30 replies to this topic

#16 ROYAL BLUE

ROYAL BLUE

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 04:44 PM

Lubriderm hand lotion is gluten-free. Be aware of which one you buy because I noticed they now have one containing Oatmeal.
Tracy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 05:25 PM

Steve,

Oops! It sounds like you are going through caffeine withdrawal. I forgot about that possibility! Options at this point include 1.) resuming your former beverage consumption habits (probably not the wisest choice, at least at this time); 2.) toughing it out for a week or two, but getting ALL the caffeine out of your system; or 3.) consuming small amounts of caffeine (maybe green tea, as long as you verify that the teabags are gluten-free) until you reach a level where your withdrawal symptoms abate, then tapering off from there if you desire to.

As for lotions, I have been using Johnson & Johnson 24-hour soothing body lotion (or something like that--I can't remember the exact name) and have had no trouble with it. It did great things for my hands in short order, too! I don't know about soaps, though.

I hope you start feeling better soon!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#18 SteveW

SteveW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 02:35 PM

Here's an update:
I've been feeling better for the past 5 day's. :D
Here is what I believe was causing me problems:

-Eggs-I can have them once and a while with no problems but I had been eating 4 a day-so I've cut that way back.

-Freda Vitamins-They are free of everything(so they say) but for now I'm staying away from any supplements.

-Chicken!-This is a shock to me.Chicken has been a staple to my diet forever but most of my stomach pain and diarrhea is directly caused by eating Chicken-Is that possible?I've tried whole chickens,boneless breasts and different brands....No luck :(

-Meals that are Too Big-I lost another 4 lbs(total of 25) and I'm really trying to get my weight going in the right direction so I try to over eat and that overtaxing my system.

-Fiber-I was getting Too Much Fiber-Cut back Peanut Butter-Nuts and Veggies

That's It. Still a work in progress.

I just wish my weight would come back up.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Steve

#19 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 04:52 PM

I have no clue why, but chicken cooked in olive oil in a skillet has always bothered me. Makes me feel icky in general - even before any celiac disease symptoms. I can have grilled chicken, stir fried chicken, baked chicken, and olive oil up the wazoo, but the whole "pan fry the chicken in the skillet with some olive oil thing" always makes me nausous and not feel well.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#20 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 06:00 PM

Steve--I assume you've tried Perdue's chicken, which is gluten-free and available everywhere. Have you tried organic free-range chicken? It may be too expensive to eat every day, but it might be worth checking out whether you can tolerate it, just for the sake of narrowing down the specific problem. (You're not blood type B or AB, are you? I am a proponent of the Blood Type Diet, and chicken is supposed to be one of the most problematic foods for these types.) It sounds like you are on the road to figuring out the reasons for your troubles, and that is great news!

tarnalberry--That is absolutely fascinating! Do you think it might have something to do with heating the olive oil, or can you eat anything except chicken sauteed in it?

I hope you're both doing well!
Sarah

#21 dclark519

dclark519

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 07:37 PM

Hi , centrum one a day is gluten free, as is Jergens, if this is wrong someone let me know. seeking wholeness, i am blood type o negative. could you e-mail me the info. on that blood type diet? my e-mail is dclark519@insightbb.com. I would really appreciate it. also if anyone has a woodmans grocery store near them, they carry a wonderful choice of gluten-free foods! thanks and hope everyone is doing great. Also wondering, I have been eating reg. food for a week for an accurate biopsy, and cried alot today, do the foods cause the emotional trouble too? My biopsy is tomorrow, I have felt absolutely hoorible on a reg. diet and cannot wait to resume gluten-free weds. ! never thought I'd say that!! :D e-mail and let me know please! I have only been diagnosed 5 weeks and am 35. so I need all the help I can get! thanks again! dawn

#22 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 08:09 PM

Hi, Dawn!

My computer is having virus trouble and I don't want to infect your computer, so I'll just reply on the board for now. The website for the Blood Type Diet is here, although the detailed food lists are not included on the site for copyright reasons. (Isn't it crazy that the author of the book has to ask the publisher for permission to reprint his own work?) You can probably find the introductory book, Eat Right 4 Your Type, and the more in-depth follow-up book, Live Right 4 Your Type, at your local library. Read Eat Right first, then Live Right. If you choose to go with the basic diet rather than the more specific one for your particular subtype, keep in mind that A FEW of the food values have changed since the publication of Eat Right due to new discoveries and improved testing methods (they are NOT expected to change again). The most up-to-date summary of the basic diet will be found in the "little book" for your type, which is conveniently small enough to fit in your purse. I hope you find that the Blood Type Diet meets your needs!

Oh, and yes, gluten-containing foods can certainly provoke an emotional reaction! Just read my posts in the thread entitled "Coping with Kids' Gluten Accidents..." over in the kids/babies forum and you'll see....

I hope you're having a great day!
Sarah

#23 SteveW

SteveW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 03:49 PM

Sarah
I'm not even sure what blood type I am.

I'm not sure if Perdue was one of the brands I tried.
I assumed that all fresh whole chickens and boneless breasts were gluten-free.

Am I wrong?

If yes, how is Gluten put into the chicken?

I'll try out some Purdue this weekend and see what happens. :o

Thanks
Steve

#24 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 07:22 PM

Steve,

Because mass-produced chickens cook up rubbery and tasteless, many manufacturers inject the flesh with either a brine solution or chicken broth to improve their flavor and texture. These may contain gluten, especially the broth. I'm not sure how the label must be worded, but I know I have seen "with natural flavors added" or some such phrase on packages of poultry. This doesn't necessarily mean that the product contains gluten (Shady Brook Farms poultry says this but is gluten-free, for instance), but it is a red flag to contact the manufacturer about the product. I hope you can find a brand you can tolerate!
Sarah

#25 SteveW

SteveW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 05:06 PM

Sarah,
Wow. Thatís an eye opener!
I just noticed some pork chops in my fridge have a lot more in them than pork. Natural Flavors, Pork Broth......
Thanks you for saving me from a lot of pain and confusion :D
Steve

#26 dclark519

dclark519

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 06:50 PM

thank you very much for the info! Hope everyone is doing great, have a wonderful weekend! Dawn :D

#27 SteveW

SteveW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 02:21 PM

Update.

Well I'm now Soda and Coffee Free for the first time in 20 years!
It was hard to do but my stomach thanks me and I sleep so much better.

I'm finally getting some results from the diet. Iíve had 3 good weeks, with a couple of bad days here and there, overall I'm starting to find out whatís really causing my GI symptoms.

I was Still having GI problems 2 1/2 months into this diet until I stopped eating RICE. It was Carolina Jasmine Rice. I was assured by the company that the rice was gluten-free but as soon as I stopped eating it my symptoms cleared up.

Still can't handle ANY vitamin supplements

The Good List:
Steak
Fish
Shrimp
Eggs
Sweet Potatoes
Frozen Veggies
Apples, Bananas
Peanut Butter-Raw Almonds
MI DEL Chocolate Cookies

Not much, but not too bad.
Steve

#28 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 02:33 PM

Steve,

That's a pretty solid basis for a healthy diet, even if it probably does get a bit boring at times. I'm glad your body is happy about being caffeine-free. I chose to give up caffeine completely (even decaf drinks) several months ago, and it worked wonders for me. It was HARD, though--even harder for me than going gluten-free turned out to be!

A question: I have seen some brand of Jasmine rice that was enriched, but I can't remember what it was called. Is Carolina brand enriched? Sometimes the vitamins they spray on white rice are derived from BARLEY, and customer service representatives often don't have much information available to answer "technical" questions like we have to ask!

I'm glad you're doing better, and I hope you continue to see progress!
Sarah

#29 SteveW

SteveW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 02:49 PM

Sarah,
It's Carolina and it is enriched. That must be whats bothering my system.

You're so right about Customer Reps.I'm starting to realize that 99% of the people I talk to have no idea how many ways gluten get's in/on food.

Steve

#30 ejulian

ejulian

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 11:26 AM

Cold-water coffee - we have used a Coffee Toddy for years (20+) and have given one to every member of our family (to varying degrees of acceptance). It's basically a plastic bucket/bowl, with a filter in the bottom, and a plug below that. You fill it up with a can of ground coffee, add water to the top, and let it set a day or two. Drain it into a carafe and keep it in the refrigerator. Then you use it like instant, putting a 1/4 inch in the bottom of your cup and filling it with boiling water. It's smooooth and acid free, and I think it's the best tasting coffee in the world. Those who love the bite of Starbucks don't like it as much - they feel like it's too weak, but since you can control how weak or strong it is, that's not the problem. They're just missing the acid. We take a jarfull on our trips, so we always have our favorite coffee, with no more hassle than boiling water. It's nice to know that something that tastes so good might actually be compatible with my new gluten-free diet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: