Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Shauna James' gluten-free Flour Mix

9 posts in this topic

I would like to try her gluten-free flour mix formula, but cannot use millet flour. Does anyone have a suggestion for substitutions? Brown rice flour doesn't seem to have any flavor and amaranth I use in small quantities.

I'm interested in hearing what you would use.

Here's the short demo:

http://glutenfreegirl.com/how-to-make-a-gluten-free-all-purpose-flour-mix/

200 grams sorghum

200 grams millet

300 grams potato starch

300 grams sweet rice flour

Ads by Google:

Grains/seeds

besan - chickpea/garbanzo flour - buckwheat flour - teff flour - maize flour - masa harina - Quinoa Flour

Tubers/beans

tapioca flour - soy flour - cornstarch - arrowroot - mung bean flour

others

nut meals - coconut flour - fine grind polenta - chestnut flour - water chestnut flour - acorn flour

Shauna's theory is that there is an optimal ratio of starches/whole grain flours. I wouldn't substitute tapioca, arrowroot or cornstarch for the millet, any of the others would work, depending on the taste you are going for and what you are making. Just substitute the same number of grams.

The problem you get is that if you use something like almond meal or coconut flour is that it absorbs liquids differntly than millet does, so that will affect the end product. Bean flours give things a distinctive taste that some people don't like. Quinoa is useful, buckwheat is good but has a distinct taste/feel,as does teff. I use almond meal a lot in cookies and brownies as I like the taste.

Shauna's theory is that there is an optimal ratio of starches/whole grain flours. I wouldn't substitute tapioca, arrowroot or cornstarch for the millet, any of the others would work, depending on the taste you are going for and what you are making. Just substitute the same number of grams.

The problem you get is that if you use something like almond meal or coconut flour is that it absorbs liquids differntly than millet does, so that will affect the end product. Bean flours give things a distinctive taste that some people don't like. Quinoa is useful, buckwheat is good but has a distinct taste/feel,as does teff. I use almond meal a lot in cookies and brownies as I like the taste.

Tapioca, cornstarch and arrowroot are all starches, so I don't think they would work. Her formula is 40% (400 grams) wholegrains, 60% starches (600 grams).

Grains/seeds

besan - chickpea/garbanzo flour - buckwheat flour - teff flour - maize flour - masa harina - Quinoa Flour

Tubers/beans

tapioca flour - soy flour - cornstarch - arrowroot - mung bean flour

others

nut meals - coconut flour - fine grind polenta - chestnut flour - water chestnut flour - acorn flour

Great list! I have some chickpea flour never opened. Hum. That might just work. It's a bean flour, not wholegrain, but still...might work.

Tapioca, cornstarch and arrowroot are all starches, so I don't think they would work. Her formula is 40% (400 grams) wholegrains, 60% starches (600 grams).

That's what I said. I said they wouldn't work.

That's what I said. I said they wouldn't work.

Another confirmation I need to have my eyes checked!!!!! :lol:

The way I experiment:

I throw batches of stuff together, make up a pancake batter or waffle and go from there.

The way I experiment:

I throw batches of stuff together, make up a pancake batter or waffle and go from there.

Totally wonderfully great idea! Thank you.