25 replies to this topic

#1 jessthirtytwo

jessthirtytwo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

I was thinking about purchasing the Vitacost Gluten Enzyme DG Biocore DPP IV. The link to the product is here: http://www.vitacost....-biocore-dpp-iv
I am thinking taking these enzymes would help limit my reaction from hidden gluten or cross-contamination when I eat out at restaurants. Before buying them, I was wondering if anyone had any experience using them, or a similar product? Are these enzymes actually going to do anything? Is there another product you would recommend instead?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,360 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

Sorry, but as far as I know, there is no known "advance protective shield" against gluten CC for a celiac.

These are digestive enzymes, that is all. You can take digestive enzymes made by any company before a meal and get the same result.

Will they help you "digest" gluten? Sure!

Will they "stop the effects" of gluten (i.e. inflammation and the autoimmune response) should you be cross contaminated? Not really.

Will you feel "less bad"--some reviews of these kinds of products suggest they do.

You can try them, but they should never be thought of a "free pass" to eat gluten ---as some people have suggested.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 jessthirtytwo

jessthirtytwo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

Sorry, but as far as I know, there is no known "advance protective shield" against gluten CC for a celiac.

These are digestive enzymes, that is all. You can take digestive enzymes made by any company before a meal and get the same result.

Will they help you "digest" gluten? Sure!

Will they "stop the effects" of gluten (i.e. inflammation and the autoimmune response) should you be cross contaminated? Not really.

Will you feel "less bad"--some reviews of these kinds of products suggest they do.

You can try them, but they should never be thought of a "free pass" to eat gluten ---as some people have suggested.

ok, thanks for breaking it down like that. yeah, i guess digesting gluten and reacting to gluten are two totally different things haha. i do take a pretty heavy duty digestive enzyme with my meals already, so im not sure how much this one would help on top of those...

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,360 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

I have read this:

"Scientists are exploring the possibility of using enzymes as a celiac disease treatment.

In May 2011, Alvine Pharmaceuticals was awarded four patents for gluten-specific proteases (enzymes). Alvine's lead potential product, ALV003, is a mixture of two enzymes that may be able to break down gluten into fragments too small to cause a reaction.

Scientists at Stanford University conducted the initial research on these enzymes, and Alvine has an exclusive worldwide license for the patents. Other researchers, notably Dr. Frits Koning at Leiden University Medical Center in The Netherlands, also are exploring the idea of digestive enzymes in celiac disease."

but for right now, there is no magic bullet, I'm afraid.

:(

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#5 jessthirtytwo

jessthirtytwo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

I have read this:

"Scientists are exploring the possibility of using enzymes as a celiac disease treatment.

In May 2011, Alvine Pharmaceuticals was awarded four patents for gluten-specific proteases (enzymes). Alvine's lead potential product, ALV003, is a mixture of two enzymes that may be able to break down gluten into fragments too small to cause a reaction.

Scientists at Stanford University conducted the initial research on these enzymes, and Alvine has an exclusive worldwide license for the patents. Other researchers, notably Dr. Frits Koning at Leiden University Medical Center in The Netherlands, also are exploring the idea of digestive enzymes in celiac disease."

but for right now, there is no magic bullet, I'm afraid.

:(

well, at least it sounds promising!

#6 +jasonparker

+jasonparker

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

I tried this recently for the first time as I was having strange belly pains. Seemed to help and I had no adverse reactions.

#7 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,821 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

We've used digestive enzymes of all brands to help with cc -- once while traveling I lost my bottle and remembered someone mentioned that "beano" is the same as digestive enzyme -- we tend to stick with "now" or "source naturals" but have never really found a difference among the brands...usually just get more expensive if marketed for "gluten".

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#8 Mom-of-Two

Mom-of-Two

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

I have been using with great results, the Source Naturals digestive enzymes. I have a hard time remembering to take them before each meal though!

That sounds so promising, the enzymes for celiac treatment, just for the sake of CC I mean-- it would take the anxiety out of the diet for sure, just having a safety net to feel like you can eat out of the house every once in awhile. It would be amazing in the future to have that for a child who is celiac as well- I would feel so much less stress with my child getting CC at school or any other place!

You do what you can do on a daily basis, I am very diligant with my diet and outside exposure, but it is almost impossible to go through life as a celiac and NEVER have an issue with CC. It is very frustrating!

#9 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

This is weird to hear because they seem to cause me GI issues even though they are gluten-free. Interesting how we are all reacting so differently.

#10 sallyalewis

sallyalewis

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

I recently realized I was consuming gluten while on vacation. I had purchased some of this enzyme for "just in case". I don't believe I will take anymore of it, because I think I felt worse having slowed down the process. Instead of the D 20 minutes later, I had horrible muscle and joint pain that lasted a few days. This was one of the worst reactions I've had. I think I may have been better off just letting it pass on through.
Good luck!
Gluten Free since 2/12.
Self/Doctor diagnosed.
No testing done.
Allergic to everything else! - verified by allergist
Rosacea

#11 jessthirtytwo

jessthirtytwo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

Hmm, thanks everyone for your replies! I think I am probably just going to stick with my usual digestive enzymes, and not go with the "gluten specific" ones. Symptoms give me another incentive to avoid gluten at all costs anyways :P

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,360 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

This is weird to hear
because
they
seem to cause me GI issues even though
they
are gluten-free. Interesting how we are all reacting so differently.

You said "they" and "they"...what do you mean, Chad? :)

the digestive enzymes cause you digestive issues?

that is unusual as they are designed to help with digestive issues....but if they do....do not take them.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,360 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

I recently realized I was consuming gluten while on vacation. I had purchased some of this enzyme for "just in case". I don't believe I will take anymore of it, because I think I felt worse having slowed down the process. Instead of the D 20 minutes later, I had horrible muscle and joint pain that lasted a few days. This was one of the worst reactions I've had. I think I may have been better off just letting it pass on through.
Good luck!

Hon,

You just said ----You were glutened.

THAT causes the "horrible muscle and joint pain".

Not digestive enzymes.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#14 sallyalewis

sallyalewis

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

I'm sorry. My point was, that I felt like the enzyme had extended my reaction time.
Not that it had caused the reaction.
Gluten Free since 2/12.
Self/Doctor diagnosed.
No testing done.
Allergic to everything else! - verified by allergist
Rosacea

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,360 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

I'm sorry. My point was, that I felt like the enzyme had extended my reaction time.
Not that it had caused the reaction.

and mine was that digestive enzymes do not cause reactions or extend "reaction time".

Hon, your joint pain was more likely from the gluten, IMHO.... and it takes a while for it to pass. (it does not matter if you took the enzymes or not---they work on the DIGESTIVE process, NOT the after-effects) so I am guessing that is what made the joint pain.

(but I could be wrong...)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: