1 reply to this topic

#1 jams

jams

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:18 AM

I used to have a "family tree" of all grains. It showed what family that wheat, rye and barley gluten was in. I have a gal at work who is insistant that I can eat Spelt. She knows nothing about Celiacs. She is trying to learn but is a little on the stubborn side. If I could find a family tree to show her it may help.

I am so mad at myself that I lost it! I have a binder with all Celiac info in.... just not my little family tree. I don't even remember where I got it from. It was a handy tool though!!

So, if anyone has one or knows where I can find one.... I would REALLY appreciate it!

Thank you!!
Angi
Milw/Madison, Wisconsin
Diagnosed 12-2003 positive biopsy confirmed w/bloodwork
gluten-free from 5-2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:48 AM

I don't have a tree but here's what wikipedia says in part:

"Spelt (Triticum spelta) is a species of wheat.

Spelt is considered to be a hybrid of emmer wheat and einkorn wheat that originated in the Near East, where it was cultivated at least 3000 years ago...

As it contains a high amount of gluten, it is suitable for baking. However, the gluten in spelt is different from that in normal wheat and therefore spelt can be consumed by some gluten-intolerant people."

SOME gluten intolerant people -- not all. And some who are allergic to wheat can eat it. But I know plenty of people with celiac who have gotten very sick.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: