31 replies to this topic

#16 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

In four years I have never thought of this. I'll run this by him and see if he'll eat if if the vegetables aren't all like CHEW US! Last night I had vodka sauce, I don't think he'd eat that if he had a gun to his head. <_< It was delicious!

Lots of good recipes, I'll probably try them one at a time and see how it all works out. He doesn't have anything medically wrong with his tastebuds, but there is definitely something wrong. I handed him a cherry tomato from my garden, little golden/orangish thing that was perfectly ripe and told him it was sweet as candy and to eat it. He spit it out and told me I lied. But they ARE sweet as candy, I haven't brought a single one in the house yet, I eat them all as I water my plants they're so good.

I could pretty much give garlic a light fry in some oil and eat it on pasta, he thinks I'm weird. I eat the garlic out of our dill pickles. There is literally no such thing as too much garlic. Well, except for the people I have to be around after I eat it. :P I'll probably go through the suggestions again and pick the one with the most garlic. :D

LOL! We love garlic at our house, go through 3 or 4 heads a week. Waiting for my homegrown to be ready to pick! I love to get the garlic-stuffed green olives and munch the garlic cloves with them!

But, the suggestion to puree the Clasico sounds pretty good!
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:30 AM

:ph34r: :blink:

Sacrilege !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:57 AM

When I see a thread title like this....and then see Adalaide is the author, well I knew it was gonna be good. :lol:

Honey, if'n you were in my kitchen and I saw you even waving a ketchup bottle near my pasta sauce, I'd smack your hand and give you a stern talking to--and sent to your room without dinner.

Better not let Love2Travel see this "recipe".... :unsure: .....OMG, she'll faint dead to the floor. :blink:

( In re: your hub's taste buds and thinking foods taste bad?
I have a thought... when I was very ill before DX, I had this problem. And I am a super-taster, so it was perplexing and frustrating when I could not eat because things tasted awful.....I would spit out perfectly good food and tell my hubs it was "spoiled". I could not eat for a long time because of the metallic taste and severe burning in my mouth. Maybe your hubs has a vitamin deficiency? just a thought)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:59 AM

Puree some of your Classico?

Classic response. The simple one. ;) yaay, Sora!

Hopefully, hubs will not "see the veggies".

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#20 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

When I see a thread title like this....and then see Adalaide is the author, well I knew it was gonna be good. :lol:

Honey, if'n you were in my kitchen and I saw you even waving a ketchup bottle near my pasta sauce, I'd smack your hand and give you a stern talking to--and sent to your room without dinner.

Better not let Love2Travel see this "recipe".... :unsure: .....OMG, she'll faint dead to the floor. :blink:

My husband just picked me up off the floor after fainting. ;) I didn't respond until now as I did not know what to say about the ketchup! :o I'll say this - if it happened in my house during the winter you'd be shoveling the driveway. :lol: My spaghetti sauce is as authentic and delicious as they come. It will bring tears of joy to your eyes. And it makes a large batch so you can freeze for later. If interested just say so and I'll post. :P
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

Me too! I will post mine....but I suspect Love2Travel's sauce (or gravy, as the Italian Bostonians say) is similar to mine?

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#22 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

Me too! I will post mine....but I suspect Love2Travel's sauce (or gravy, as the Italian Bostonians say) is similar to mine?

I'm sure it is. Does it have milk in it to plump up the ground beef and make it soooooooooooooooo succulent? Must make some soon! This is making me hungry (as per usual). :D
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#23 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

I'm sure it is. Does it have milk in it to plump up the ground beef and make it soooooooooooooooo succulent? Must make some soon! This is making me hungry (as per usual). :D

:)
No milk....my meatballs have A SPLASH OF 1/2 AND 1/2 THOUGH

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#24 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,027 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

Ketchup? KETCHUP?... Posted Image
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#25 kareng

kareng

Dispeller of Shady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,990 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

At the risk of Love fainting again...
I had some God Awful pasta sauce made mainly with V8 juice. 30 years later, I still shudder at the thought! (insert green barfy guy here).

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#26 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

At the risk of Love fainting again...
I had some God Awful pasta sauce made mainly with V8 juice. 30 years later, I still shudder at the thought! (insert green barfy guy here).

Deep breath - I'm ok. Isn't it incredible what food associations and memories we have from long ago? Both good and bad.

#27 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

Oh yes!! The stuff I was told was spaghetti as a child, that muck that comes out of the can - used to get served on toast for breakfast in the morning :blink: The joy upon arrival in London where there was a trattoria just around the corner from where I was living and the pure joy of discovering pasta and tomato sauces :D :rolleyes: :o not like your momma used to serve :ph34r:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#28 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

First, I agree with earlier sentiments about using a couple of teaspoons of the herbs, not tablespoons!

This reminded me of a memory from long ago, when my father would travel he hired a baby-sitter of sorts for me and my brother. Long story short, we wondered why her spaghetti sauce tasted funny. One day while she was making some, I tasted it and it tasted fine. Then she said something about having to add cinnamon (which she did), and then it tasted funny. That was her 'secret' ingredient, which imho does NOT belong in spaghetti sauce.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#29 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

At the risk of offending everyone else who has already posted recipes, I would love to have yours l2t. I mean, who here doesn't want your recipes for everything? Yeah yeah, I said I wanted easy but we all know that yours will be amazingly delicious and worth whatever effort it takes.

If I want pasta and there isn't a jar of sauce to be found in the house I'll find my garlic, flatten 8 or 10 cloves of garlic, give them a few seconds to start smelling good in a pan and throw in a can of fire roasted tomatoes and some basil. The fact that it's pretty much whole cloves of garlic and tomatoes keeps my husband far far far away. :lol: He's also like, garlic much? I'm like, well it was the rest of the bulb... I would have added more. He thinks I'm crazy.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#30 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

This is the real thing - bolognese sauce. My recipe is about two pages long to type so I looked for one that is quite similar. It is Mario Batali's version (with milk, IH!) and pancetta. It is also easier than my version. I make a big batch and freeze but you can easily half this. Some bolognese recipes use red wine, some white. I like white in this case but of course that is up to you. I also grate in some nutmeg (not already grated) for that elusive delicious flavour. Only a touch, though.
http://www.yummly.co...rk_2?servings=8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: