17 replies to this topic

#1 dani nero

dani nero

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

I just discovered I might be a chocoholic, and the chocolates at the stores are incredibly unhealthy as they contain tons of sugar, unhealthy fats, as well as soy and preservatives. I can't do dairy, soy, or sugar to begin with, so I decided to learn how to make my own chocolate with coconut milk, cocoa powder, and honey... I don't know what sort of fat to use.. maybe coconut oil?

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with making such treats and if you're willing to share any tips :-) Just that the ingredients have to be healthy!

So far I found a few pages that I'm going to use as a starting point.
In case anyone else wants to make chocolate, and here are the links:
http://www.nourishin...ened-chocolate/
http://www.naturalhe...-chocolate.html
http://chocolatecove...ocolate-bars-1/
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 genieb

genieb

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Interesting links. Thank you. I have a recipe called Better 'N Fudge that I make with cocoa powder, natural peanute butter (could use other nut or seed butters), honey, dates and lots of seeds and nuts. Some of the "healthy candy" recipes I've tried taste pretty nasty, but we love this one. The old recipes weren't like the ones you linked to so I will definitely go back and look at those better when I have time.

#3 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:14 AM

Just wondering why sugar is no good but honey is okay? Sucrose is glucose + fructose, and honey is full of fructose, which signals your liver to make fat, so you're not gaining any health benefits by substituting honey for normal table sugar.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for the links Dani. I might try this with carob and stevia. I am not sure the coconut oil will work for me though. Got to experiment to find out I guess. I made something similar using beeswax and stevia a while back. You don't need very much beeswax to harden a candy. I am not sure of if there are any health issues with beeswax though.

There are some ideas on safe chocolate in this thread below.

Chocolate What chocolate do super sensitives tolerate best
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#5 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

Just wondering why sugar is no good but honey is okay? Sucrose is glucose + fructose, and honey is full of fructose, which signals your liver to make fat, so you're not gaining any health benefits by substituting honey for normal table sugar.

I don't measure health by fattening factors. Honey naturally contains some minerals and enzymes, and since it's not processed it is absorbed by the body at a slower rate. In my culture honey is used as a natural remedy. Normal sugar is a processed product and contains nothing. Even if both are fattening the difference between the two to me is like earth and sky :-) Do you have suggestions for something else? I would gladly exchange honey for something else that is natural and healthy with less calories :-D
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#6 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

I don't measure health by fat. Honey naturally contains some minerals and enzymes, and since it's not processed it is absorbed by the body at a slower rate. In my culture honey is used as a natural remedy. Normal sugar is a processed product and contains nothing. Even if both are fattening the difference between the two to me is like earth and sky :-) Do you have suggestions for something else? I would gladly exchange honey for something else that is natural and healthy with less calories :-D

My understanding is that Stevia makes chocolate 'seize' unless done exactly right, so you might want to avoid that. As far as I know that's the only zero-calorie natural sweetener out there. You are correct about honey, it is one of the best, most healthy options available for sweetener.

I have been buying 'york peppermint patties' from Trader Joe's that are made with honey. I purposefully haven't had one so that I don't get addicted to them, but hubby says they are AMAZING, so adding honey to chocolate makes a good flavor apparently!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#7 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for the links Dani. I might try this with carob and stevia. I am not sure the coconut oil will work for me though. Got to experiment to find out I guess. I made something similar using beeswax and stevia a while back. You don't need very much beeswax to harden a candy. I am not sure of if there are any health issues with beeswax though.

There are some ideas on safe chocolate in this thread below.

Chocolate What chocolate do super sensitives tolerate best

You're very welcome!
Please add your recipes if you develop a yummy one!

I tried to use stevia and the brands I got tasted repulsive :-O What type do you use? Can I buy it online? And honey wax sounds amazing! Since it's natural I'm positive it's healthy ;-)
Also G6PD

#8 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

My understanding is that Stevia makes chocolate 'seize' unless done exactly right, so you might want to avoid that. As far as I know that's the only zero-calorie natural sweetener out there. You are correct about honey, it is one of the best, most healthy options available for sweetener.

I have been buying 'york peppermint patties' from Trader Joe's that are made with honey. I purposefully haven't had one so that I don't get addicted to them, but hubby says they are AMAZING, so adding honey to chocolate makes a good flavor apparently!

It might be worth the effort to get it right with stevia but the problem is that I wasn't able to find a brand that doesn't taste like burnt chemicals ;-( Which ones do you use?
Also G6PD

#9 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:26 AM

Here's yet another recipe

http://colourmehappy...y-sea-salt.html
Also G6PD

#10 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

Just a little update, I tried making the coconut oil and cocoa powder recipe and it did not meet with my liking. It wasn't creamy at all, and swallowing it made my throat feel like it was coated with oil. I'm never making that one again.
Also G6PD

#11 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

You're very welcome!
Please add your recipes if you develop a yummy one!

I tried to use stevia and the brands I got tasted repulsive :-O What type do you use? Can I buy it online? And honey wax sounds amazing! Since it's natural I'm positive it's healthy ;-)

Will do on the recipes Dani. May take me a while though. The brand I use is called Stevia in the Raw. I know some people don't like the taste of stevia,. It seems fine to me but my cousin thinks it is yucky.. Another sweetner people say is healthy is agave syrup. It is made from the cactus.

The beeswax can help to harden the chocolate or any candy for that matter. You have to be careful not to add much of it though or it kills the flavor.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#12 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

It might be worth the effort to get it right with stevia but the problem is that I wasn't able to find a brand that doesn't taste like burnt chemicals ;-( Which ones do you use?

I have the same reaction to stevia, have not yet found one to my liking. I have been thinking about learning how to bake with it. Thus far, I have been baking with honey and maple syrup and occasionally agave nectar.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#13 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

This one isn't really candy chocolate recipe but I thought it was very interesting since it's made creamy using avocados :-)

http://www.wholelivi...43&slide=129183
Also G6PD

#14 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

I have the same reaction to stevia, have not yet found one to my liking. I have been thinking about learning how to bake with it. Thus far, I have been baking with honey and maple syrup and occasionally agave nectar.

I've read in one of the recipes that NuNaturals's vanilla stevia https://nunaturals.com/product/105 is good. I can't get some though because shipping costs a ton :-)
Also G6PD

#15 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

Here are some more recipes for homemade chocolate:
http://glutenfreevil...uct-reviews/max
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: