10 replies to this topic

#1 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

My son (18 months old) has not been diagnosed with celiac disease (I have though), but he does have a wheat allergy. Plus he's allergic to eggs, pecans and now may be lactose or fructose intolerant. He also had a liver transplant when he was a month old and that has slowed his eating progress. He used to gag on more solid foods, but is doing better now. He also has to have his liquids thickened or else they go into his lungs.

I have never been good with food. I never know what to feed myself and I end up eating the same stuff over and over again. Now I'm having issues knowing what to feed him. He was liking mac n'cheese, but now he can't have milk.

So, I'd be grateful to have ideas for what to feed him. It needs to be wheat free, eggs free and lactose free.

Thanks for any help!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

Rice/ corn chex
Pancakes
Sausage
Fruit
chicken tenders
Coconut yogurt
Crackers
Tuna
Sun butter
Tortilla chips
Carrots
Potato chips
Enjoy life foods (cookies, granola, plentils, chocolate)
Cupcakes
Hemp milk
Rice cereal

That's just a rundown of what my kids eat pretty regularly. What kinds of foods do you and your son like to eat? Also, if he is t toally gluten fre and you want an official dx, please do it BEFORE going gluten-free!

#3 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

Diced bits of cooked meat, diced carrots and diced potato. You can cook these until finger smooshable soft. That way he can pick them up with fingers but still swallow easily. Actually you can cook any vegetable, fruit, or meat until it is finger smooshable soft enough for him to be able to eat and swallow. You can cook the meat and veg in chicken broth if you like. The simpler the better. Fruit can be cooked in just plain water.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#4 Maybenow

Maybenow

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

When my son was a toddler, he loved avocados. I would just peel the skin off 1/2 and he'd hold it like a popsicle. It was messy, but fun for him to eat.

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

Home made muffins are a big hit here (and we keep them in the freezer for a snack). Beans, burgers on lettuce, smoothies (though this might be tricky with fructose intolerance), apples and peanut butter (or rice cakes and peanut butter), chicken, stir fry of all kinds, lentil soup, ... She eats what we eat.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 Sesara

Sesara

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

Even if pecans are out, there are other nuts that you can do. My son (23 months) is a big fan of nut butters, so peanut butter on celery (with the strings removed) is always popular around here. As are lunchmeat and sausages of any sort. He's a huge fan of gluten-free waffles, coconut milk, baba ganoush, raw or cooked carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower, cooked green beans are a great snack...and ripe bananas are often compatible with fructose intolerance - something about the glucose fructose balance being ok. Small amounts of blueberries are also ok, just don't let them overdo. Look at paleo blogs for ideas - although they like eggs, there are plenty of eggless ideas for snacks that don't use gluten or dairy.

#7 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:11 AM

Even if pecans are out, there are other nuts that you can do.

Not the OP but *usually* an allergist will suggest staying away from all tree nuts because there is a high possibility of cross contamination unless you find nuts from a place that only processes on kind of nut.

#8 Sesara

Sesara

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

Not the OP but *usually* an allergist will suggest staying away from all tree nuts because there is a high possibility of cross contamination unless you find nuts from a place that only processes on kind of nut.

What about sunflower seeds? Sunbutter is a popular substitute for peanuts.

#9 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

My dd is allergic to tree nuts and peanuts but sunbutter is ok. I guess flower seeds are fine. Pumpkin seeds are ok too.

#10 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

Here's what came to my mind - finely cut up Applegate Farms hotdogs, homemade chicken nuggets, bean dip/hummus on gluten free crackers and coconut milk ice cream. Amy's has a frozen gluten free/dairy free mac and cheese too.

#11 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to try some!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: