20 replies to this topic

#1 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

How does everyone deal with smart elic family and friends who say things like, "Uh huh and how did you figure that one out," and "Pretty soon you won't be able to eat anything." Do these people not remember first grade picture books and learning all their fruits and veggies? Come on now. Ugh! <_< I want to write up a list of every fruit and veggie and grain and nut and every meat and every natural herb and spice and juice known to man and send it to them. Everything I can't eat on another list like wheat, rye, barley, oats, dairy, and corn. Which list would be longer? Hmmm.

Even if they weren't trying to be a smart elic. How would that be an appropriate response? Its like they are trying to rub your face in it like you're a dog and everything you told them is a pile of you know what. I honestly feel really hurt right now :'(

It is like they are jealous that I have more discipline and resolve than them that I have figured out what works for my body and am getting healthier and losing weight. In such a case who exactly is the pitiful one? You know what I am proud of what I am doing and anyone who can't support people like us, they do not deserve us. :D
Gluten and Oat Free 6/'12
Dairy, Corn and Yeast free 7/'12
Nightshade Free, Candida diet & low salicylates 8/'12
Nightshades and carbs and sugars limitedly reintroduced, most salicylates now tolerated 9/'12
No longer Reacting to yeasty breads 10/'12
Test confirmed yeast overgrowth, back on Candida diet 11/'12

You only get one life so make it count.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

How does everyone deal with smart elic family and friends who say things like, "Uh huh and how did you figure that one out," and "Pretty soon you won't be able to eat anything." Do these people not remember first grade picture books and learning all their fruits and veggies? Come on now. Ugh! <_< I want to write up a list of every fruit and veggie and grain and nut and every meat and every natural herb and spice and juice known to man and send it to them. Everything I can't eat on another list like wheat, rye, barley, oats, dairy, and corn. Which list would be longer? Hmmm.

Even if they weren't trying to be a smart elic. How would that be an appropriate response? Its like they are trying to rub your face in it like you're a dog and everything you told them is a pile of you know what. I honestly feel really hurt right now :'(

It is like they are jealous that I have more discipline and resolve than them that I have figured out what works for my body and am getting healthier and losing weight. In such a case who exactly is the pitiful one? You know what I am proud of what I am doing and anyone who can't support people like us, they do not deserve us. :D

Oh hunny I'm sorry your feeling have been hurt by these people. Sometimes I think they say things like that because they have absolutely NO IDEA what we're talking about. Some ofcourse, are just being rotten but others really just don't know how to respond or how to process the info. I'm sorry you had to go through that, I'd be glad to hear your progress anytime! :) hope you have a better day!!
~**caselynn**~

#3 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

Oh hunny I'm sorry your feeling have been hurt by these people. Sometimes I think they say things like that because they have absolutely NO IDEA what we're talking about. Some ofcourse, are just being rotten but others really just don't know how to respond or how to process the info. I'm sorry you had to go through that, I'd be glad to hear your progress anytime! :) hope you have a better day!!

Thx caselynn for your comforting and supportive words. Idk where I would be without you and people like you on this forum.
Nightshades and carbs and sugars limitedly reintroduced, most salicylates now tolerated 9/'12

#4 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

Hey, us gluten free-ers have to stick together! :)
~**caselynn**~

#5 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

Hey, us gluten free-ers have to stick together! :)

Lol I wish there was a like button on this forum ;) but since there is not, I will have to make do: I like.

#6 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

We're here for you, Razzle. (((((HUGS)))))

I'm lucky I guess. Except for the friend who told me once that he thought I was getting carried away after after I chastised him when he touched my food with gluteny hands, I don't let what others say bother me. I was earlier into this back then and I tore his head off. :lol:

Now I just look at them and say something along the lines of, "Yeah, so you should feel sorry for me and go get me some Hagen Daz."

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#7 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

We're here for you, Razzle. (((((HUGS)))))

I'm lucky I guess. Except for the friend who told me once that he thought I was getting carried away after after I chastised him when he touched my food with gluteny hands, I don't let what others say bother me. I was earlier into this back then and I tore his head off. :lol:

Now I just look at them and say something along the lines of, "Yeah, so you should feel sorry for me and go get me some Hagen Daz."

Hehe! :lol: I would have said no I was carried away when I was I'll and malnourished but now I'm standing my ground.

#8 Newbee

Newbee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

Some people don't get and some people don't want to get it either. It is annoying I know. I feel like I'm being judged constantly about what I do and do not eat. I love the blank looks people give me when they ask about my diet and I then explain it to them.

#9 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

I put a hex on them until I got past the anger stage. My hexes never worked but they made me feel better about jerky family or friends. B)

Here's a super secret. Just cross your fingers under the table toward the offender and officially give them a dirty look. And carry on. Have fun, eat and drink heathy and hex the heck out of anybody who says that's not right. They're not right.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#10 Newbee

Newbee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

Good idea Marilyn R! This reminds me I have a voodoo doll. Sounds like that could work too. :lol:

#11 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

Oh my! Haha 😝😝😝😲
~**caselynn**~

#12 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:37 AM

Lol I wish there was a like button on this forum ;) but since there is not, I will have to make do: I like.

It's amazing how many people think they will starve if gluten is taken out of their diets. Makes ya wonder if they ever eat anything other than bread and cereal.
As to a 'like' button we do have one and also a dislike button. On the upper right hand side of someones post are a plus and a minus sign to agree or disagree. I use it sometimes when someone has given advice that is the same thing I would have given rather than repeating the same thing in a later post.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#13 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

As I was diagnosed very quickly... when people asked me what the symptoms of celiac disease are, I'd say, "Unexplained weight loss is often a big one." Then I'd look down at myself and say, "Um... I didn't get that one."

When people would say stupid things like, "What on earth do you EAT?"... I'd again look down at myself and say, "Um... do I LOOK like I'm starving??"

Isn't it amazing how clueless people are about what we eat??
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#14 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

As I was diagnosed very quickly... when people asked me what the symptoms of celiac disease are, I'd say, "Unexplained weight loss is often a big one." Then I'd look down at myself and say, "Um... I didn't get that one."

When people would say stupid things like, "What on earth do you EAT?"... I'd again look down at myself and say, "Um... do I LOOK like I'm starving??"

Isn't it amazing how clueless people are about what we eat??

That is basically what I said: "I'm not starving by any means"

Maybe we should counter with, "what besides bread do You eat?"

#15 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

That is basically what I said: "I'm not starving by any means"

Maybe we should counter with, "what besides bread do You eat?"

I have said before," If I didn't tell you I had Celiac Disease, would you have even questioned the fact that I'm eating a salad??" if anything it gets my point acrossed, I eat the same healthy things they do, I just like mind modified a little! 😜
~**caselynn**~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: