This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

May Contain Wheat

Castle

Castle Newbie

I have been gluten free for almost 3 years now but I still struggle with this topic.

Do you eat foods that have labels with "May contain wheat" Or " May contains traces of wheat"

I don't have physical symptoms so I don't ever really know if I have been contaminated or not. I never purposely eat food that I know contains wheat but I will eat foods that have the label saying "May contain" occasionally. What's your take on this and what do you do? I know it's my choice in the end but I am curious to know what other people do when it comes to this!

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

alex11602 Collaborator

We don't in our house, but I also have two young children to think of and wouldn't take a chance with their health. I also find there are plenty of options without that warning, so why bother? That's my personal take on it.

psawyer Proficient

Castle, you said in a previous topic that you are in Canada.

Open Original Shared Link

There is no meaningful difference between "may contain x" and "may contain traces of x"--both indicate the possibility of accidental content at some low level.

I generally avoid products that "may contain wheat," especially if there is an alternative that does not have the warning. But, the warning is voluntary, so its absence does not necessarily mean anything.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Do you eat foods that have labels with "May contain wheat" Or " May contains traces of wheat"

I also avoid stuff with this warning.

Hornet Rookie

I avoid all labels that say gluten-free but are not made in dedicated gluten-free facilities. I don't know in reality why it can be called gluten-free if there may be traces of gluten, soy or other allergens.

Ultimately you have to decide what is best for you and if eating traces of wheat poses a problem for your health.

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

I'm an avoider as well, any possible trace is a trace too much for me. ?

Castle Newbie

Thank you all for your posts! I appreciate the feedback. I am leaning towards avoiding those foods with such labels but it's hard sometimes when there isn't an alternative.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lpellegr Collaborator

You also have to consider that since plenty of labels don't say anything about other things that might share the lines or factory, you could be eating things that "may contain traces of wheat" all the time without knowing it, so while it's good to avoid the potential contamination that they tell you about, it still won't keep you 100% safe. That said, if the package states that there's a chance for cross-contamination, I mentally thank them for their honesty and step away from the product.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I'm 2 years gluten free.

Got sick from nuts contaminated...definitely gluten by my reaction.

So when I grabbed the Spaghetti sauce that proudly says Gluten free on the front, and I turn it over and it says Made in a facility that also processes wheat...um...no thank you.

I feel sorry that people believe that gluten free on the label means it IS gluten free.

I've been testing that off and on this last year and it's totally true for me that if it's made in a facility that processes wheat, I'll probably get sick.

So as painful as it is.....

I've decided only to eat Certified Gluten Free products.

Cause even if you don't find that warning on the label...and there are no gluten ingredients, it doesn't mean it isn't contaminated. Unfortunately.

I really wish it were not legal to use the Gluten Free on the label unless the product is tested.

Adalaide Mentor

I appreciate the honesty from companies and steer clear of the products with that label. I was curious about it and tested it for myself. When I was feeling pretty well I decided to eat some dried blueberries with that label and had a very strong reaction. It's sort of a mixed bag for me though, as I take those words on the label as a warning of possible cc.

Here's what I mean by that. Cheetos for instance. Regular, normal Cheetos have no gluten ingredients but aren't produced in a gluten free facility. Sure, they take every precaution but who knows? Heck, they don't even have the warning on the bag, but I still won't eat them. On the other hand, Cheetos Naturals I will eat. It isn't that they are produced elsewhere, they aren't. It is that every batch is tested and verified gluten free, where the regular ones are not. It's an assurance thing that promises the product I am getting really is gluten free.

It's why I appreciate "processed in a facility..." warnings. My health just isn't worth risking over something like the Cheetos that are a little cheaper or the X that is mildly more convenient or whatever. Sure, it could very well be perfectly fine. But why risk it?

Archived