This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do You Do With Udi's Bread?

heathenly

heathenly Apprentice

It's not quite "normal" bread, and I'm not yet used to using it as such... what have you tried to use it for? Is it good as toast, "pizza" base, french toast?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

freeatlast Collaborator

It's not quite "normal" bread, and I'm not yet used to using it as such... what have you tried to use it for? Is it good as toast, "pizza" base, french toast?

You'll get varying answers on this. I only buy Rudi's. I use it as toast with cream cheese and jam for breakfast or toast it for sandwiches for other meals.

Lisa Mentor

I have never been fond of any bread product, gluten free or other. For those who loved bread in their other life, I don't think there is a great gluten free substitute that is satisfactory. But many here have learned to be bakers. There are some really good recipes here, so I have heard. I don't do bread. :rolleyes:

I do buy Udi's, but it sits in my freezer and after I ignore it, I make great croutons. Love my croutons!

If you are not a baker, I would recommend www.glutenfreegalley. She does breads, sweets and pizza dough, etc. I have bought from her. Or the Gluten Free Mall, here has options.

Oh, and toasting makes the bread better. ;)

rosetapper23 Explorer

It's best when a few slices are taken out of the freezer, wrapped in a paper towel, and microwaved for a few seconds (turn them and rewrap halfway through)--this is for regular sandwiches. However, it's also fine when used for grilled cheese sandwiches or tuna melts. Personally, if I need to make a sandwich while at work, I place a couple of frozen slices in a plastic sandwich bag and leave them on the front seat of the car. By lunchtime, they're steamed to perfection for a nice fluffy P & J sandwich.

heathenly Apprentice

So far I haven't see Rudi's in my neck of the woods-- just Udi's. They have it at Trader Joe's for $5 a loaf (no thanks) or 2/$7 at Costco, so I bought some at Costco today. I'm not a huge bread eater, but absence makes the heart grow fonder... now I want cream cheese and jam toast!

heathenly Apprentice

It's best when a few slices are taken out of the freezer, wrapped in a paper towel, and microwaved for a few seconds (turn them and rewrap halfway through)--this is for regular sandwiches. However, it's also fine when used for grilled cheese sandwiches or tuna melts. Personally, if I need to make a sandwich while at work, I place a couple of frozen slices in a plastic sandwich bag and leave them on the front seat of the car. By lunchtime, they're steamed to perfection for a nice fluffy P & J sandwich.

Great idea. The first loaf I bought, I think I used all of three slices before it went moldy. Keeping it frozen solves that issue...

heathenly Apprentice

The nurse who assisted with my endoscopy gave me a flier for a local gluten-free bakery. It's not exactly close by, but I like knowing it's available if I really get a craving for something sugary and carb-y... and I do want to try one of their artisan breads, for garlic toast.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

We do not have Rudi's but I have purchased Udi's. At the time it was almost sort of ok but now I either make my own that I can slice thickly if I want croutons, French toast or Welsh Rarebit if I want. For convenience I buy the new Kinnickinnik soft bread that does not need to be toasted. I find it to be the best commercial bread I have tried. Glutino Genius is pretty good as well.

Nothing comes even remotely close to the real thing. Breadmaking to me now is not nearly as fun (except for Simona's Challah and a few breads I can actually KNEAD).

BTW, bagels make excellent croutons - nice and large and thick as they should be, not these scraggly minute boxed ones.

It has been 16 months for me and I still miss my gluten bread. But I manage to live without and definitely no longer dwell on that type of thing.

To answer your question, I used to toast Udi's when I was eating it and used it to make crumbs for use in meatballs, meatloaf, etc.

Lisa Mentor

I understand...my freezer is filled with bread crumbs and croutons. And I'm good with that. :D

beachbirdie Contributor

I don't use a lot of it, I have a loaf in my freezer that's been there for 4 months and I've only used a few slices.

When I do use it it is toast, an open-faced sandwich that is eaten with a fork, breadcrumbs, turkey stuffing.

I love bread and was quite a baker before gluten free, I second the motion that there isn't a single gluten free product that fills the bill so I have been happier not trying to substitute. I mostly do without breads now.

cyberprof Enthusiast

I loved bread before and I agree that homemade gluten-free is better than store-bought gluten-free, but I try not to bake too much as I try to eat a paleo diet and because a lot of the time, it doesn't turn out. If I'm going to bake, I make brownies or flourless PB cookies.

Anyway, I like Rudi's better than Udi's. I don't like it as a sandwich to take somewhere - it has to be toasted and/or hot. It is too dry and crumbly otherwise. I make grilled cheese; toast it for tuna-salad sandwiches; and occasionally make BALTs (bacon, avacado, lettuce, tomato) with toasted bread and sometimes add chicken or turkey lunchmeat.

I've used it for french toast and I've also made it into french toast breakfast casserole for special occasions like Christmas.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Toasted for a sandwich. I always liked my sandwich bread toasted anyway.

Marilyn R Community Regular

A frozen piece of UDI's whirled around in a mini food processor makes a good substitute for panko bread crumbs for just about anything you can think of making that tastes good requiring bread crumbs.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I loved bread before and I agree that homemade gluten-free is better than store-bought gluten-free, but I try not to bake too much as I try to eat a paleo diet and because a lot of the time, it doesn't turn out. If I'm going to bake, I make brownies or flourless PB cookies.

Anyway, I like Rudi's better than Udi's. I don't like it as a sandwich to take somewhere - it has to be toasted and/or hot. It is too dry and crumbly otherwise. I make grilled cheese; toast it for tuna-salad sandwiches; and occasionally make BALTs (bacon, avacado, lettuce, tomato) with toasted bread and sometimes add chicken or turkey lunchmeat.

I've used it for french toast and I've also made it into french toast breakfast casserole for special occasions like Christmas.

^ That!

heathenly Apprentice

Hahahaha, this morning glanced at the bread, noticed it was Rudi's, not Udi's. Took a couple of slices, buttered and parmesan cheesed them, and toasted in the oven. Dipped in warm marinara. Yum.

bartfull Rising Star

What do I do with Udi's? LONG for some! Like every other gluten-free bread on the market, it contains corn, and I can't do corn.

I DID make buscuits one time with Bob's Red Mill all purpose flour. But the recipe calls for milk. I don't drink milk so I had some powdered milk in the cupboard. Like a fool I didn't check, and sure enough it was vitamin D fortified. Corn is the carrier for the vitamin D, so I got sick.

Now that I've found a non-vitamin D organic milk I may try them again sometime, but not yet. I'm letting myself completely heal before I try anything new. Maybe in October...

birdie22 Enthusiast

I usually toast it for sandwiches. Today it was ole. Faced with salmon salad and avocado. I have just let it thaw to use for pbj (I dont like pbj toasted) and I think it's ok that way.

Archived