10 replies to this topic

#1 Peppa_minto

Peppa_minto

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

I have only even gluten free for a week but I have noticed my appetite has really reduced, is this normal?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

I have only even gluten free for a week but I have noticed my appetite has really reduced, is this normal?

It might be for you. I don't think there is consistent evidence either way.

Make sure you are eating well, with balanced foods. And a good supplement and probiotics will help you.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

That happened to me too after about a week! I'm usually hungry all the time and my tummy rumbles; now I can go 3-4 before I get hungry (I'm almost a month gluten-free). :D

...I hope we're normal. LOL
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 AmyB22

AmyB22

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

Yes, since my dx in November 2011 i still struggle with this. My dr called it a form of medical anorexia. I know, sounds strange, but in my case i was so malnurished and had no idea, that i had lost interest in good and it just got increasingly worse. Im still working this issue. Know that you're not alone :)
Diagnosed celiac disease November 2011

#5 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

Same here. I kinda just lost the urge to eat and struggle to get 1 meal in me. I try to have a protein packed smoothie regularly.

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 AmyB22

AmyB22

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

Same here. I kinda just lost the urge to eat and struggle to get 1 meal in me. I try to have a protein packed smoothie regularly.

I have tried everything. Ensure 3x day. Ufortunately, ppl think its great to be this thin, me im looking for curves. Go figure!
Diagnosed celiac disease November 2011

#7 heathenly

heathenly

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

How weird-- I just posted this same topic in the "coping" forum. I'm one week gluten-free too, and have no appetite. In my case, I figured out the gluten issue because I was uncharacteristically eating ravenously, so I have a little gluten weight to lose. But I'm not used to having no appetite.

#8 RuskitD

RuskitD

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

I don't think we are normal. LOL I had the same issue. Honestly, I think sometimes I ate just trying to make the upset stomach calm down. Or maybe it was the addiction factor of our intolerance.... tho it was killing us, we craved more.

Either way, I went through the same thing. Found I wasn't eating enough and carefully tweaked my diet until I was getting enough calories for me. Hopefully, they are all being absorbed also! It was hard, because I can't eat a huge amount at a sitting, or I feel ill. I don't want to feel ill ANYMORE!

Its been 6 months, and i finally began to feel hunger again. Time is our friend!

#9 AnnieInItaly

AnnieInItaly

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:42 AM

I'm glad to know it's not just me feeling this way! I'm about 10 days into eating gluten-free and I can't hardly make myself eat anything. I don't know if I'm not hungry enough (I used to eat A LOT even though I don't weigh much), or if this is what a normal appetite feels like. I've also struggled with reactive hypoglycemia for the past 10 years or so, and my body usually freaks out if I go more than a few hours without eating, but I haven't had any issues with it this past week.

#10 Les68cn

Les68cn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

I am also feeling a lot less hunger. I am on day 12 of gluten/wheat free and my appetite has diminished greatly. I realize all the breads and such that I was eating was causing me harm as it just kept making me want to eat more. I like the feeling of not being hungry all the time. I am feeling much better, not so puffy anymore. :)

#11 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

I have tried everything. Ensure 3x day. Ufortunately, ppl think its great to be this thin, me im looking for curves. Go figure!

I think you might do better with real food than Ensure. I've been down this road myself, I am 5'8" and was down to 105lbs. Ensure isn't actually food, and your body needs real food right now.

Try getting a small personal blender and some good, high-quality protein powder, either rice, egg, or hemp. If you're dairy tolerant, make smoothies with organic whole plain yogurt, protein powder, and fruit. You'll get as many calories and as much protein as Ensure, but much more nutritional value.

Avocados, olive oil, organic butter, organic meats, these are the things that will help your digestive system heal. Also consider a probiotic and digestive enzymes, both help you digest your food, making it easier on your stomach and hopefully helping to increase your appetite.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: