4 replies to this topic

#1 Minette

Minette

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

With these bags of flours and baking mixes accumulating in my cupboard, I'm in need of a better storage solution.

I bought one big Rubbermaid thing (4 liters, I believe) which seems like a good solid container, but because it's tall and narrow, it's pretty hard to measure the flour -- the one-cup measure barely fits inside and then you have to reach way down. Does anyone have a favorite (inexpensive) container that is sturdy and has a lid that stays on, and a nice wide opening?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

With these bags of flours and baking mixes accumulating in my cupboard, I'm in need of a better storage solution.

I bought one big Rubbermaid thing (4 liters, I believe) which seems like a good solid container, but because it's tall and narrow, it's pretty hard to measure the flour -- the one-cup measure barely fits inside and then you have to reach way down. Does anyone have a favorite (inexpensive) container that is sturdy and has a lid that stays on, and a nice wide opening?

I use Ziplock containers. They stack well, but I don't buy things in bulk or large amount. I use them for my rice, brown sugar, grits, candy, corn meal, etc. I do have a larger RubberMaid for my Bisquick or flour mix. I hate a messy pantry! :rolleyes:
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

I think the ones I have are Glad brand, not totally sure though. Not that it matters much, they're the relatively cheap ones that I can use for long term and leftover storage. I have a pretty big collection of them from the small one cup ones for small things to the large 5 or 6 cup ones for my flours and sugar and such. They're pretty short and fat so they're stacked all on top of each other but easy to scoop in to.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

I like snap-lock . . . wide variety of sizes. They have a seal so they don't leak fluids (or take on fluids) like when you throw something into a cooler. They're rectangular so they "fit" better in my cabinets, cooler, fridge . . .
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#5 fantasticalice

fantasticalice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

So grateful for the $1 store! They have tall, screw lid, Made in the USA containers.
I bet you can order them online but you'd have to buy a case! :)
Alice in Gluten-Free Wonderland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: