8 replies to this topic

#1 freeatlast

freeatlast

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:29 AM

I would like to try her gluten-free flour mix formula, but cannot use millet flour. Does anyone have a suggestion for substitutions? Brown rice flour doesn't seem to have any flavor and amaranth I use in small quantities.

I'm interested in hearing what you would use.

Here's the short demo:
http://glutenfreegir...pose-flour-mix/

200 grams sorghum
200 grams millet
300 grams potato starch
300 grams sweet rice flour
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 auzzi

auzzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:23 AM

Grains/seeds
besan - chickpea/garbanzo flour - buckwheat flour - teff flour - maize flour - masa harina - Quinoa Flour

Tubers/beans
tapioca flour - soy flour - cornstarch - arrowroot - mung bean flour

others
nut meals - coconut flour - fine grind polenta - chestnut flour - water chestnut flour - acorn flour

#3 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

Shauna's theory is that there is an optimal ratio of starches/whole grain flours. I wouldn't substitute tapioca, arrowroot or cornstarch for the millet, any of the others would work, depending on the taste you are going for and what you are making. Just substitute the same number of grams.

The problem you get is that if you use something like almond meal or coconut flour is that it absorbs liquids differntly than millet does, so that will affect the end product. Bean flours give things a distinctive taste that some people don't like. Quinoa is useful, buckwheat is good but has a distinct taste/feel,as does teff. I use almond meal a lot in cookies and brownies as I like the taste.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#4 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

Shauna's theory is that there is an optimal ratio of starches/whole grain flours. I wouldn't substitute tapioca, arrowroot or cornstarch for the millet, any of the others would work, depending on the taste you are going for and what you are making. Just substitute the same number of grams.

The problem you get is that if you use something like almond meal or coconut flour is that it absorbs liquids differntly than millet does, so that will affect the end product. Bean flours give things a distinctive taste that some people don't like. Quinoa is useful, buckwheat is good but has a distinct taste/feel,as does teff. I use almond meal a lot in cookies and brownies as I like the taste.

Tapioca, cornstarch and arrowroot are all starches, so I don't think they would work. Her formula is 40% (400 grams) wholegrains, 60% starches (600 grams).

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#5 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

Grains/seeds
besan - chickpea/garbanzo flour - buckwheat flour - teff flour - maize flour - masa harina - Quinoa Flour

Tubers/beans
tapioca flour - soy flour - cornstarch - arrowroot - mung bean flour

others
nut meals - coconut flour - fine grind polenta - chestnut flour - water chestnut flour - acorn flour

Great list! I have some chickpea flour never opened. Hum. That might just work. It's a bean flour, not wholegrain, but still...might work.

#6 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

Tapioca, cornstarch and arrowroot are all starches, so I don't think they would work. Her formula is 40% (400 grams) wholegrains, 60% starches (600 grams).

That's what I said. I said they wouldn't work.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#7 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

That's what I said. I said they wouldn't work.

Another confirmation I need to have my eyes checked!!!!! :lol:

#8 fantasticalice

fantasticalice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

The way I experiment:

I throw batches of stuff together, make up a pancake batter or waffle and go from there.
Alice in Gluten-Free Wonderland

#9 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:53 AM

The way I experiment:

I throw batches of stuff together, make up a pancake batter or waffle and go from there.

Totally wonderfully great idea! Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: