#1 Fairy Dancer

Fairy Dancer

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

Hi

I am not diagnosed celiac as my blood test came back normal. I was trying out a gluten free diet at the time (it was the only way I was well enough to get to the drs) and did experience some improvement until I went back on grains again after I received the results. At that point I relapsed badly (was bedbound) and so decided to go grain free (loosely paleo) once again. I also booted most processed foods.

Fast forward 3 months and my diarrhoea and pale stools have worn off, my energy levels are a little better than they were and I am now able to get out of bed most days even if I am not yet fully functional.

However, I am still having some problems with GERD like symptoms. I was taken into the A and E the other night with chest pain as they wanted to check my heart and that was fine. As were my lungs. Given that I started getting awful reflux and vomited up acid when I got home I am putting the chest pain down to one hell of an irritated oesophagus. The problem is I think it is also disturbing my sleep as I wake up feeling awful and am drowsy/sleepy all day. I also brux my teeth (grind) so that does not help either and the sleep issues are triggering migraine headaches to boot! So I am still feeling rough.

What I am wondering is if the gerd could be linked as even though I tested negative I still suspect celiac (as it is in my family and I have had significant improvement since going gluten free). Also, if it is linked how long before my gut heals properly?

I have tried reintroducing some foods and that has helped a little. I originally took out both dairy and ALL grains but have now put rice and milk (preferably goats but I will drink cows) back in and seem to be ok with it now (initially the dairy gave me diarrhoea slightly but that has not happened this time) and the rice is lovely for settling my gut. Increasing my carb consumption (I was originally low carb paleo) has helped with fatigue levels. So it's a bit better than it was a few days ago now but are there any other foods that will settle reflux?

I really need a good nights sleep and I am sure the reflux is increasing my bruxing which is stopping me from sleeping properly. It's just that I keep falling asleep in the middle of doing things and I have trouble staying awake during the day...its rather irritating when I have things to do.

I also bought a mediflow water pillow to aid sleep and am waiting to see if that helps.

My drs think its anxiety and depression but I do not agree..given the success I have had thus far with avoiding most grains and given that my life problems have increased recently I feel that indicates my problems were in fact diet based (otherwise my symptoms would be getting worse not better lol).

I used to be on antidepressants but came off them months ago. I had daytime drowsiness then and have been complaining about it for years (although I never used to doze off whilst doing things back then lol...I am only 37 not 90!) but they put it down to the sedative effect of the pill. Well I don't take the pills any more and don't want to especially as I have just gotten my moods to settle down into a normal pattern (I experienced the equivalent of emotional ping pong on those tablets!). But again the symptoms I am getting can't be down to the sedative effect of the tablets after all.

PN I did try taking the antidepressants out whilst on a normal diet and did not get the results I have achieved by removing grains from my diet at the time, so I don't think all of my issues were side effects to the pills.

Anyway, Can sleep problems be linked to celiac (if I do indeed have it?).

Any advice welcome as I need sleep. I am trying to study a degree in science and have had to miss two assignments already because I was too unwell with stomach pain and drowsiness to work on them.

HELP!

Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

Hi, I would just like to say, just because your blood test came back negative, it doesn't necessarily mean you are not Coeliac. Blood tests are unreliable, the best way of finding out is by having a biopsy, but even then, you need to be including wheat in your diet regularly, for at least 6 weeks before you get a positive result - if you are coeliac. I can understand that you may not actually want to go down this path if you have already eliminated wheat and gluten from your diet, as it can be extremely unpleasant.

One of my symptoms was also GERD, and I cut out dairy first, as I was finding I could not tolerate it, which led my doctor to get me tested (long story) and malabsorption of nutrients, and was extremely anaemic, even though I'd had a hysterectomy. I was also rushed into hospital with chest pains like you described. Don't be fobbed off by doctors who think everything is always down to anxiety or depression.

Have you tried sleeping slightly propped up on pillows, to help with the reflux? Also, antidepressants may actually cause your oesophagus/intestines etc. relax making the reflux worse. I have a hiatus hernia as well as coeliac disease and take a tablet to decrease the amount of acid that my stomach produces,which may also be useful. (taken in an empty stomach each morning). Go back to your doctor- or a different one, if you are dissatisfied with the advice you are getting. Good luck!

Hi

I am not diagnosed celiac as my blood test came back normal. I was trying out a gluten free diet at the time (it was the only way I was well enough to get to the drs) and did experience some improvement until I went back on grains again after I received the results. At that point I relapsed badly (was bedbound) and so decided to go grain free (loosely paleo) once again. I also booted most processed foods.

Fast forward 3 months and my diarrhoea and pale stools have worn off, my energy levels are a little better than they were and I am now able to get out of bed most days even if I am not yet fully functional.

However, I am still having some problems with GERD like symptoms. I was taken into the A and E the other night with chest pain as they wanted to check my heart and that was fine. As were my lungs. Given that I started getting awful reflux and vomited up acid when I got home I am putting the chest pain down to one hell of an irritated oesophagus. The problem is I think it is also disturbing my sleep as I wake up feeling awful and am drowsy/sleepy all day. I also brux my teeth (grind) so that does not help either and the sleep issues are triggering migraine headaches to boot! So I am still feeling rough.

What I am wondering is if the gerd could be linked as even though I tested negative I still suspect celiac (as it is in my family and I have had significant improvement since going gluten free). Also, if it is linked how long before my gut heals properly?

I have tried reintroducing some foods and that has helped a little. I originally took out both dairy and ALL grains but have now put rice and milk (preferably goats but I will drink cows) back in and seem to be ok with it now (initially the dairy gave me diarrhoea slightly but that has not happened this time) and the rice is lovely for settling my gut. Increasing my carb consumption (I was originally low carb paleo) has helped with fatigue levels. So it's a bit better than it was a few days ago now but are there any other foods that will settle reflux?

I really need a good nights sleep and I am sure the reflux is increasing my bruxing which is stopping me from sleeping properly. It's just that I keep falling asleep in the middle of doing things and I have trouble staying awake during the day...its rather irritating when I have things to do.

I also bought a mediflow water pillow to aid sleep and am waiting to see if that helps.

My drs think its anxiety and depression but I do not agree..given the success I have had thus far with avoiding most grains and given that my life problems have increased recently I feel that indicates my problems were in fact diet based (otherwise my symptoms would be getting worse not better lol).

I used to be on antidepressants but came off them months ago. I had daytime drowsiness then and have been complaining about it for years (although I never used to doze off whilst doing things back then lol...I am only 37 not 90!) but they put it down to the sedative effect of the pill. Well I don't take the pills any more and don't want to especially as I have just gotten my moods to settle down into a normal pattern (I experienced the equivalent of emotional ping pong on those tablets!). But again the symptoms I am getting can't be down to the sedative effect of the tablets after all.

PN I did try taking the antidepressants out whilst on a normal diet and did not get the results I have achieved by removing grains from my diet at the time, so I don't think all of my issues were side effects to the pills.

Anyway, Can sleep problems be linked to celiac (if I do indeed have it?).

Any advice welcome as I need sleep. I am trying to study a degree in science and have had to miss two assignments already because I was too unwell with stomach pain and drowsiness to work on them.

HELP!

Thank you.

Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.
Despite all, remaining positive!

#3 deb445

deb445

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

HELP!

Thank you.

I agree ~ I wouldn't rule out celiac...or gluten intolerance. If you're looking for advice, I think it was wise for you to go grain free and investigate if grains may be suspect. And dairy. Since you mentioned grinding teeth in your post aswell, I wondered if maybe (although not a popular thought...and often tricky to diagnose) you were fighting a parasitic infection. Since you seemed open to finding a cause for your suffering, I thought I'd mention it as a possibility. Wishing you good health.

Gluten free for 5 years. Dairy free for years, but now OK with grassfed dairy.

Grain free for 2 years and now pain free.

A dedicated kitchen, a new passion for whole foods, Paleo inspiration

BLACK SEED and MSM has made a world of difference.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning to dance in the rain..." ~unknown

#4 Marlie

Marlie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

If you are not getting better on a gluten-free diet and you have symptoms of GERD try antacids or a proton pump inhibitor which you can buy over the counter. An ENT can also look to see if you are suffering from reflux. Reflux can make it very difficult to sleep, cause terrible chest pain, asthma, sinus infections hence sinus headaches. My child went gluten-free after positive celiac blood work but negative biopsy and genes but continued to get sicker after initially feeling better gluten-free and we now know she has gerd. Best wishes.

#5 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

A food/symptom diary might be able to find the cause of the GERD.
It's easier to make a correlation when sticking to simpler, whole foods than w/ anything w/ a longer list of ingredients - I don't know if this applies.

As far as symptom relief, I haven't tried it but I've seen many swear by some small amount of apple cider vinegar. Trying to recall whether they specify unfiltered ACV.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#6 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

I have also heard the apple cider vinnegar helps. The theory is that your body makes too much acid and the vinnegar shuts that off. I listen to "The People's Pharmacy" on NPR and I have heard it there many times. People swear by it.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#7 Gfreeatx

Gfreeatx

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

I have used Apple Cider Vinegar for Gerd and it does work in a short period of time, but oh is it nasty going down! :blink:

#8 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:47 AM

I would think that rice vinnegar would work as well, and rice vinegar is YUMMY!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#9 ShannonA

ShannonA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

I mix a tablespoon apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon baking soda in a cup of water and you can feel it dissolving the acid reflux within minutes. I forgot where I read about that concoction.

#10 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

Perhaps you should google Eosinophilic Esophagitus and be referred to a gastroenterologist
Michigan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: