 AM

^ Sure Free...I would take that recipe. Good to have some options. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: