This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Gluten Toaster Oven Of Doom

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

So, we have a toaster oven, that works fine. We do not have any funds to replace it right now, no matter how cheap of one we could get. BUT the oven is full of crumbs, and all kinds of gluten, soy and other wonderful ingredients that we need to avoid for my son. Cleaning it completely does not seem possible. It is probably 10+ years old now.

So, if I use tin foil on the baking tray that we stick in there, can we still use the oven? What if we make sure the food is also covered? Is there any way this stuff could be transferred though smoke or other air born means? I am thinking that we might just have to avoid any foods that need it, or use the full sized oven in its place but it sure would be nice to use the smaller cheaper to run unit.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

I would scrub the crap out of it, look into getting a new tray, and use the foil until you get a new tray. There really shouldn't be any transfer of proteins in the smoke if you've cleaned the whole thing well.

kareng Grand Master

I agree with Jess. Unless there is a breeze, gluten can't jump up and chase you or your food. Thank goodness!

GFinDC Veteran

Hi,

I think you would be ok with the tin foil on the tray. Scrub the oven inside good first (after unplugging). You might want to take it ouside and open the bottom if it has a removeable one. Lots of crumbs could hide in there. Or turn it upside down and shake it good. Outside of course.

The smoke part doesn't sound like good eating anyway. :)

FruitEnthusiast Enthusiast

The toaster oven is 10 years old, huh? If it were me, I wouldn't use it. Gluten = glue is what I've heard. I've read that some sensitive people get a reaction from sitting in a bakery without eating a thing. Maybe a gluten free toaster oven just for your son's food? I don't think an inexpensive one costs that much, or what about a "new unused still in the box" model on amazon or ebay?

VydorScope Proficient

Scrub the oven inside good first (after unplugging).

But the fireworks are half the fun!

:lol:

Darn210 Enthusiast

I was actually thinking vacuum cleaner ;)

If you're vacumming crumbs and you've already hosed it out, you might want to use a shop vac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Great idea on vacuuming it!

And I agree with scrubbing the crap out of it.

I was in the same position not being able to afford a new toaster oven when we first went gluten free.

I kept the toaster oven. Used foil. But I was so paranoid of gluten at that point...I just left the bottom alone and didn't touch it. You should have seen me putting food in and taking food out....it was hilarious...like I was doing surgery or something. But I figured well, gluten can't jump! Mistake was.....my son, a teen, also had to be gluten free and we got a bit too casual. One day I put the toast in carefully and he took it out of the oven and brought me my share. I got very sick from gluten, but couldn't figure it out. I finally asked enough questions that I learned my son was taking the toast out of the toaster oven, and a piece fell on the open pull down door of the toaster oven and he picked it up and put it on the plate. My plate. Arrgh. I hadn't shared the hazmat procedure for the oven clearly enough. I also almost could not believe that this would gluten me....but it did. I was so sick from that incident that suddenly I had enough money to buy a new toaster oven!

True Story! And the hazmat procedure was used when I deposited the gluten toaster oven in the dumpster.

So if you are careful it can be done...I should have scrubbed the crap out of it and vacuumed it. Just wanted you to be aware of what can go wrong if you don't. :) Good luck.

VydorScope Proficient

If you're vacumming crumbs and you've already hosed it out, you might want to use a shop vac.

Good idea, not thought of that one ... but, grrr, ... then the shop vac would have gluten in it, and he would tell us he can't vacuum any more! :lol:

FruitEnthusiast Enthusiast

Look, for when you can afford it eventually, a new toaster oven for $20, no shop vac needed :) ...something to maybe look forward to if you decide to go that route at some point.

Open Original Shared Link

Roda Rising Star

I use my air compressor to blow out crumbs from my husbands toaster(the gluten toaster) and the gluten free toaster as well. After awhile the crumbs still build up even if you open the bottom and dump it.

Archived