21 replies to this topic

#1 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:40 PM

One's doing a blood test, one's doing a stool test *mainly*. A friend of mine wants her son tested and I gave her my extra kit from Prometheus. Then a friend in N.Y. was asking me where to get her son tested and I suggested Enterolab on the east coast. So I began looking them both up on line. And now I'm not sure if they're both created equal...you know? So, are there any hard opinions out there?
I believe in God.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:41 PM

Personally, I am for Prometheus 100%! They are a great lab for celiac testing.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:48 PM

Thanks, Kaiti. I'm feeling the pressure because my friend on the east coast is married to a dr and he's giving her some attitude about testing their son who has had problems since birth. The child is currently on meds and she'd like to find an alternative dx that utilizes a dietary change rather than serious drugs. I'm trying to be delicate in my advice so as not to stir up any tension. She needed to know where to get the tests done, and I'd like all my answers to be the best they can be. So, I will toss out Prometheus as an alternative to Entero in a quick email to her. It must be VERY difficult being married to a dr who questions the likelihood of celiac disease as a reasonable dx. It's bad enough just going into an office you know you can jet out of when you feel ignored.
I believe in God.

#4 Claire

Claire

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:38 PM

Two labs are being mentioned here. Can we add yet another. Great Smoky? I understand that in addition to celiac testing they do some other very sophisticated funtional testing. Anyone have any experience? Claire

#5 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:53 PM

Two labs are being mentioned here. Can we add yet another. Great Smoky? I understand that in addition to celiac testing they do some other very sophisticated funtional testing. Anyone have any experience?  Claire

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've had IgG Food Antibody and Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis tests done at Great Smokies. I think they are mainly known for these types of tests..and they have a great reputation. However, I don't think too many people here have used them for Celiac testing. I think they've just recently started testing for celiac disease and I have no idea about their tests. Enterolab and Prometheus seem to be very well known for running these tests. Maybe Great Smokies will build a reputation but so far I havent seen anything about them with the exception of one guy from another forum. I used Enterolab for my tests.
Rachel

#6 Claire

Claire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:32 PM

Thanks Rachel. I will be so glad if I ever get something definitve. My tale is way too long to tell - you would age while I was telling it.

Right now I have a diagnosis which I don't believe - at least I don't believe it is a primary diagnosis. I believe I am celiac disease or gluten sensitive. Whatever, I have serious neurological complications and neurologist says no gluten - regardless. I will be evaluated at NIH -as soon as I can get an appointment. That will include DNA mapping for spinoccerebellar ataxia.

I was on a gluten controlled diet for years but not gluten free, I just eliminanted the big offenders. That came about because I was diagnosed Type II, Delayed Food Reactions. Now Blood test for celiac is unreliable because of the gluten withdrawal. Stool sample is the only way left to go - unless NIH will map for celiac as well. I am gluten free now.

I am new on the forum. It is quite an experience. Very helpful. I do get concerned about those who don't seem to realize what severe damage gluten can cause - celiac, gluten sensitive or whatever. Silently, it can do you in! Claire :rolleyes:

#7 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:49 PM

Thanks Rachel.  I will be so glad if I ever get something definitve. My tale is way too long to tell - you would age while I was telling it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah...I know how you feel. I had a rough 3 years not knowing what was going on with my health. I've been on disability 2 years and just finally got my positive results last month. I had everything from MRI to Barium to CT scans and tons of bloodwork...nothing ever came back positive till I went to Enterolab. Gluten...who knew??
Well I'm getting better now but still waiting to see if gluten-free is going to bring me back to 100%...I'm about 75% right now. I was probably at 2% a few months back so I'm doing really good. :)
If you've been gluten-free for awhile you probably want to use Enterolab...I think they're the only one who does the stool test and you dont have to go back on gluten for the test. Does Prometheus only do blood? Maybe someone else knows. I'm pretty sure the one guy who used Great Smokies had a blood test too. A blood test wont be accurate unless you're on gluten. Also if you were interested in gene testing Enterolab tests for gluten sensitivity genes as well as celiac genes. I don't think any other lab does that.
Rachel

#8 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 03:04 AM

I was a little late in seeing this topic, but I, too, would go with Prometheus.

#9 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 05:41 AM

I think doctors consider Prometheus labs more seriously than Enterolab. I was not happy with Prometheus.
Michigan

#10 Claire

Claire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:18 AM

Personally, I am for Prometheus 100%! They are a great lab for celiac testing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Kaiti

Blood work only? I have been on a gluten controlled diet for 15 years. Blood work is unreliable. I need a stool sample test.

#11 Claire

Claire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:20 AM

I think doctors consider Prometheus labs more seriously than Enterolab.  I was not happy with Prometheus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What went wrong? Claire

#12 Claire

Claire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:42 AM

Yeah...I know how you feel. I had a rough 3 years not knowing what was going on with my health. I've been on disability 2 years and just finally got my positive results last month. I had everything from MRI to Barium to CT scans and tons of bloodwork...nothing ever came back positive till I went to Enterolab. Gluten...who knew??
Well I'm getting better now but still waiting to see if gluten-free is going to bring me back to 100%...I'm about 75% right now. I was probably at 2% a few months back so I'm doing really good.  :)
If you've been gluten-free for awhile you probably want to use Enterolab...I think they're the only one who does the stool test and you dont have to go back on gluten for the test. Does Prometheus only do blood? Maybe someone else knows. I'm pretty sure the one guy who used Great Smokies had a blood test too. A blood test wont be accurate unless you're on gluten. Also if you were interested in gene testing Enterolab tests for gluten sensitivity genes as well as celiac genes. I don't think any other lab does that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Rachel - you seem to be making great progress. Congratulations. Most discouraging for me right now is that everything takes so long. I wait days into weeks just to get a secretary to make an appointment. I have turned into a first class pest. Right now I am waiting for NIH. Once I get a call back it will be two to three months for the appointment and then that long again for results. This testing will be looking for a genetic form of ataxia - which I don't think I have. I asked the doctor to order the DNA mapping for celiac but I don't know if he did or not. Interesting that he was adamant about gluten - even when not considering celiac as the primary diagnosis.
I have been fighting the system on this issue since 1980. It took 10 years to get the Type II, Delayed Food Reactions diagnosis and that has been it until this year - when the insidious gluten damage showed up and I inadvertently stumbled onto the connection between the Delayed Food Reactions and celiac. I have a medical background so I am a real pain to doctors because I push them to find cause - rather than treating symptoms. I believe the neurological problems are symptomatic. The neurologist sees them as a primary diagnosis. It will take so many months to find out which of us is right. In the meantime I am assuming celiac or gluten sensitivity and will have to do that scouting on my own - unless doctor has ordered the DNA at NIH. My blood work on the food issues showed me reactive to all grains except rice and oats -among other things. Thanks for your note. Claire

#13 Claire

Claire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:43 AM

What went wrong?    Claire

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#14 Claire

Claire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:50 AM

Thanks for the responses. Now can someone help a newbie here with a technical issue. I am new to this forum - have never been on a forum before. How do I reply to a portion of a response without quoting the whole message? I want to make a reply to a response and have it appear with that response but without the quote. Thanks for help. Claire

#15 Claire

Claire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:53 AM

I think doctors consider Prometheus labs more seriously than Enterolab.  I was not happy with Prometheus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry - my reply to you didn't go where I expected it to and is floating around loose. You can tell I am a newbie here. What went wrong for you at Prometheus?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: