This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Many People That Are Diagnosed In This Forum Are African-American/black/hispanic/asian Or Any Other Ethnicity?

Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

I'm not sure where this should go...I am just so bothered by the fact that doctors believe that it's impossible for people of other ethnicities to have Celiac Disease. That makes people in that community unaware, to a point where they don't even care or even believe that themselves. While Vitamin D-deficiency is everywhere, it's very prevalent in African-American women. I almost wish I could put together screenings/blood tests for African-American/Hispanics/Asian/non-White community just to prove to some dense doctors how common it may be.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

myadidas1981 Newbie

I'm half hispanic and was diagnosed four months ago.

SleepyBunny Apprentice

They are starting to find that people of different ethnicities can have this problem.And people in America have all sorts of backgrounds. They shouldn't be using skin color to determine celiac. Maybe try typing in different races then celiac or gluten intolerance in a search engine. Find articles that come from reputable sources and take them to the dr. If you try a gluten free diet and you feel better you really don't need the dr's opinion. A lot of us on here have learned this. It does help to have proof from tests and all but your tests can still come back negative. Even people that fit into the "celiac profile" have trouble getting diagnosed so try not to feel too bad. Good luck to you! :)

kareng Grand Master

We have had a few posters at various times from Mexico. Several from India.

Takala Enthusiast

I could not look more "caw kaze shun" but I am part indigenous aka "got here a little earlier." Females of this group tend to have higher rates of auto immune diseases. You'd think that with the caw-kaze-shun being northern European/Irish (and my married name being that, conveniently adding to the whole identity as perceived ) this would have been considered earlier, but heck no. I was sent on my journey exploring the possibility by a random comment on an internet social board.

There is no such thing as a "purebread" :P human.

It's not only the doctors. When I find people in the real or on-line world with matching symptoms, I gently suggest they consider gluten free as an option, only to be frequently told that they "tried" the diet once, and it made no difference, so they can't possibly have it, because their doctor told them :ph34r: they have (fill in the blank, usually fibro or IBS). People get into their cocoons medicating themselves with beer or junk food or prescription meds or whatever, and they aren't going to come out, but they are always complaining how sick they are at the same time.

GFinDC Veteran

It's a real good question Nicole. Just about everything we thought was known on celiac 50 years ago has been shown to be wrong. It's not one in 10k people, it's 1 in 133. And you don't outgrow it. And it's not only a children's disease. And it's not only a Northern European disease either.

But IBS is an easy answer that doesn't take much effort. Someday maybe it will change. My understqnaqding is the genes in celiac are part of a cluster of genes that are linked to lots of auto-immune diseases. So there could be more things learned because of that. I think they ought to do the celiac blood panel on anyone that is suspected of having IBS or any auto-immmune disease. That might catch more cases.

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

It's a real good question Nicole. Just about everything we thought was known on celiac 50 years ago has been shown to be wrong. It's not one in 10k people, it's 1 in 133. And you don't outgrow it. And it's not only a children's disease. And it's not only a Northern European disease either.

But IBS is an easy answer that doesn't take much effort. Someday maybe it will change. My understqnaqding is the genes in celiac are part of a cluster of genes that are linked to lots of auto-immune diseases. So there could be more things learned because of that. I think they ought to do the celiac blood panel on anyone that is suspected of having IBS or any auto-immmune disease. That might catch more cases.

My mother was diagnosed with "IBS" almost 10 years ago. As an African-American woman who is not in denial about the possibilities of having Celiac disease, it pains me that I can't get the people in my family with identical issues to get tested. One aunt has agreed to be tested when she goes to the doctor next week. When I talked to my cousin, who a couple of months ago had a tanked Vitamin D level of 6, and is having serious neuropathy issues, hyperthyroidism, and high blood pressure, asked me did I want them to be tested to make me feel better. I was like, no, to make YOU feel better. People are so set in their ways.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived