#1 troykm

troykm

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:38 AM

This is what was found in my biopsy.

"Sections consist of a single fragments of heavily denuded duodenal mucosa with an abnormal architexture comprising mild to moderate villous atrophy associated with crypt hyperplasia. There is a significant generalized increase in intraepithelial lymphocytes associated with degenerative changes with in the remaining surface epithelium. Within the lamina propria there is a mild increase in mixed inflammatory cells. parasite are not seen. The appearances are those of a moderate variable villous abnormality without diagnostic histology. A differential diagnosis include celiac disease, other protein allergies, infectious gastroenteritis and nonspecific chronic duodenitis. The appearance is consistent with but not diagnostic of partially treated cealiac disease."

So what is that saying? Yes to celiac or it may be one of many other things?

Did yours say anything like this?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

I would interpret this as: "showing some initial, overall inflammation, but not yet severe enough to point to one specific cause. Are you gluten-free? How do you feel?
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#3 troykm

troykm

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

I would interpret this as: "showing some initial, overall inflammation, but not yet severe enough to point to one specific cause. Are you gluten-free? How do you feel?

Yes I want gluten free after this biopsy result as the Gi Dr said it was most likely celiac. But after that my blood work
came back negative for antibodies so now she is not sure and is freaking me out. She just keeps saying hmmm not sure let's catch up again in two weeks bla bla bla. I stI'll don't have the genetic test results yet but hopefully they come Monday.

Yes I'm gluten free and felt great for the first 2 weeks. Symptoms started to go. My post nasal drip has stopped and that I've had from childhood. Even had two operations to fix it but neither worked. Even my throat just feels more open if that makes sense. But this week I am feeling very tired, lethargic, slight anxiety and some muscle weakness. Is that just gluten withdrawal?

Thanks

#4 troykm

troykm

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

I should add that I'm questioning all this because my GI Dr has suggested that (as I am gay) that I may have hiv as that can cause celiac like things. Now unless hiv has become air born in the last few years it's not possible but she has made me panic now. What if!

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

Some of us can have false negatives on blood work. The biopsy results do suggest celiac so glad to hear you are giving the diet a shot. We do have ups and downs usually in the beginning as we get used to the new lifestyle. Hopefully the diet will take care of your problems but being on the diet will not mask testing for other stuff if that should be needed. I hope you continue to improve.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

I started getting headaches, as well as being very tired in the afternoon after about 3 weeks of eating gluten-free. I think that lasted about 2 weeks. However, you should probably double-check what you're eating, and possibly food prep areas, etc. to rule out being glutened. If you have improvement in a few issues, it sounds like that's your answer -- along with the biopsy results. Do you have your blood test results? If not, you should get those and post them here also. It's possible you only had partial tests. From what I've seen on here, it's not uncommon for only 1 or 2 of the full panel of tests to be positive; and sometimes not even that. It's not an exact science... so don't panic.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

I should add that I'm questioning all this because my GI Dr has suggested that (as I am gay) that I may have hiv as that can cause celiac like things. Now unless hiv has become air born in the last few years it's not possible but she has made me panic now. What if!

Don't let the doctor panic you. Sometimes doctors just like to scare the heck out of us. If she thinks that she should order a test for HIV to rule it out in her mind.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#8 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

Yes I'm gluten free and felt great for the first 2 weeks. Symptoms started to go. My post nasal drip has stopped and that I've had from childhood. Even had two operations to fix it but neither worked. Even my throat just feels more open if that makes sense. But this week I am feeling very tired, lethargic, slight anxiety and some muscle weakness. Is that just gluten withdrawal?

Thanks

I've been gluten-free for just a few weeks and had terrible withdrawl with a headache that lasted well over a week (now it's just sporadic), a bunch of fatigue, and I was so so grumpy that even I couldn't stand myself. The withdrawl is starting to get better for me now, so hang in there! ;)
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 troykm

troykm

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

Thank you all your all helping :-)

#10 Cara in Boston

Cara in Boston

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

Your biopsy sounds like a description of celiac disease.

Were your blood tests taken after you went gluten free? Even a few days can alter the results.

My son had negative blood test on the most common tests (TTG Ig A and DGP IgA) but he had a positive endoscopy and clearly has celiac disease.

Sometimes the blood tests can be negative and you can still have celiac disease.

Feeling slightly worse after going gluten free can just be a sign of withdrawal. Keep going, you will feel better soon.

Cara

#11 troykm

troykm

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

Well I had an hiv test and it's negative. So it really is celiac :-)

And I'm going to have words with DR GI for terrifying me so casually. Lol

So I'm a member :-) odd that I should be so happy but I am.

#12 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

What a relief! Welcome to the community :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#13 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

Welcome to the board! And this is a great place for you to get started:

http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#14 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

Is that not terribly insulting? Is it also not illegal to insinuate that you could have HIV just because you are gay??? I am fairly sure that even if it isn't illegal it is not the done thing!

That result would have me thinking celiac straight away!

HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#15 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Troy... That really IS great news! Now, you can recover... Congratulations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: