2 replies to this topic

#1 BlueJean

BlueJean

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

About 2 years ago I had paralyzing pain and stiffness in both knees for no apparent reason. All xrays, MRI showed nothing but mild arthritis. Cortisone shots did little. I had the pain for over a year before deciding to try going gluten free. Within three days, I was pain free. Well, I've been ok until now. I haven't been 100% compliant, because it seemed I could tolerate a little gluten without feeling it. But suddenly, the swelling and stiffness is returning. So I buckled down and eliminated all gluten, no cheats. However, the condition is just not responding like it did the first time.

I know I have a wheat/or gluten condition of some sort because eating a moderate amount gives me horrible gas, which I've been free of with gluten free eating. But the swelling and joint pain is making me wonder if its related or not. Went to a rheumatologist when it first happened and all tests were negative there too. Just wondering if you get more sensitive as time goes on and why the knees aren't getting better since I've been 100% compliant. If anyone has had a similar experience I'd like to hear it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

Before I knew I had celiac, I had problems with knee swelling from tendonitis and ruptured ligaments. You see, muscles, tendons, and ligaments can be affected by celiac disease. I found out that my muscles just weren't "right," and I had to see a physical therapist about strengthening certain muscles and stretching others. For the knees, I had to strengthen the quadriceps and stretch the hamstrings in order for the pain, swelling, and weakness to go away.

Now that I know that what I have is celiac disease, I know that when I'm low in manganese and zinc, I have trouble with muscles, tendons, and ligaments. It's best to take chelated forms of both...and you might see if this would be a fast fix for your knees. You should do some form of therapeutic exercises, though, to strength your quadriceps muscles.

#3 Yup

Yup

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

You may also be lactose intolerant. I was having feet, knees and leg issues because of lactose. It was blocking me from absorbing calcium and magnesium. I cut the lactose and started on Caltrate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: