135 replies to this topic

#91 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

I agree with the above advice, but would recommend you trial each ingredient separately so you know if it is the corn, rice, potato, or Xanthan gum giving you problems. Clearly it is something in that mix. It might even be the egg, since it is possible to develop a reaction to foods at any time. Maybe baked goods with egg WERE ok but they are not now? Glad to hear you are doing mostly well with being gluten free. You have the longest thread I have seen that wasn't a common thread like "what are ya cooking tonight". Keep posting and let's see if we can get it to 100 just for fun! ;) Oh yeah, plus we like to know how you are doing! :)
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#92 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

I would question the cornmeal. I was doing fine with plain Fritos then all of a sudden I started to have bad reactions to corn. You never know if they're using GMO corn? You could possibly have a reaction to GMO corn that you wouldn't have to regular corn?
It's very frustrating to think you're on track..and being so careful and then whammo..out of the blue something bothers you! I'm hoping it was just a one time reaction for you.

#93 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

I would question the cornmeal.  I was doing fine with plain Fritos then all of a sudden I started to have bad reactions to corn.  You never know if they're using GMO corn?  You could possibly have a reaction to GMO corn that you wouldn't have to regular corn?

If it was organic corn meal, it wouldn't be GMO. However, looking at the list of ingredients, I'd be questioning the potato starch. Most potato (and corn) starches are sulfited, so even if you do o.k. with regular potatoes, the starch might be an issue. Sometimes these things are really tough to track down.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#94 kswan08

kswan08

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:12 AM

Results of abdominal Ct scan arrived. Inflammation of unknown origin. Ha!
Whatever it was that I ate (corn muffins or not) it's hit me hard. I am in pain and not able to tolerate any food. If my insides are so inflamed maybe no solid food is better for a while. I was doing so much better and then, wham! Ate a plain baked potato last night. Ended up with more pain, bloating and cramps. But that is happening now no matter what I eat so it could be inflammation rather than the actual food, right?
I knew I spoke to soon in my earlier post.
I am hoping that new doc will connect me with a GI though at this point I don't have much confidence in doctors.

#95 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

If it is potatoes causing the problem then you might be reacting to nightshades. NIghtshade foods are tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, and eggplant. Nightshades can have enough alkaloids in them to cause problems for some people. Tobacco is a nightshade too. Not to 100 yet.. :)
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#96 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

Results of abdominal Ct scan arrived. Inflammation of unknown origin. Ha!
Whatever it was that I ate (corn muffins or not) it's hit me hard. I am in pain and not able to tolerate any food. If my insides are so inflamed maybe no solid food is better for a while. I was doing so much better and then, wham! Ate a plain baked potato last night. Ended up with more pain, bloating and cramps. But that is happening now no matter what I eat so it could be inflammation rather than the actual food, right?
I knew I spoke to soon in my earlier post.
I am hoping that new doc will connect me with a GI though at this point I don't have much confidence in doctors.

Have you been tested for small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)? I was reacting to more and more foods and was tested. They said I probably have a severe overgrowth, because not only was my hydrogen high..I exhaled methane which is very unusual. I was told that the bad bacteria feed on what we eat and emit toxins. They can give us very strong reactions.
There are a lot of different strains of bacteria and the ones that really like whatever you've been eating seem to thrive, so that your levels of various ones can change as what you eat changes...thus giving stronger reactions to foods sometimes.
I hope you've found a probiotic that agrees with you? It helps even out dysbiosis.

Try a diet that's bland for a bit until you feel better. Cooked veggies are easier to digest than raw. Have you tried Brussel Sprouts? They seem to be easily tolerated by most people.

I hope you can find a good GI. I have a fairly new PCP who isn't very helpful. She said up front that she didn't know anything about Celiac disease when I first met her. I just saw her on Friday and she told me I should find a good GI. Umm..duh! I told her I haven't found a good way to find one locally. They don't advertise as being Celiac savvy. There were a couple of names I saw in various news articles, etc. but they aren't accepting new patients.

If there's a good way to find a good GI I haven't found it!

I'm still struggling to put weight on and get more healthy. This new PCP told me I should try to gain some weight. Umm..yeah..very helpful.

We're getting there GFinDC. ;)

#97 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

We're getting there GFinDC. ;)

Oh, look at that, we are indeed getting there! Close now, really close.

But if you want to read a long thread, search for the lyme disease thread Now that was a long thread.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#98 kswan08

kswan08

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

Well, I guess since I started the thread I should finish it as #100.
My (fired) PCP called me tonight to "further discuss" the results of my CT scan. She is "extremely concerned" about the level of inflammation and has asked me to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy "stat". Says that the inflammation is profuse throughout intestinal tract and lymph nodes are slightly enlarged. She brought up cancer and that scared me. She says that because I am still sick after I eat - even though I am on a strict diet - that it's "not likely what you are eating" ... I doubt that because of all that I have learned from this site. Maybe she should come on here and learn!
Anyway - what I want to say is THANK YOU. Without this site, without this thread I would have lost hope. It was here that I found answers to my questions, questions that I didn't know I had and a lot of compassion. I don't know what the future holds for me - maybe celiac, maybe inflammatory bowel disease, maybe food sensitivity, maybe cancer. But no matter what I got through this summer because of all the help I got here. I got educated and that's worth its weight in gold.
I also wanted to say that I think of each one of you and I often come and re-read your posts. I hear your own painful journey/s and am honored that so many of you shared with me here.
I know that this thread has taken on a life and it's rare that one goes this long. Thank you all so very much.
I'll be around - reading lots of posts, continuing this journey along with all of you.
((hugs))

#99 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

Don't let your Dr scare you! Mine kept telling me there was nothing wrong with me and ordered a CT scan just to shut me up. It showed a lot of very enlarged lymph nodes. It's what finally got me the referal to a GI and the endoscope that DXed me.

My enlarged nodes were caused by the inflamation of Celiac disease. Yes, it can be a symptom of cancer, but it's not very likely.
Because I had an intestinal cancer in the past the CT scan was repeated a while after my Celiac DX just to see how things looked. My nodes had started going down and returning to normal.
I was told the enlarged lymph nodes were caused by the eliac 100%

PS..it was very fitting that you were poster #100. :D

#100 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

Yes, it was very fitting that you were poster #100 Kswan and I want to thank you for continuing to ask questions because I have learned a lot. Thank you Bubba's mom for your information on here and especially for your last post because it gives hope on the losing hope thread. I did not know that could happen and it makes me feel good to know you have been there and survived and it really was Celiac that caused it and that has to mean a lot to Kswan too, so thank you.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#101 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

I think doctors often don't have the slightest idea what to do next, so they start throwing ideas out there, you probably have this or that. For as smart as they are "supposed" to be, they can be such boneheads. They can't fix everything, so they waste our time and money giving us busy work, when the truth is that it just takes time to recover. Gluten issues are the perfect example of that.

I agree, there is a lot more knowledge and experience on these threads than in doctors offices. Doctors have their purpose, but they are limited. Luckily we're all here to pick up where they've left off. I don't know what I would have done without this site. I would be losing my mind I guess. Many thanks to Scott, who started this site, and to all of you. You guys are the best! :)

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#102 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

Hi kswan...

This thread "stuck" with me... It was a very informative thread...

Just found myself thinking about you today... How are you doing?

#103 kswan08

kswan08

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

I am not doing well. I had endo and colonos. yesterday and it, quite literally, nearly killed me. I was severely dehydrated when I went in and had told the GI this - along with my history for the past few months. I also explained that I was feeling very weak and that the clean-out had been severe (I was still "going" 15 hours after started the prep). I also explained that I was highly sensitive to medications. Then I was given both propofol and fentynl. In recovery my blood pressure dropped very low, I couldn't focus and had to stay in recovery for 4 hours. There were all kinds of doctors and nurses there but I don't remember much other than feeling awful. I don't ever want to go through that again! Then the GI doc said he removed 3 polyps, 1 of which was large called a sessile polyp. He told me I had to have another colonoscopy in 3-6 months. OMG. Now, of course, I'm scared it's cancer, scared to go through this again and no sign of celiac (which he simply dismissed despite me telling him that I had been off gluten since end of June). He told me I should see a surgeon but I don't know why. I continued to have diarrhea last night and lots of nausea. This morning I am feeling light-headed and weak. I got some GatorAide and will be drinking this all day but think I need some food too.
Needless to say, I'm a bit discouraged, feeling emotional and generally yucky.
Anyone else have this happen?

#104 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

Oh kswan...you poor thing! That's awful!

I really HATE that cold, disaffected, dismissive attitude from docs! My first rheumatologist fired me because she said I was "too emotional". So sorry to have shared my "emotions" with her... :(

I can't believe they didn't hydrate you...ugh...

That's so scary when they are so vague... You should call up the doctor's service and make him/her call you. You shouldn't have to go through the weekend with that additional stress!

I am so sorry you're feeling this poorly! While I am not suffering the exact same things, I do know what it's like to be so sick, scared and feeling alone.

Rest, hydrate and eat if you can (broths would be best, I think... do you have someone who can make them for you? Take care of you this weekend?

Come in here if you need "us".

Take it easy, honey. :)

#105 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

Wish I had some wisdom for you kswan but I have thankfully not had that happen to me. I bet someone here has though & I bet you will hear from them sometime soon.

Great big ((((HUGS)))) sweetie.

Keep us posted dear.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: