This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question For Those Corn Intolerant

lhaisley

lhaisley Newbie

After about 2 months corn free I now realize that corn has been my nemesis since I was a teenager if not since I was born. I was wondering if any one else had this 'revelation' (that theyve had it all along) That it cleared up so many oddities in physical health and behavior since they was a child. Also, if you have had it for a very long time- were you able to overcome your intolerances?

All of my life I have sufferered from this feeling of antsiness and anxiety which later in life translated into depression. Also, one of my most extreme side effects was the fact that I could never concentrate on one thing for very long, my mind was always 'fluttering' here and there. There are many, many more observations but these are just a few more pronounced ones.

I also feel a sense of invalidation when I tell people this, even my own family, since they think that corn cannot possibly create all of these things. I would like to hear from people if they have had any 'epiphanies' about life before corn, because I personally think corn is a huge culprit.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I don't recall ever having a problem with corn before. Used to grow it (organically) in the back yard when I was a kid and we ate a lot of it. For me, it all started with the psoriasis. I honestly can't remember if, during the ten or so years I had psoriasis before going gluten-free,corn made it flair worse. All I know is that it nails me to the floor now if I have even the tiniest amount of exposure.

deb445 Rookie

After about 2 months corn free I now realize that corn has been my nemesis since I was a teenager if not since I was born. I was wondering if any one else had this 'revelation' (that theyve had it all along) That it cleared up so many oddities in physical health and behavior since they was a child. Also, if you have had it for a very long time- were you able to overcome your intolerances?

All of my life I have sufferered from this feeling of antsiness and anxiety which later in life translated into depression. Also, one of my most extreme side effects was the fact that I could never concentrate on one thing for very long, my mind was always 'fluttering' here and there. There are many, many more observations but these are just a few more pronounced ones.

I also feel a sense of invalidation when I tell people this, even my own family, since they think that corn cannot possibly create all of these things. I would like to hear from people if they have had any 'epiphanies' about life before corn, because I personally think corn is a huge culprit.

Ha! Corn.

My sister (Celiac) recommended I give it a go, and eliminate it. WoW!

It was like going gluten free all over again. You know, that feeling of energy, less pain, memory gain, less panic, more patience. CLARITY. Unbelieveable. Now, I'm in the process of weeding it out completely...just gave up my soy coffee creamer because of (malto dextrin?...I think. So many processed no-nos to keep track of). Straight up organic coconut milk now. :) I will not turn back...eliminating corn has had as big an impact on my health as eliminating wheat. Those who are close to me know it too. Both have gluten, and it effects me the same. I never would have guessed it unless my sister hadn't encouraged me ~ and frankly, I wanted to prove her wrong. :P But really, my addiction to corn products should have been a clue. I have cravings for nachos and/or popcorn like I've never had for a slice of bread. It is HARD to kick. When we have addictions, I think we need to question why? Addictions are not healthy, so what purpose are they serving? It's interesting, that's for sure.

lhaisley Newbie

Ha! Corn.

My sister (Celiac) recommended I give it a go, and eliminate it. WoW!

It was like going gluten free all over again. You know, that feeling of energy, less pain, memory gain, less panic, more patience. CLARITY. Unbelieveable. Now, I'm in the process of weeding it out completely...just gave up my soy coffee creamer because of (malto dextrin?...I think. So many processed no-nos to keep track of). Straight up organic coconut milk now. :) I will not turn back...eliminating corn has had as big an impact on my health as eliminating wheat. Those who are close to me know it too. Both have gluten, and it effects me the same. I never would have guessed it unless my sister hadn't encouraged me ~ and frankly, I wanted to prove her wrong. :P But really, my addiction to corn products should have been a clue. I have cravings for nachos and/or popcorn like I've never had for a slice of bread. It is HARD to kick. When we have addictions, I think we need to question why? Addictions are not healthy, so what purpose are they serving? It's interesting, that's for sure.

Wow, so you weren't diagnosed with leaky gut or IBS, but just decided to do it on your own terms? That is great. Every time I talk to people about how gluten, corn, dairy is toxic to your body they look at me like I'm from outerspace! I think there is unspoken rule about not talking about how bad the food we are eating is for us. Lol.

I've pretty much resigned myself to thinking that even after my gut is healed i will keep going gluten, corn, dairy free.

How long have you been corn free exactly and have you experienced a lot of regression? I have been cf for about 1.5 months and df gluten-free for 2.5 and have experienced a good deal of regression.

Minstinguette Rookie

I am another gluten/corn/dairy free intolerant and will probably never try to reintroduce any of those. I just moved to the US and I was told back home in Switzerland that corn DOES contain the harmful gluten. I am really wondering about this corn issue and the possibility that it could be detrimental to all gluten intolerant people. I get the exact same reaction from corn that I get from wheat. Although in the beginning it was difficult identifying what I was reacting to because I was just generally not feeling great. Now it's very clear that I react to anything corn (which is really everywhere in this country :) ).

deb445 Rookie

Wow, so you weren't diagnosed with leaky gut or IBS, but just decided to do it on your own terms? That is great. Every time I talk to people about how gluten, corn, dairy is toxic to your body they look at me like I'm from outerspace! I think there is unspoken rule about not talking about how bad the food we are eating is for us. Lol.

I've pretty much resigned myself to thinking that even after my gut is healed i will keep going gluten, corn, dairy free.

How long have you been corn free exactly and have you experienced a lot of regression? I have been cf for about 1.5 months and df gluten-free for 2.5 and have experienced a good deal of regression.

Gluten free life started for me back when I was nursing a very sick newborn. He got better, and I got better.

Dairyfree evolved from visiting an terrific osteopath who also practises NAET, and made the recommendation. I really committed to this elimination last fall. Early this spring I took steps towards eliminating corn, after suffering from mysterious gluten-like attacks and an unrelenting sinus/chest/ear infection. Instead of taking the prescribed antibiotics, I took the advice of my sister, and stopped eating my beloved stovetop organic popcorn. I got better! When tested by my osteopath/NAET practitioner, everyone agreed - no corn for me.

I find that in general, not many people are receptive to what I think about food, and declining health. It baffles me that many people in my social circle aren't connecting the dots.

T.H. Community Regular

I couldn't get better until I went corn free. I've been avoiding corn now for over a year, and if I get it? Hoo baby do I notice! I'll suffer from anxiety and depression issues, insomnia, low frustration tolerance, high irritation levels. And my ability to think is compromised. I know what you mean with that scattered kind of thinking.

It's like what I imagine it would be like to be ADHD, you know? Unable to focus, or think on something clearly.

And I, too, have been this way much of my life, so for me, the change is huge. For many in my family, it's been a big change. They are used to thinking of me as the clumsy one (not so much anymore now that my vertigo improved) or the flaky one (also much better without gluten and corn, plus a few others). Time can often help your family and friends notice the difference better than anything else. :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
RuskitD Rookie

I did not get a medical diagnosis on my gluten, corn or soy intolerances. After being on my deathbed for 6 weeks and the dr ruling out other issues, like cancers, and my not having had ANY food for a week, I had enough of a clear mind to search the net with my symptoms. I found this place. I was crying with joy to know I had found my problem. It seemed every illness I suffered from, in my entire life, could be related to gluten.

I did the 2 week trial, and ate a slice of bread at the end of it. It nearly killed me. I swore not another bite of gluten and immediately began to feel better.

I thought, this is easy! As I munched on corn chips. Then about a month later, I began to feel bad again. No "D", but the brain fog, headaches, lethargy. I cut out corn for 2 weeks and began to improve in 2 days. Ate some at the end of the trial and reacted violently.

Same with soy. I do NOT need a doctor to tell me what I already know. Actually, finding one who believes me I think would be a challenge!!!!

I know I am a celiac. After my mind returned, there are so many illnesses and issues in my life, clear back to before I can remember, the stories family told of me when I was little. I was born with this!

As to corn.... well if addiction to it is an indicator of an intolerance, I had that! Loved my corn! Raising it, eating it! I actually miss corn more than anything made with wheat.

But I don't think I will ever get brave enough to try to add it back to my diet. I would just like to get through living my life without it stumbling into me. But that would take truth in labeling laws that likely will never be passed or enforced.

I am sorry you do not have a good support system! I know it is HARD when no one believes you. I was lucky that my husband saw me go through this, or I know he would think I made it up. Who would have thought our food could be poison to us? Not me!!!!

I don't try to convince anyone of the possible evilness of gluten, corn or soy. I just eat before i attend any function, and decline their pushing offers for me to eat.

I grew a huge backbone when it came to my health! Their feelings are not as important as my well being!

Archived