This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nightshade Intolerance?

mylittle3

mylittle3 Newbie

Hello,

I'm new here to posting but have been reading the forum for awhile now. I have been gluten free for nearly two years due to suspected celiac disease. When I was tested, I'd already been gluten free for six months so all results said negative. I aslo had the gene testing which came back extremely low. I also have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism.

So, since having gone gluten-free, I've felt like a new person. Within three days of eating this way, my stomach felt like new. Fast forward to the last five months and I've been having episodes of diarrhea. Only in the morning, never at nights. I'm wondering if nightshades might be the culprit here. I am ridiculously careful about cc and my whole house is gluten-free. No chance of cc at all. I rarely eat out ever and if I do, it's just at PF Chang's. My symptoms are loose stool, cramps and diarrhea only in the mornings. Can a nightshade problem produce these symptoms? I have a feeling it might tomatoes and potatoes. I definitely cannot tolerate any paprika or cumin. Any insight or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I am highly frustrated since I am so careful about the gluten and having diarrhea for the last five months. Thanks so much! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Salax Contributor

Welcome to the board!

I do find that nightshades as well as dairy give me those symptoms, and together...whoa! So it is possible for sure that nightshades could do that to you. I would remove them and see how you feel :D

Feel better! :)

mylittle3 Newbie

Welcome to the board!

I do find that nightshades as well as dairy give me those symptoms, and together...whoa! So it is possible for sure that nightshades could do that to you. I would remove them and see how you feel :D

Feel better! :)

Thank you! I seem to only tolerate peppers from the nightshade family. No potatoes or tomatoes for me, lol. Dairy is up in the air for me right now. If I have milk that's cooked in something (like muffins or pancakes) then I'm fine. But if I eat ice cream, um, things aren't good the next morning as I end up with diarrhea.

Can I ask a question? Does anyone have trouble with oats too? I tried the Bob's Red Mill certified gluten-free oats and man did I bloat up like a pregnant woman. It lasted for two days till I realized it must have been the oats since that was the only new thing I'd eaten.

mushroom Proficient

Oats give many celiacs problems, even the certified gluten free oats. The oat protein seems to be a bit too closely related to the gliadin protein. The gluten avoidance trio is often modified to tack on oats as well.

mylittle3 Newbie

Oats give many celiacs problems, even the certified gluten free oats. The oat protein seems to be a bit too closely related to the gliadin protein. The gluten avoidance trio is often modified to tack on oats as well.

What is the gluten avoidance trio? I've never heard of that before. Thanks!

kareng Grand Master

What is the gluten avoidance trio? I've never heard of that before. Thanks!

Wheat, rye, barley

mylittle3 Newbie

Wheat, rye, barley

Oh, ok gotcha. :) I'm already avoiding all of that due to suspected celiac disease. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived