Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Shauna James' gluten-free Flour Mix

9 posts in this topic

I would like to try her gluten-free flour mix formula, but cannot use millet flour. Does anyone have a suggestion for substitutions? Brown rice flour doesn't seem to have any flavor and amaranth I use in small quantities.

I'm interested in hearing what you would use.

Here's the short demo:

http://glutenfreegirl.com/how-to-make-a-gluten-free-all-purpose-flour-mix/

200 grams sorghum

200 grams millet

300 grams potato starch

300 grams sweet rice flour

Ads by Google:

Grains/seeds

besan - chickpea/garbanzo flour - buckwheat flour - teff flour - maize flour - masa harina - Quinoa Flour

Tubers/beans

tapioca flour - soy flour - cornstarch - arrowroot - mung bean flour

others

nut meals - coconut flour - fine grind polenta - chestnut flour - water chestnut flour - acorn flour

Shauna's theory is that there is an optimal ratio of starches/whole grain flours. I wouldn't substitute tapioca, arrowroot or cornstarch for the millet, any of the others would work, depending on the taste you are going for and what you are making. Just substitute the same number of grams.

The problem you get is that if you use something like almond meal or coconut flour is that it absorbs liquids differntly than millet does, so that will affect the end product. Bean flours give things a distinctive taste that some people don't like. Quinoa is useful, buckwheat is good but has a distinct taste/feel,as does teff. I use almond meal a lot in cookies and brownies as I like the taste.

Shauna's theory is that there is an optimal ratio of starches/whole grain flours. I wouldn't substitute tapioca, arrowroot or cornstarch for the millet, any of the others would work, depending on the taste you are going for and what you are making. Just substitute the same number of grams.

The problem you get is that if you use something like almond meal or coconut flour is that it absorbs liquids differntly than millet does, so that will affect the end product. Bean flours give things a distinctive taste that some people don't like. Quinoa is useful, buckwheat is good but has a distinct taste/feel,as does teff. I use almond meal a lot in cookies and brownies as I like the taste.

Tapioca, cornstarch and arrowroot are all starches, so I don't think they would work. Her formula is 40% (400 grams) wholegrains, 60% starches (600 grams).

Grains/seeds

besan - chickpea/garbanzo flour - buckwheat flour - teff flour - maize flour - masa harina - Quinoa Flour

Tubers/beans

tapioca flour - soy flour - cornstarch - arrowroot - mung bean flour

others

nut meals - coconut flour - fine grind polenta - chestnut flour - water chestnut flour - acorn flour

Great list! I have some chickpea flour never opened. Hum. That might just work. It's a bean flour, not wholegrain, but still...might work.

Tapioca, cornstarch and arrowroot are all starches, so I don't think they would work. Her formula is 40% (400 grams) wholegrains, 60% starches (600 grams).

That's what I said. I said they wouldn't work.

That's what I said. I said they wouldn't work.

Another confirmation I need to have my eyes checked!!!!! :lol:

The way I experiment:

I throw batches of stuff together, make up a pancake batter or waffle and go from there.

The way I experiment:

I throw batches of stuff together, make up a pancake batter or waffle and go from there.

Totally wonderfully great idea! Thank you.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• That's great to hear you are feeling better Nightsky.  I really think when our GI systems are in distress already that it doesn't take much to set off symptoms.  Once I eliminated the other foods that cause me symptoms that helped a lot too.  And added some extra vitamin D to my diet and selenium. Many of us have developed reactions to other foods besides gluten and need to avoid them to keep symptoms at bay.  For me nightshades, carrots, soy, dairy, and celery all cause symptoms.  It took me awhile to figure out all those food culprits, but it made a big difference getting them out of my diet. But we are all individuals, and our bodies react individually.  So you may or may not have additional food intolerances develop. Celiac is one of those life journey things and we learn as we go.  Just keep the bottle of aspirin handy!
    • I know that Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce  in the US is gluten free, I also know that in Canada it is NOT. This is a very reliable site: http://www.glutenfreedietitian.com/vinegar/ But it is in the US. I'm agast that the Irish Celiac Society says malt vinegar is gluten free.  I wouldn't use it. No sense taking any chance at all.
    • You should never have cut out gluten until you had the biopsy done. It's much worse to have to go back on after you've been off gluten for a while. There's no way I could ever do the gluten challenge after being off gluten for even a month because my reactions got so dramatically worse.  Stress definately can trigger celiac- before I was diagnosed - it got the worst after surgery and after a stressful time planning my daughters wedding. 
    • Hi not diagnosed celiac, Welcome to the forum! Your doctor should be sent to remedial celiac disease training.  Since that probably won't happen, I suggest you find a new doctor.  He doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to diagnosing celiac disease. You should not have gone gluten-free before completing all celiac disease testing.  The testing for celiac disease depends on the immune reaction being active.  Removing gluten before testing removes the antigen that causes the immune system to react, and lowers the chances of getting a correct test result dramatically.  The University of Chicago celiac disease center recommends: ******************************************** http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge/ Prior to blood testing we recommend 12 weeks of eating gluten. Prior to an endoscopic biopsy we recommend 2 weeks of eating gluten. In the case of a severe reaction to gluten, a medical professional may opt to shorten the 12-week challenge and move immediately to an endoscopic biopsy. May, 2013 ******************************************** So you will need to go back to eating gluten before your endoscopy.  That may cause worse symptoms than before when you were eating gluten.  So it would have been better to do all testing before going gluten-free. Can you search for a celiac disease support group in your area?  They exist in many parts of the USA and world.  They can be a good place to get a knowledgeable doctor recommendation.  There is also a doctors subsection of this forum where you can search to see if any doctors in your area were recommended.
    • Hi All, I'm new to this and very confused! I have Lea & Perrins WC sauce, it lists it's first ingredient as Malt Vinegar.  I have the Coeliac Society of Ireland Food List 2015 here, and it says "All Vinegars are Gluten Free including Malt Vinegar." Doesn't that mean that L&P Worcestershire sauce is safe?   Their website states " Lea & Perrins® Worcestershire Sauce is cholesterol free, fat free, preservative free, gluten free and has 80% less sodium than soy sauce. " I'm cooking for my coeliac niece, can't afford to make a mistake!
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    moojoo