Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ugh ... This Time It Was Milk That Got Me

9 posts in this topic

I haven't been around here for a while because I've been feeling SO much better after completely cutting out gluten. So yesterday I got overly optimistic. I've been eating yogurt with no problem (but no other dairy), and I thought I would try some goat milk (which is supposed to be easier to digest - maybe that's a myth) and see if I tolerated it. I did NOT. 36 hours later I still feel really really miserable, though at least the diarrhea has stopped. My glutening symptoms are more neurological although there is some GI stuff too. I just can't believe how much my stomach hurts right now.

Somebody tell me how to make it better. :(

Ads by Google:

I haven't been around here for a while because I've been feeling SO much better after completely cutting out gluten. So yesterday I got overly optimistic. I've been eating yogurt with no problem (but no other dairy), and I thought I would try some goat milk (which is supposed to be easier to digest - maybe that's a myth) and see if I tolerated it. I did NOT. 36 hours later I still feel really really miserable, though at least the diarrhea has stopped. My glutening symptoms are more neurological although there is some GI stuff too. I just can't believe how much my stomach hurts right now.

Somebody tell me how to make it better. :(

Wow! I go to my Digestive Doc next week and besides the Celiac I gotta ask him about the Dairy too. I'm on 2nd day of stomach pain and diarrhea. This is horrible. I hope the best for you.

Wow! I go to my Digestive Doc next week and besides the Celiac I gotta ask him about the Dairy too. I'm on 2nd day of stomach pain and diarrhea. This is horrible. I hope the best for you.

Thanks. I don't know if it's the casein or the lactose. I hope you figure out what's going on with you.

Hi! Have you ever tried coconut milk? I think it's really delicious, and it's opaque white so it really looks like milk. The taste is very mild, and doesn't taste like coconut at all. My favorite brand is "So Delicious" (original flavor). Makes great smoothies too. It probably works great in recipes too, but I haven't had a chance to try that yet.

Hi! Have you ever tried coconut milk? I think it's really delicious, and it's opaque white so it really looks like milk. The taste is very mild, and doesn't taste like coconut at all. My favorite brand is "So Delicious" (original flavor). Makes great smoothies too. It probably works great in recipes too, but I haven't had a chance to try that yet.

I sometimes make smoothies with straight coconut milk with no additives. Doesn't "So Delicious" have additives in it?

It tastes great in desserts (especially with vanilla). It is also delicious in chowder. I reduced it on the stovetop and then add it last to simmer.

HI,

If you have a reaction to eating hard cheese like cheddar it is probably a casein issue. Most of the lactose is gone in hard cheeses. You can always take a couple lactaid pills when you eat the cheese just to be sure it is not lactose sugar. The lactaid digests the lactose, so if there was any trace of lactose left that would get rid of it. So you would be left with a chunk of casein to digest. You might need to do this test for 3 to 5 days in a row to see a solid reaction. This of course won't worlk if you are eating any other dairy during the time. Other dairy would muddy the waters and invalidate the test. Make sure the lactaid pills are gluten-free first though. It's an easy-peasy test really.

I sometimes make smoothies with straight coconut milk with no additives. Doesn't "So Delicious" have additives in it?

Any "additives" in "So Delicious" are vegetable or mineral based, natural and gluten free. They are all on the safe list on this site. I don't think there are any problems with it. Anyone have any other ideas about the different coconut milks? Do the additives make it no longer a whole food, and instead a processed food? Very curious about this. I'm interested in the digestibility of it for one thing. Bought some straight coconut milk in a can from Trader Joe's but haven't tried it yet. Hope it tastes as good.

Additive free coconut milk in a can does taste just as good as the ones with additives! I didn't even know Trader Joe's carried the canned type. It's even thicker and creamier too which makes it great used straight in recipes in place of cream, I imagine, or with water added for drinking. You learn something new every day!