arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

What Do You Bring For Yourself When Everyone Else Can Eat The Bafett?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

I have to go to the kid's swim dinner party and have to bring my dinner. What should I bring for myself? It is super hot here. It will be at a senior center. They are just renting the room. Thanks, I'm stuck.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

What will everyOne else be having? Sometimes I try to stick close to that. Although, one can never go wrong with a big salad and homemade dressing, especially if it's a hot day!
~**caselynn**~

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

I always use that situation as an excuse to go to my favorite gluten free bakery and pick up a chicken salad arepa (which is a sandwich), a cupcake (sometimes 2) and usually a half dozen cakepops and some brownies or cookies. I'll bring the arepa and whatever dessert I want, usually a cupcake. Of course I'm not afraid to be different. B)

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

I always use that situation as an excuse to go to my favorite gluten free bakery and pick up a chicken salad arepa (which is a sandwich), a cupcake (sometimes 2) and usually a half dozen cakepops and some brownies or cookies. I'll bring the arepa and whatever dessert I want, usually a cupcake. Of course I'm not afraid to be different. B)

MMMM...cupcakes!! 😍
~**caselynn**~

#5 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:44 PM

This is where you can really shine by making some of my favourites which are easy to make, take and keep nicely at room temp:

Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
Barbecued Ribs
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Marinated Feta Cheese with homemade gluten-free black peppercorn crackers
Sweet potato fries and an interesting dip such as blueberry "ketchup"
Potato skins
Roasted carrot hummus and intriguing vegetables
Chicken and dumplings
Pizza - great hot, room temp or cold
Quiche
Chewy chocolate chip cookies
Shortbread
Fruit tarts
Brownies

And, since you mentioned it's hot, why not a feta, toasted pine nut, basil and watermelon salad?

It is simple to make something naturally gluten free and the dessert items are also very easy.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#6 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

In a situation like that, I generally bring leftovers, 'cause I don't want to cook. ;)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#7 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

I usually bring a salad full of tons of veggies and grilled chicken.

#8 Owlmuse

Owlmuse

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

I usually bring some gluten-free turkey from the deli, some cheese and cracker and some snacks like fruit, applesauce, cookies, yogurt (if I brought an ice pack). It's not that far off from what I brought for lunch back in high school but it's tasty, dependable, easy, not fussy and in a pinch you can pick it up at the grocery store on the way. I went to the movies with friends a couple weeks ago and on the way found myself starving. I stopped at the local market that has all boars head deli so I know it's gluten-free got some turkey and cheddar grabbed a box of gluten-free crackers and I was all set. I won't lie, I ate it during the previews : ) Yay! Hope this helps and good luck!

#9 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

Depending on the situation I either stick close to whatever everyone else is having or make that my excuse to stop for take-out gluten-free pizza (we have a great place where the owner if celiac! yum).

#10 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

If it's too hot to cook and you don't have refrigeration where you'll be, then the easiest thing is to bring individually wrapped things, like cups of tuna and applesauce, a bag of crackers, a little hummus, carrots, etc. Even refrigerated things like yogurt, cheese sticks, and hard boiled eggs will keep for a little while at room temp. Roll up lunchmeat and cheese slices around pickle or cucumber spears. Treat yourself to some Pirate Booty or a Snickers bar to make up for having to eat differently from the rest. They will want what you have!
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: