This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Corn Avoidance

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell Enthusiast

Hhhh. Well here goes: I'm wondering how on earth to avoid corn entirely. How do I avoid it in plastics? What about aluminum cans lined with plastic made of possibly corn. Or medicines. Do I have to call the number on all my products just to see if they use some form of corn plant in them? It just seems quite a huge undertaking considering that corn and its derivatives are not required to be listed b/c it is not one of the top eight allergens.

Some of you have to stay away from corn. What do you guys do? Thx guys for your help once again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

First question, why are you avoiding corn?

First question, why are you avoiding corn?

I recently discovered an allergy to it. It makes me bloat and have abdominal pain close to my ribs. It also makes my lips swell and burn, my tongue, my throat and I almost lose control over my voice if it is a lot. I wouldn't have figured it out if it weren't for the problem with certain plastics that some people on here figured out for me. :)

Jestgar Rising Star

Second question was, do you need to be that careful? But it sounds like you do.

All plastics? Or just some?

Corn starch too? Or just the protein?

Second question was, do you need to be that careful? But it sounds like you do.

All plastics? Or just some?

Corn starch too? Or just the protein?

Oh yes. I guess its anything corn given I react to those bottles. I thought I could get away with a little lip burning today when i ate a progress soup with corn syrup solids in it. Hehe No. That didn't turn out too good. When i heard my abdomen start make squishing sounds, I knew what was coming.

I had been thickening my soups with cornstarch and I couldnt figure out why it seemed like my lips would burn every time so pretty sure I can't have that either. At the time I was also glutening for the test and since I had corn allergy shown negative it didn't occur to me. Big mistake. What is it about celiacs that our bodies like to defy science? Lol

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

What is it about celiacs that our bodies like to defy science? Lol

Hehehe nothing like keeping the science community on their toes, right?? ?

Hehehe nothing like keeping the science community on their toes, right?? ?

Yup! Tee hee science I'm sure has plenty of toe cramps from us :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

Hahaha **LIKE** we really need a like button!!

GlutenFreeAustinite Contributor

I don't know anyone with a corn intolerance, but I know lots of people use glass or aluminum containers, both of which would be perfectly safe....though I'm not sure how much corn there really is in plastic. :P

kareng Grand Master

Most plastic isn't made from corn. Its made with good old fashioned ingredients like dead dinosaurs. :blink:

Most plastic isn't made from corn. Its made with good old fashioned ingredients like dead dinosaurs. :blink:

Oh yes my body tolerates dead dinosuars pretty well :o

:lol: Whodathunkit?

bartfull Rising Star

Razzle, the plastics we need to avoid are the hard plastics. Those clear bottles individual water comes in, and yes, the linings in cans. Anyplace that used to have BPA is now, or soon will be made with corn.

I don't eat anything that comes out of a can. And the water I drink comes from the cloudy plastic like the kind gallons of milk come in. I fill my own jugs at the machine at the grocery store. It is reverse osmosis water. So far so good.

Medications? I have to have them made at a compounding pharmacy.

It seems like almost all processed foods contain corn starch, corn syrup, or some other form of corn. The only processed foods I can eat are white cheese (but check the label), and either Hagen Daz or Blue Bunny All Natural ice creams. Both are made with sugar instead of corn syrup, but depending on the flavor you need to check the label on those too. All I can seem to tolerate is the vanilla.

Vanilla usually DOES have corn alcohol in it, but you know how they say the distilling process removes the protein? So far, I've been OK with the vanilla.

Any waxed fruit, you have to either peel or avoid because even if the wax doesn't contain gluten, it MIGHT contain corn.

Bagged salads and those delicious baby carrots? Usually washed in a citrus wash, and that citrus is most often derived from corn. As a matter of fact, most things that have citric acid as an ingredient - that citric acid comes from corn rather than any citrus fruit. Corn is cheaper. That means you have to check on the salads at restaurants too because they often use a citrus wash too.

Anything that is vitamin fortified, corn is usually the carrier. That means you need to find organic milk that is not vitamin fortified.

Vitamins and supplements? I haven't found any yet that don't contain corn or gluten or SOMETHING I can't have. So I eat a lot of sweet potatoes, avocados, and meat. They are all packed with vitamins and for now that's the best I can do.

Hard? You bet it is! I would give a lot to have ONLY celiac. But we play the cards we are dealt and do the best we can. It really helps if you can work your mind around to thinking of food as only a necessity (like any other bodily function), and concentrating on the other parts of life.

And the ice cream helps a lot. Sounds funny but knowing I can still have ONE treat at the end of the day makes wading through the rest a lot easier.

Razzle, the plastics we need to avoid are the hard plastics. Those clear bottles individual water comes in, and yes, the linings in cans. Anyplace that used to have BPA is now, or soon will be made with corn.

I don't eat anything that comes out of a can. And the water I drink comes from the cloudy plastic like the kind gallons of milk come in. I fill my own jugs at the machine at the grocery store. It is reverse osmosis water. So far so good.

Medications? I have to have them made at a compounding pharmacy.

It seems like almost all processed foods contain corn starch, corn syrup, or some other form of corn. The only processed foods I can eat are white cheese (but check the label), and either Hagen Daz or Blue Bunny All Natural ice creams. Both are made with sugar instead of corn syrup, but depending on the flavor you need to check the label on those too. All I can seem to tolerate is the vanilla.

Vanilla usually DOES have corn alcohol in it, but you know how they say the distilling process removes the protein? So far, I've been OK with the vanilla.

Any waxed fruit, you have to either peel or avoid because even if the wax doesn't contain gluten, it MIGHT contain corn.

Bagged salads and those delicious baby carrots? Usually washed in a citrus wash, and that citrus is most often derived from corn. As a matter of fact, most things that have citric acid as an ingredient - that citric acid comes from corn rather than any citrus fruit. Corn is cheaper. That means you have to check on the salads at restaurants too because they often use a citrus wash too.

Anything that is vitamin fortified, corn is usually the carrier. That means you need to find organic milk that is not vitamin fortified.

Vitamins and supplements? I haven't found any yet that don't contain corn or gluten or SOMETHING I can't have. So I eat a lot of sweet potatoes, avocados, and meat. They are all packed with vitamins and for now that's the best I can do.

Hard? You bet it is! I would give a lot to have ONLY celiac. But we play the cards we are dealt and do the best we can. It really helps if you can work your mind around to thinking of food as only a necessity (like any other bodily function), and concentrating on the other parts of life.

And the ice cream helps a lot. Sounds funny but knowing I can still have ONE treat at the end of the day makes wading through the rest a lot easier.

Thank You barty! This will be quite an astronomical effort that I hope will one day be unnecessary. The most difficult thing I think for me will be the veggies washed in citric wash. So is like a just plain head of lettuce and whole carrots safe? I buy a lot of fresh produce at the market.

Also I now understand why every time I take my vitamins I don't feel very well. Hhhh wow! God must really believe in me to give me all these challenges that seem so difficult..still and yet, I feel a sense of accomplishment in staring these things down and not giving up. It ain't no mountain for a climber (as my family says)!

bartfull Rising Star

Yes, as far as I know if you buy heads of lettuce and whole carrots, they should be OK. My problem is that I am only one person, and I'm living in a place where it's hard to find produce that is truly fresh. I think I've mentioned before that my town is the last in line for deliveries so we get the dregs. Even the broccoli is limp when you buy it and I can't eat a whole bunch of broccoli withing two days by myself. By day three it is time to throw it away. Same thing happens with carrots. Lettuce is something I haven't tried adding back yet. It used to give me D so I gave up on it.

And it REALLY ticks me off that I can't always get good bananas. I usually only buy four days worth at a time, in varying degrees of ripeness. Last week I bought some and when I went to eat the yellow ones that had NO brown spots, the darned things were completely rotted to the point of being LIQUID on the inside. Had to throw them away. I've even had green bananas that were rotted liquid inside. :angry:

Yes, as far as I know if you buy heads of lettuce and whole carrots, they should be OK. My problem is that I am only one person, and I'm living in a place where it's hard to find produce that is truly fresh. I think I've mentioned before that my town is the last in line for deliveries so we get the dregs. Even the broccoli is limp when you buy it and I can't eat a whole bunch of broccoli withing two days by myself. By day three it is time to throw it away. Same thing happens with carrots. Lettuce is something I haven't tried adding back yet. It used to give me D so I gave up on it.

And it REALLY ticks me off that I can't always get good bananas. I usually only buy four days worth at a time, in varying degrees of ripeness. Last week I bought some and when I went to eat the yellow ones that had NO brown spots, the darned things were completely rotted to the point of being LIQUID on the inside. Had to throw them away. I've even had green bananas that were rotted liquid inside. :angry:

Thanks for all the info but...

Ewwww! That is a definite drag for you. I can't imagine. Gosh where do you live? I think I would move if I could lol I am not too terribly materialistic so even if I had a house I think I would find a new place to live if I were dealing with that issue. You're brave. You are very brave. You, my friend, CAN handle the truth. :P

bartfull Rising Star

Except for the food and the wildfires and the rattlesnakes and the mountain lions, this is paradise! :lol:

I escaped the madness on the East Coast to come here where it is quiet and peaceful, and the people are polite and caring, and the scenery is breathtaking. I've been here for eight years now and in spite of my health problems, these have been the best eight years of my life.

Seriously.

Except for the food and the wildfires and the rattlesnakes and the mountain lions, this is paradise! :lol:

I escaped the madness on the East Coast to come here where it is quiet and peaceful, and the people are polite and caring, and the scenery is breathtaking. I've been here for eight years now and in spite of my health problems, these have been the best eight years of my life.

Seriously.

Whatever makes you happy. That sounds like perfect territory for the turtleman but idk about me.

ciamarie Rookie

Here's a couple of links that might be helpful, ref. avoiding corn:

Open Original Shared Link

Also, I avoid some corn derivatives like corn starch and corn syrup, but it turns out they're probably a problem for me due to being processed with sulfites. I do o.k. with whole corn -- usually organic only. I don't eat a ton of it, but so far so good.

bartfull Rising Star

I bet I'm a lot older than you, Razzle. When I was younger I liked living around lots of people. I lived in San Diego when I was in my early 20's and loved all of the excitement and the many things to do there. When I moved back to New England I found it boring. But as time went on, I got tired of it taking 20 minutes or more to drive the four miles to work. I got tired of being cut off in traffic.

And the rude people!! I'll never forget when I went back after flying out here to buy my house. I went to the laundrymat and there was a teenager with a big boom box standing right in front of the door. Here I am with a huge basket of laundry, and not only would the kid NOT open the door for me, but he wouldn't even move out of the way. I couldn't get packed and make the move fast enough!

And shortly after I moved I read in the old hometown newspaper online about a mugging right down the street from where I used to live, and a shooting at the mini-mall that same laundrymat was at.

Here, people can let their little kids go "downtown" alone at night. The worst crime we ever have is either a domestic disturbance, or some kids "tagging" (spraypainting grafitti) on the bridge. And they're not gang symbols either - it's usually "Tom loves Tina" or something to that effect.

No one locks their doors here. In the winter, all of the cars in the parking lot at the grocery store are left running and no one has had their car stolen yet.

It's kind of like going back to the 50's or 60's. When I was younger I would have hated it, but the older I get them ore I just want peace and quiet. I'll never leave here. I have found my true home. :)

I bet I'm a lot older than you, Razzle. When I was younger I liked living around lots of people. I lived in San Diego when I was in my early 20's and loved all of the excitement and the many things to do there. When I moved back to New England I found it boring. But as time went on, I got tired of it taking 20 minutes or more to drive the four miles to work. I got tired of being cut off in traffic.

And the rude people!! I'll never forget when I went back after flying out here to buy my house. I went to the laundrymat and there was a teenager with a big boom box standing right in front of the door. Here I am with a huge basket of laundry, and not only would the kid NOT open the door for me, but he wouldn't even move out of the way. I couldn't get packed and make the move fast enough!

And shortly after I moved I read in the old hometown newspaper online about a mugging right down the street from where I used to live, and a shooting at the mini-mall that same laundrymat was at.

Here, people can let their little kids go "downtown" alone at night. The worst crime we ever have is either a domestic disturbance, or some kids "tagging" (spraypainting grafitti) on the bridge. And they're not gang symbols either - it's usually "Tom loves Tina" or something to that effect.

No one locks their doors here. In the winter, all of the cars in the parking lot at the grocery store are left running and no one has had their car stolen yet.

It's kind of like going back to the 50's or 60's. When I was younger I would have hated it, but the older I get them ore I just want peace and quiet. I'll never leave here. I have found my true home. :)

I live in a small town between Chattanooga and Cleveland. It is small enough to have big yard and privacy but just not too country where we don't have helpful neighbors when we need them. So its kinda the best of both worlds. I don't like city life either. Just visiting DC was enough for me to discover that rudeness youre talking about. The lack of morals seems to really grab hold of large cities.

When i was talking about the turtleman I was talking about him loving to wrestle with those critters everyone else is scared of. We don't really have cougars or anything like that out here. Once in a while we may see a coyote but they mostly mind their own. I guess our cats took care of all the field mice and snakes cause we don't have that problem either. I love nature so it sounds gorgeous where you are but being far from help would be my biggest concern if something happened. Well that and mountain lions :P

Here's a couple of links that might be helpful, ref. avoiding corn:

Also, I avoid some corn derivatives like corn starch and corn syrup, but it turns out they're probably a problem for me due to being processed with sulfites. I do o.k. with whole corn -- usually organic only. I don't eat a ton of it, but so far so good.

Wow now I definitely feel overwhelmed but I needed to know. Thank you so much for sharing those links!

Archived