This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Reactions To Gluten

twe0708

twe0708 Community Regular

Does anyone vomit after being glutened? I'm not talking about if you touched a few breadcrumbs and ate them. If you have just one oreo cookie, does it make you throw up? I can handle a little cross contamination, but I had some breakfast potatoes that were cooked with wheat (they mixed flour with the potatoes) and it made me vomit. I also had a donut about 6 months after being diagnosed and it made me extremly sick as well from both ends. Just wondering if the side effects are as harsh on others?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Razzle Dazzle Brazell Enthusiast

Does anyone vomit after being glutened? I'm not talking about if you touched a few breadcrumbs and ate them. If you have just one oreo cookie, does it make you throw up? I can handle a little cross contamination, but I had some breakfast potatoes that were cooked with wheat (they mixed flour with the potatoes) and it made me vomit. I also had a donut about 6 months after being diagnosed and it made me extremly sick as well from both ends. Just wondering if the side effects are as harsh on others?

So you are saying that you have been cheating on the diet? I guess that is what we often call it but it doesnt fit when cconsidering it does not do any good and only puts us more behind at healing. Just to clarify, though you appear to have been on here a long time, a little bit of gluten is not alright for any category you may fit in. Im sure you know that though. I feel extreme sympathy for you if you didnt realize that.

Anyway, i myself dont throw up when i get cross contaminated but you can say i was never officially diagnosed. I do bloat badly and get very nauseas though. I get real drowsy and have bad brain fog, especially morning after. Then once the bloat goes down, usually takes about three days, i get D real bad for a couple days. I do remember a few times i had both and got really dehydrated but it was long before knowing anything about gluten sensitivity and celiac. It only happened after a bunch of pasta and some chips. Strangely i cant handle any cross contamination now at all and yet i have never thrown up when i was on a gluten free diet. Everyone is on different sensitivity levels for cross contamination as i have seen.

RL2011 Rookie

The only time I threw up from gluten was after many years of cumulative damage to my digestive system just prior to going gluten-free. If you are vomiting, it sounds like you have to make some dramatic changes to your diet.

So you are saying that you have been cheating on the diet? I guess that is what we often call it but it doesnt fit when cconsidering it does not do any good and only puts us more behind at healing. Just to clarify, though you appear to have been on here a long time, a little bit of gluten is not alright for any category you may fit in. Im sure you know that though. I feel extreme sympathy for you if you didnt realize that.

Anyway, i myself dont throw up when i get cross contaminated but you can say i was never officially diagnosed. I do bloat badly and get very nauseas though. I get real drowsy and have bad brain fog, especially morning after. Then once the bloat goes down, usually takes about three days, i get D real bad for a couple days. I do remember a few times i had both and got really dehydrated but it was long before knowing anything about gluten sensitivity and celiac. It only happened after a bunch of pasta and some chips. Strangely i cant handle any cross contamination now at all and yet i have never thrown up when i was on a gluten free diet. Everyone is on different sensitivity levels for cross contamination as i have seen.

Razzle,

I never said anything about cheating (yes, maybe at first, but not after 4 plus years). I am just asking if when people do get hit are they vomiting! Yes, I tried a donut once when first going gluten free, but no, after 4 plus years I do not cheat. By me saying I can handle cross contamination does not mean I am cheating, it means occasionally I get hit with cross contamination (meaning someone stuck their contaminated sandwich knife in my gluten free peanut butter jar), but it doesn't make me vomit. I am just asking if when some people do cheat do they vomit because I have read on this site about people making the choice to cheat and I am just wondering how they can do that since it would make me vomit.

Razzle,

I never said anything about cheating (yes, maybe at first, but not after 4 plus years). I am just asking if when people do get hit are they vomiting! Yes, I tried a donut once when first going gluten free, but no, after 4 plus years I do not cheat. By me saying I can handle cross contamination does not mean I am cheating, it means occasionally I get hit with cross contamination (meaning someone stuck their contaminated sandwich knife in my gluten free peanut butter jar), but it doesn't make me vomit. I am just asking if when some people do cheat do they vomit because I have read on this site about people making the choice to cheat and I am just wondering how they can do that since it would make me vomit.

Lol yeah i figured you knew better than that and that one time was just because it was early in your gluten free experience. Besides that i was gonna ask what your recipe was for a gluten-free donut. Sounds so good right now! :P Gosh so what if you labeled your stuff. Would that help? Are people just forgetting or just dont care? I am lucky my mom and dad will not eat from anything other than their own food or their usual brands so it helps.

I once did eat a burger that was cooked in one of their skillets and got hella sick and regretted it. I guess that counts as cheating. I went and finally bought my own non stick. I keep it in my room so my dad doesnt mistakenly use it. I am afraid about getting even more sensitive the longer I am strictly gluten free cause i am just about a month in. I cant imagine when your immune system gets stronger and then getting cross contaminated! Bless your heart.

I hope i didnt offend you! :-(

Lol yeah i figured you knew better than that and that one time was just because it was early in your gluten free experience. Besides that i was gonna ask what your recipe was for a gluten-free donut. Sounds so good right now! :P Gosh so what if you labeled your stuff. Would that help? Are people just forgetting or just dont care? I am lucky my mom and dad will not eat from anything other than their own food or their usual brands so it helps.

I once did eat a burger that was cooked in one of their skillets and got hella sick and regretted it. I guess that counts as cheating. I went and finally bought my own non stick. I keep it in my room so my dad doesnt mistakenly use it. I am afraid about getting even more sensitive the longer I am strictly gluten free cause i am just about a month in. I cant imagine when your immune system gets stronger and then getting cross contaminated! Bless your heart.

I hope i didnt offend you! :-(

My post is probably confusing. I don't get cross contamination that often or do I vomit that often. Last two times I vomited was the first 6 months of being diagnosed, so this past week was only the third time. I was traveling this last week and that's how I got a bad batch of breakfast potatoes. I was just curious about others reactions and if they were to accidentally eat a cookie or get a bad batch of potatoes, would they vomit too. I posted the donut and cookie comment just as an example of how little it takes for me to vomit. The last 3 1/2 years have been pretty good, except for the potato incident, but in a way I am glad I have that reaction because I can honestly say if I was just bloating with a little bit of diarrhea, I would probably cheat :unsure: so in a way it's a good thing. :)

Ok, maybe I was a little offended by your post. :unsure: Sorry if I came back sounding a little harsh. I am at work and just typing things out quickly and didn't want people to think I cheat. I have read some of the harsh comments when others post about eating wheat again and the replies aren't good. :o

Enjoy your weekend! :P

My post is probably confusing. I don't get cross contamination that often or do I vomit that often. Last two times I vomited was the first 6 months of being diagnosed, so this past week was only the third time. I was traveling this last week and that's how I got a bad batch of breakfast potatoes. I was just curious about others reactions and if they were to accidentally eat a cookie or get a bad batch of potatoes, would they vomit too. I posted the donut and cookie comment just as an example of how little it takes for me to vomit. The last 3 1/2 years have been pretty good, except for the potato incident, but in a way I am glad I have that reaction because I can honestly say if I was just bloating with a little bit of diarrhea, I would probably cheat :unsure: so in a way it's a good thing. :)

Ok, maybe I was a little offended by your post. :unsure: Sorry if I came back sounding a little harsh. I am at work and just typing things out quickly and didn't want people to think I cheat. I have read some of the harsh comments when others post about eating wheat again and the replies aren't good. :o

Enjoy your weekend! :P

Yeah I wasn't all too clear with your post cause it said " I can handle a little cross contamination". I thought you may have been saying that you don't feel you are sensitive to the point of having to wash everything off and avoid breadcrumb dust touching your utensils etc. I think you meant that when you accidently are exposed it doesn't usually provoke the strong response of vomiting. I figured you had been here long enough that you knew that those things are risky and that I may have had false alarm bells ringing. You know what you are doing ;)

Btw- I have seen those harsh posts myself and feel that the judgementalism is not called for. Even if some people definitely know better and intentionally poison themselves, we all do not know their struggles and what is going on in their lives. We should try to be very sensitive to those people I think. I mean if a celiac sufferer or gluten intolerant/sensitive can't be sensitive than that is pretty bad lol

I struggled recently in accepting I may be a little more than just intolerant to dairy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RonSchon Explorer

Tuesday morning - 2am - I drank a powerade due to dehydration from a run Monday night.

Tuesday all day I felt like death warmed over.

By the time I got home tuesday afternoon I felt lightheaded, brain fog heavy, eyesight fuzzy, and yes, felt nauseous and thought I was going to vomit for about 2 hours.

I'm new to this, and my cross or inadvertent contamination's have been just a few, they have been immediate, and they have been powerful.

• 1 month later...
luckyme2 Newbie

Yes,swollen face,especially around the eyes,stuffy nose (I can hardly breath) and migraine from hell. I'm ready to faint how bad I feel. A little bit helps: freshly ground strong coffee,everythings a bit draining from the pharmacy. It helps just for the first contamination's day. Day 3 and 4 is the worst.

Sorry,my friends liked to experiment with me. It always worked. Previous friends.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I will vomit if I get a fairly large dose of contamination. It rarely happens now. Before diagnosis, my son was vomiting about 10 times a day. He also vomits if gets a fairly large dose of contamination. It doesn't happen to him very often anymore either.

T.H. Community Regular

I know a few Celiacs who cheat, including my father and brother. And all of them don't vomit. They get mild visible symptoms, like nausea and a case of the runs the next day. That's about it. I don't know that this is the case for every case of cheating, but I don't know that I've heard of anyone with severe symptoms cheating.

Even my father, who used to cheat in the beginning, has finally stopped because his reactions have been getting worse lately. the worse they got, the less he cheated, until now he finally doesn't any more. Seems like that's pretty common.

GFinDC Veteran

I've thrown up lots of times, and not just from gluten. Projectile chicken anyone? Dang stuff flies real well even after it's cooked. It hasn't happened in a while though. I have trouble swallowing food sometimes and that leads to it being rejected. Bad food! Go way! Happens sometimes when I am too gassed up also. Also doesn't happen much anymore. Ah well, such is life. Things are much better now that I am off grapes. It is not always gluten that is causing the problems. Other foods can cause plenty of problems too.

mamato4 Rookie

A week after my 2yo went gluten-free he snatched an animal cracker from another child at Sunday school. The teacher noticed and had him spit out what was left in his mouth. He ate about half of one animal cracker (that she saw, I'm not sure if he ate another before she noticed. He says no, but he's 2 so I'm not sure). Anyway, he threw up twice that day, cried and cried and complained of a tummy ache and couldn't sleep.

That confirmed to me how sensitive he is and how careful we need to be.

Archived