26 replies to this topic

#1 Mateto

Mateto

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

I bought Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose flour a few weeks ago, because it was on sale. I made some chocolate-chip "clumps" with them, and me with a major sweet tooth, had to try some of the batter. I tasted a strange, very RAW taste. What is it coming from, do you know? The flour is mostly comprised of bean flours...though there IS potato starch and tapioca flour.
Gluten-free since St George's Day this year :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

I think it's the beans. Try adding more sugar next time. It might help to mask the flavor.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

I bought Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose flour a few weeks ago, because it was on sale. I made some chocolate-chip "clumps" with them, and me with a major sweet tooth, had to try some of the batter. I tasted a strange, very RAW taste. What is it coming from, do you know? The flour is mostly comprised of bean flours...though there IS potato starch and tapioca flour.

I second the vote on the beans. I don't use Bob's all-purpose for that reason. I don't like the beany taste from ANY of the bean flours.
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

Personally, I do not like bean flours either...and maybe that is what you taste?

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 veronika

veronika

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

Ah Bob's Red Mill...they love to put bean flour in everything.

I used their Chocolate Cake Mix to make a treat to share with my boyfriend for a special occasion, and I was so happy with how it turned out before I tasted it. It looked amazing, rose perfectly, looked really really chocolate-y. I took one bite and immediately spat it out. Guess I have low tolerance for bean flour, to me it tastes awful.

However, all was not lost, as my boyfriend proceeded to eat the rest of the cake over the course of the week (as he happened to love it!) :P.
chronic fatigue, overall body pain, brain fog, headaches since August 2006
chronic nausea since July, 2011

gluten, casein, soy free since April 19, 2012
potato, corn, oat intolerant

#6 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

Hi! I don't like the taste of raw flour mix neither, but the final result is perfect for me.

Check this out:

http://www.celiac.co...__1#entry734848

In this cake you can use 4 cream cheese instead of tofu, or 1 small container of ricotta cheese.
http://www.celiac.co...__1#entry718692

http://www.celiac.co...__1#entry695015

I have been using only the Bob's bread mix in my cakes. The cake will be nice and fluffy and the funny taste will disepeare. Then, when you will put something on top, you wouldn't even know that the dough is gluten free.
This is my latest creation from the Bob's bread mix:

Posted Image

#7 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

It's the bean flour . . . but I'm guessing you figured that out by now :rolleyes:

Some people like it just fine. I'm not one of them. It's worse in the raw dough than in the finished product (IMO), but there's an aftertaste thing in the finished product.

Plus, heaven help me . . . I gotsta have me some raw dough :ph34r:
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#8 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:58 AM

Always tasted like blood to me. Blechh... Glad the brownie mix doesn't have bean flour!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:49 AM

Always tasted like blood to me. Blechh... Glad the brownie mix doesn't have bean flour!

yowzers, that's VERY descriptive, Bunz....blood? :lol:

I was going for "dirty socks"...

either way...blech, it is.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#10 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:37 AM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Bean flours are NOT supposed to taste foul. If it does, then it's spoiled. Rancid.

I have yet to taste a bean flour from Bob's Red Mill that wasn't rancid. Even when shipped directly to me from the company. I can only guess it's due to their stone grinding, creating too much heat, thereby breaking down some of the components in the beans. So I don't buy Bob's at all.

I use bean flours regularly, and although they do have a distinctive taste and aroma, they don't taste foul. But I wouldn't recommend eating them raw at all.

It is also important to note the expiration date on the package. Bean flours don't last long at room temp. I believe this is one reason why a store will occasionally put them on sale. If the package has been sitting at room temp for a few months, then you can bet it's spoiled. Exposure to light doesn't help either. I prefer not to keep any out beyond about 30 days or so. The freezer is the best place to keep them otherwise. Just don't open the container when it's cold, or moisture will condense on the flour, greatly accelerating spoilage.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:04 AM

I use bean flours regularly, and although they do have a distinctive taste and aroma, they don't taste foul. But I wouldn't recommend eating them raw at all.

While I appreciate what you are saying, I have tasted other bean flours and they taste the same to me.

It is not because the BRM I tried were rancid, it is just that I do not like that particular taste.

What some call "distinctive" ....others may call "blech". :)

Everyone is different.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#12 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,810 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:33 AM

I have tried different flour mixes with bean flour. I found that they all taste funny as batter or dough but usually cook up well. Considering every baked good in our house must have PB or massive amounts of chocolate or both, they don't taste beany in the end. Maybe they would for a lighter flavored white cake. Used garbanzo bean flour in some pizza rolls that gave it a "different" taste but we still liked them. Lots of cheese and pizza sauce...

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#13 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

I always thought that taste came from the xanthum gum that would need to be added to certain mixes...maybe it is the bean taste....I never knew.... :blink:

Amazing cake though Simona :D

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:41 AM

K, I think you are right....it is the G-bean flour that I do not care for. I guess with toppings and flavors, it would be masked and less noticeable.

I made a pound cake for the family once using BRM blend. (my one and only time)

They LOVED it!!...me, not so much. I asked Hubs quietly, "does this taste all right?" he said.."it's GREAT!"

meanwhile, I'm thinking...to quote Bunz ... "blech".

I sent it home with his Aunt. :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:43 AM

Amazing cake though Simona :D

YES!!! I add my applause!! it LOOKS FANTASTIC.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: