#1 GlutenFreeAustinite

GlutenFreeAustinite

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hey everyone,

I just went gluten-free again after a three month gluten challenge--dx'ed non-celiac gluten intolerant. I'm currently taking doxycycline, clindamycin topical gel, and prednisone (just finished that nasty little steroid today).

Starting yesterday, I've been extremely thirsty. I can't get enough water, and even when my stomach feels bloated and full from it, I want more. I had horrible nausea this morning, and lo-and-behold, I discovered prednisone can cause potassium deficiency (characterized by excessive thirst). I ran out and got a banana and a smoothie with orange juice and banana. I felt 100% better after both of those, and the unbearable thirst went away for a while. Now it's back. Is this something I should pursue more with my doctor (I see her tomorrow for unrelated reasons) to figure out if there's a nutritional deficit, something else, or nothing at all?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

If you are going to see her tomorrow, can't hurt to mentioin it. Might want to get tested for some basic nutrional deficiencies.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:28 AM

A potassium defiency can be extremely dangerous. potassium is one of the body's regulators. your heartbeat and fluid levels are crucial. Check with the pharmicist and see if the cocktail of antibiotics can give an estimation of the amount of potassium you are lacking. ( you might find out you need to find a banana the size of a Cadillac! :o )

please seek medical attention.
Michigan

#4 GlutenFreeAustinite

GlutenFreeAustinite

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

Yes, I saw my doctor today, and she ordered blood and urine tests. So I'm waiting on the results of those, hopefully tomorrow (sticker on the urine cup said STAT in giant letters so I'm thinking they want those done quickly). I can't seem to stay full or drink enough water; hopefully I'll get answers soon. And if it's a potassium deficiency, I definitely want to know.

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

The other thing that springs to mind is diabetes, though I'd think the juice would have made it worse. They'll catch that on the urine test. Good luck!

#6 GlutenFreeAustinite

GlutenFreeAustinite

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:39 AM

Yeah, I'm absolutely terrified that it's diabetes. Lots of people in my family have type 2, no type 1 that I know of, but I'll hopefully hear soon. I've had recurrent yeast infections (despite Diflucan/fluconazole), slow healing infections, etc. My symptoms match, I just hope it's not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: