This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tongue Hurts! Possible Allergy?

mamacat

mamacat Rookie

I have been gluten-free for around two weeks now and I've noticed my tongue has become very painful- it almost feels like there are open cuts all over it, thought I don't see any on my tongue. I'm starting a food journal to try and track possible causes, but I was wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar reaction like this, and if it was caused by another pop-up allergy or to the gluten-free diet itself. I know people find out after starting gluten-free that they have other reactions to casein, etc. I haven't eliminated dairy or oats (only eat gluten-free oats) and have tried a bunch of new certified gluten-free product which I know may have new ingredients than what I'm used to.

If anyone out there has had this kind of painful tongue sensitivity I'd love to hear if it's commonly caused by certain ingredients or if it's different for everyone. If I can narrow mine down with the food journal I will certainly post an update. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

This symptom is common in cases of Vitamin B-12 deficiency, which is a deficiency common in people with celiac. You might request a lab test from your doctor; or, alternatively, you can begin taking sublingual methyl B-12 tablets (2,000 mg twice a day) to see if the tongue issue resolves. It should go away rather quickly since the B-12 taken sublingually is instantly absorbed into your bloodstream.

harleygal726 Rookie

I was diagnosed last November and my tongue has been numb down the center for over 2 years and the Doctors cannot give me a reason. My vitamin B-12 is high on bloodwork. Since going gluten free it alternates between being numb and sore. It gets sore when I increase my liquid vitamins and/or sublingual B-12. Could I still be deficient?

rosetapper23 Explorer

Okay, now that I'm at home, I've had a chance to look up other possibilities for sore/geographic tongues, and it appears that a number of B vitamins could be responsible. These include folic acid, B-2 (riboflavin), and B-6 (pyridoxine). You might try taking a good Vitamin B complex in addition to sublingual Vitamin B-12.

FruitEnthusiast Enthusiast

Interesting. I've had geographic tongue for decades. It comes and goes but I don't know of anything that helps it heal faster. I read it's related to immunity issues. I've had food problems for about as long too. Low blood sugar issues, other food sensitivities, or so I thought. Sure makes me wonder when I first started having gluten problems, since I've only known about it for four months. A few years back I tested as having low B-12, but I take it daily now. I don't show any deficiencies at all when I'm tested now, but my tongue also looks ripply on the edges, which I thought was a sign of a B deficiency. I wonder if it's possible to have a deficiency that doesn't show up in labs. Maybe some people need more of a vitamin or mineral than the majority of people. I'm going to look into that.

harleygal726 Rookie

Ok thanks I will pick up some B Complex. I also wondered too if your bloodwork can be normal or high in any vitamin/mineral and still be deficient?

mommida Enthusiast

I wonder if this is when Pernicious anemia is part of the equation. The gut lining lacks the proper enzymes to absorb vitamin B12. So the condition doesn't fully resolve no matter how much B12 or Bcomplex you take(B complex vitamin can be toxic if you take too much.) I have had geographic tongue since I was in high school. (41 now)

There is not a definative cure all for fixing geographic tongue but it is strongly linked to vitamin defiency.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

Just would like to add that if you do take TOO MUCH Vitamin B complex, it could be a problem; however, taking a daily Vitamin B complex is safe--B vitamins are water soluble and are not stored by the body the way that fat-soluble vitamins are.

harleygal726 Rookie

Really? Newbie

I was diagnosed with Celiacs in June of 2012. I have had issues with my tongue since April. At first they said it was yeast and treated me for that. They treated me twice for it acutally. Some days my tongue has a greenish coating on it. Some days its a whitish coating. It always burns regardless of the color. I can't remember the last time it felt normal. It hasn't improved with the gluten free diet. I was given a B12 injection and they started me on 2000 mcg of B12 a day... no improvement. My throat is sore as well and very raw and red. I'd love to know the problem and resolve it. This one amongst the many others that I thought would go away with a diagnosis. I am more sick now than I was before.

mamacat Rookie

If pernicious anemia were a cause of B12 deficiency, wouldn't that go away once you were on the gluten-free diet long enough to let your gut heal? I certainly haven't been on the diet long enough to tell, but I'm going to get the B12 and B-complex and see if that helps. Thank you all for the info.

Hopefully this will go away with maintaining the gluten-free diet, because it's very distracting, annoying, and painful!

• 5 years later...
Laura Johnson Newbie
On 7/23/2012 at 9:14 AM, mamacat said:

I have been gluten-free for around two weeks now and I've noticed my tongue has become very painful- it almost feels like there are open cuts all over it, thought I don't see any on my tongue. I'm starting a food journal to try and track possible causes, but I was wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar reaction like this, and if it was caused by another pop-up allergy or to the gluten-free diet itself. I know people find out after starting gluten-free that they have other reactions to casein, etc. I haven't eliminated dairy or oats (only eat gluten-free oats) and have tried a bunch of new certified gluten-free product which I know may have new ingredients than what I'm used to.

If anyone out there has had this kind of painful tongue sensitivity I'd love to hear if it's commonly caused by certain ingredients or if it's different for everyone. If I can narrow mine down with the food journal I will certainly post an update. Thanks!

Yes I’m having the same issue 3 weeks into gluten-free diet!

On 7/24/2012 at 8:13 PM, Really? said:

I was diagnosed with Celiacs in June of 2012. I have had issues with my tongue since April. At first they said it was yeast and treated me for that. They treated me twice for it acutally. Some days my tongue has a greenish coating on it. Some days its a whitish coating. It always burns regardless of the color. I can't remember the last time it felt normal. It hasn't improved with the gluten free diet. I was given a B12 injection and they started me on 2000 mcg of B12 a day... no improvement. My throat is sore as well and very raw and red. I'd love to know the problem and resolve it. This one amongst the many others that I thought would go away with a diagnosis. I am more sick now than I was before.

I’m having the tongue issue too and am wondering if it could be a reaction to something else ? So odd

Laura Johnson Newbie
On 7/23/2012 at 7:18 PM, rosetapper23 said:

Okay, now that I'm at home, I've had a chance to look up other possibilities for sore/geographic tongues, and it appears that a number of B vitamins could be responsible. These include folic acid, B-2 (riboflavin), and B-6 (pyridoxine). You might try taking a good Vitamin B complex in addition to sublingual Vitamin B-12.

Something to think about as well is if your supplements are gluten free. With some it’s hard to tell - some may have coatings that have gluten 

Archived