This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Birthday Cake

Merrin231

Merrin231 Newbie

My grandson's birthday is coming up. My daughter and i have been experimenting gluten-free cakes mixes, so far he likes none, any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darn210 Enthusiast

First of all, let me ask which mixes you have tried . . . ??

I prefer homemade compared to the mixes that I have tried. This is the recipe that I use:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/gluten-free-yellow-cake/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=gluten%20free%20yellow%20cake&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

Except instead of using tapioca flour, use potato starch. The tapioca flour gives it a spongy texture that I did not care for.

Also, use a fine ground rice flour. Bob's Red Mill is too course and gives a gritty feel. I buy my white rice flour at asian markets (I buy flying horse brand). It's cheaper and a finer grind.

If you want to use a mix, we use the Betty Crocker ones in a pinch. You really need to watch out for over cooking. It will really make the cake dry and crumbly. I usually have better luck with cupcakes when I use Betty Crocker. However, I do have Wilton "bake even strips"

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30D620-475A-BAC0-592117323818A1AA

that I use the last time I needed a cake and it really helped the cake to bake evenly so the sides didn't get horribly dry while I was trying to get the middle done.

I bought these bake even strips at someplace like Michael's or JoAnn's or may have even been WalMart.

Redheath Newbie

Hi, have you tried King Arthur gluten free all purpose flour? It really is delicious and no one in my extended family knew yesterday they ate gluten free for my son's first birthday. They thought I let him and I cheat, as IF!

sa1937 Community Regular

King Arthur also has a delicious gluten-free chocolate cake mix. I haven't tried their newer gluten-free yellow cake mix yet but I bet it would be good, too.

Mizzo Enthusiast

Hi, have you tried King Arthur gluten free all purpose flour? It really is delicious and no one in my extended family knew yesterday they ate gluten free for my son's first birthday. They thought I let him and I cheat, as IF!

Ditto, my family actually enjoys the KA brand chocolate cake and brownies and was disappointed I didn't bake for the last family event.

Mom2J112903 Newbie

Cherrybrook Kitchen IMHO has some REALLY good gluten-free products.

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

At my son's last birthday, we just skipped the cake in favor of an ice cream sundae bar . . . my son thought it was great. Several ice cream flavors, several sauce choices, several sprinkles/toppings. Everyone loved it and we didn't miss the cake at all.

If he must have cake, we usually use a mix (Betty Crocker Gluten Free) and then add to it. There is a "cake doctor" cookbook out that uses gluten-free mixes - some good recipes in there.

I like this recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/is-it-really-better-than-sex-cake-recipe/index.html

I make the pudding and whipped topping from scratch because I don't like a lot of additives. It is always a big hit at parties. With all the extra stuff, you cannot tell the cake is gluten free.

Cara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frieze Community Regular

If he is under 7 or so, it may be a case of "magical thinking." If he doesn't lide what you make, you will cave and give him what he wants....

nvsmom Community Regular

Gluten Free Pantry has a nice brownie mix that could sub for a birthday cake with a nice frosting. It's cake like but nt really a birthday cake so it might work. I'll be using that for my son's 5th birthday next week; he's having a military birthday so I'm putting a small tank and military figures on top. :)

I'll also be trying a couple of recipes from Artisanal Gluten-Free Cupcakes by Bronski. I've heard good things about their cupcakes.

bartfull Rising Star

When I was a kid (and as an adult) I never really liked cake. Mom would make me a pie instead (usually a nice tart rhubarb), and decorate the crust. That merange piecrust that has been mentioned here is really good and you could fill it with whatever is his favorite.

Later on, as a teenager when my sweet tooth COMPLETELY disappeared, I would tell Mom I wanted a lazagna "cake". She made the best lazagna in the world, and she'd put the candles in that. :lol:

I know the little guy is probably not anti-sweet the way I was, but the ice cream thing sounds reasonable. If he doesn't have a problem with corn, you could order an ice cream cake from DQ and just request that it be made without the "crust" of cookie crumbs that they use on the bottom.

beachbirdie Contributor

My grandson's birthday is coming up. My daughter and i have been experimenting gluten-free cakes mixes, so far he likes none, any suggestions?

Maybe an ice cream cake decorated like a baked one? How old is your grandson? Which mixes have you tried?

When I was a kid (and as an adult) I never really liked cake. Mom would make me a pie instead (usually a nice tart rhubarb), and decorate the crust. That merange piecrust that has been mentioned here is really good and you could fill it with whatever is his favorite.

Later on, as a teenager when my sweet tooth COMPLETELY disappeared, I would tell Mom I wanted a lazagna "cake". She made the best lazagna in the world, and she'd put the candles in that. :lol:

I know the little guy is probably not anti-sweet the way I was, but the ice cream thing sounds reasonable. If he doesn't have a problem with corn, you could order an ice cream cake from DQ and just request that it be made without the "crust" of cookie crumbs that they use on the bottom.

Sorry this is slightly OT but what an amazing mom, bartfull! Sweet!

bartfull Rising Star

I know a lot of people say this, but in my case it's true - my Mom was the very best Mom that ever lived! Thanks.

MoMof2Boyz Enthusiast

Pamela's Products chocolate cake mix! very good, turns out very moist.

RL2011 Rookie

For older kids, my suggestion is a Flourless Chocolate Cake or Brownie served warm with vanillaice-cream and a raspberry sauce drizzled over it. I saw a recipe that I have not made from Whole Foods: http://www.wholefood...com/recipes/753

I recently went to the Bonefish Grill and had a (gluten-free) Flourless Macadamia Nut Brownie and itwas delicious.

Juliebove Rising Star

We gave up on cake. Nobody else would eat it and daughter didn't really like it. One year we did Enjoy Life cookies arranged in a tower. Several years we did gluten-free brownies. People usually seem to like those. This year she is on a diet so it will be an Edible Arrangement with no dipped fruit.

rachelh4207 Apprentice

We HATE all the gluten free mixes. I mean GAG.....BUT we LOVE LOVE our bean cake recipe!!!! Here is the link. Promise you can't taste the beans AT ALL!

http://www.healthyindulgences.net/2009/05/healthy-chocolate-cake-with-secret.html

even made a Gluten free king Arthur cake also and let our family taste the two and HANDS down every single person at the party picked the bean cake. We make them into cupcakes. Makes 24. Cook at 325 for 15min or so. make them the night before and let them sit and they have AMAZING texture and SO easy. We even leave out ALL the sugar stuff, and use 1/2 to 3/4cup of maple syrup and honey mixture. Top with REAL heavy cream/cream cheese icing.....YUM YUM

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

I swear by the cake cookbook, "The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten Free" by Anne Byrn. I just use Betty Crocker mixes with her recipes. I've yet to have anyone not LOVE the results. My son's friends all beg me to make the cookies and cream one. In fact, he took those to school and none of the kids could believe they were gluten free. We have family members question if they're really gluten free. It's not entirely cakes, the cloud cookies are amazing! Made those two days ago and turned some into ice cream sandwiches. We made the cheesecake brownies yesterday...AMAZING! I had to limit my son's friends to two brownies each yesterday and they were NOT happy about that! Recently took the cookies and cream cupcakes to the celiac picnic and had people tell me it was the first "real" cupcake they'd had in years! And no, I don't know Anne Byrn or having any interest in her cookbook sales...in fact, I don't even know how I ended up with the cookbook in the first place!

I've also had good results with Kinnikinnick. That's what I used before the Cake Mix Dr. came along.

RMQ Newbie

My son turns one in a few weeks (on his Dad's birthday too!) and I'm going to try this recipe for Ice Cream Pie with a Rice Krispie (the gluten free ones!) crust. It looks kidlicious and my non-celiac husband has been getting DQ cakes for years anyway as he happens to hate cake! I'm excited to try it out! Found it on-line.

Tebow's Special Ice Cream Pie Recipe

Ingredients

2-1/2 cups Rice Krispies

1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons light corn syrup, divided

3 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1/4 cup hot fudge ice cream topping (I will find a gluten-free one or make from scratch)

1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

1 quart (4 cups) vanilla ice cream, softened

Cooking Directions

Combine the corn syrup, the brown sugar, and butter in medium size saucepan.

Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to boil.

Remove from heat. Add rice krispies cereal, stirring until well coated.

Press evenly in 9 in. pie pan to form crust. Stir together peanut butter, fudge sauce, and the 3 T. corn syrup. Spread half the peanut butter mixture over crust. Freeze until firm.

Allow ice cream to soften slightly. Spoon into frozen piecrust, spreading evenly. Freeze until firm. Let pie stand at room temperature about 10 minutes before cutting. Warm remaining peanut butter mixture and drizzle over top.

This recipe was styled by chef Karen Pickus for Good Morning America.

L's Mom Newbie

My friend made the basic double chocolate cake recipe from the Miette cookbook (page 55). It is not a gluten-free cookbook but this particular recipe had little flour in it compared to others so we/she tried it. I guess it was a bit labor intensive (sifting and such) but it was the BEST cake I have had. Period. And I am not Celiac (but we eat this way for my daughter who is). I've been meaning to have her scan the recipe for me. Let me know if you would like it and I will get it for you. She used Cup4Cup flour. And she made cupcakes. (Seriously, they were so good that I let each of my kids have one on my birthday, froze some (they defrost great) and then proceeded to eat 4 myself over the next 2 days.) Also, the Stonewall Bakery Vanilla ones were also great, again with Cup4Cup. Non-gluten-free people raved about them. not knowing they were gluten-free.

https://www.miette.com/main/book

http://www.stonewallkitchen.com/shop/speciality-foods/baking-mixes/110051/553310.html

beebs Enthusiast

I agree with this. My kids haven't even noticed switching to gluten free and two of them don't even have issues with gluten. Majority rules in this house, so they go without.

Also - unless you guys are doing something totally different in the states, I am really unsure how you can even tell. Lots of the gluten-free mixes over here taste exactly like the normal version of the cake??

If he is under 7 or so, it may be a case of "magical thinking." If he doesn't lide what you make, you will cave and give him what he wants....

Pac Apprentice

Also - unless you guys are doing something totally different in the states, I am really unsure how you can even tell. Lots of the gluten-free mixes over here taste exactly like the normal version of the cake??

I don't use mixes, but otherwise I have the same experience - cakes and cookies are the easiest thing to make gluten-free without people noticing any difference... I use bean flour if I want to make flour cake. Most often I skip the flour and use only "the good stuff" as my family calls it - nuts, coconut, chocolate, pinapple, poppy seed, cocoa.

MTsky Newbie

I used this cake recipe with good results

http://www.livingwithout.com/recipes/gluten_free_vanilla_cake-1417-1.html

I also made cupcakes with this recipe that everyone loved at his birthday party.

http://www.52kitchenadventures.com/2012/05/02/gluten-free-cupcakes-with-nutella-cloud-frosting/

I used Gluten Free Mama Almond flour blend for both.

• 5 years later...
mary ellen o Newbie
On 7/20/2012 at 11:37 PM, CeliacMom2008 said:

I swear by the cake cookbook, "The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten Free" by Anne Byrn. I just use Betty Crocker mixes with her recipes. I've yet to have anyone not LOVE the results. My son's friends all beg me to make the cookies and cream one. In fact, he took those to school and none of the kids could believe they were gluten free. We have family members question if they're really gluten free. It's not entirely cakes, the cloud cookies are amazing! Made those two days ago and turned some into ice cream sandwiches. We made the cheesecake brownies yesterday...AMAZING! I had to limit my son's friends to two brownies each yesterday and they were NOT happy about that! Recently took the cookies and cream cupcakes to the celiac picnic and had people tell me it was the first "real" cupcake they'd had in years! And no, I don't know Anne Byrn or having any interest in her cookbook sales...in fact, I don't even know how I ended up with the cookbook in the first place!

I've also had good results with Kinnikinnick. That's what I used before the Cake Mix Dr. came along.

I absolutely love Ann Byrn's book!!!! There is an amazing mix of cakes... absolutely recommend this book!

Archived