Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Need Help With What To Feed Toddler

11 posts in this topic

My son (18 months old) has not been diagnosed with celiac disease (I have though), but he does have a wheat allergy. Plus he's allergic to eggs, pecans and now may be lactose or fructose intolerant. He also had a liver transplant when he was a month old and that has slowed his eating progress. He used to gag on more solid foods, but is doing better now. He also has to have his liquids thickened or else they go into his lungs.

I have never been good with food. I never know what to feed myself and I end up eating the same stuff over and over again. Now I'm having issues knowing what to feed him. He was liking mac n'cheese, but now he can't have milk.

So, I'd be grateful to have ideas for what to feed him. It needs to be wheat free, eggs free and lactose free.

Thanks for any help!

Ads by Google:

Rice/ corn chex

Pancakes

Sausage

Fruit

chicken tenders

Coconut yogurt

Crackers

Tuna

Sun butter

Tortilla chips

Carrots

Potato chips

Enjoy life foods (cookies, granola, plentils, chocolate)

Cupcakes

Hemp milk

Rice cereal

That's just a rundown of what my kids eat pretty regularly. What kinds of foods do you and your son like to eat? Also, if he is t toally gluten fre and you want an official dx, please do it BEFORE going gluten-free!

Diced bits of cooked meat, diced carrots and diced potato. You can cook these until finger smooshable soft. That way he can pick them up with fingers but still swallow easily. Actually you can cook any vegetable, fruit, or meat until it is finger smooshable soft enough for him to be able to eat and swallow. You can cook the meat and veg in chicken broth if you like. The simpler the better. Fruit can be cooked in just plain water.

When my son was a toddler, he loved avocados. I would just peel the skin off 1/2 and he'd hold it like a popsicle. It was messy, but fun for him to eat.

Home made muffins are a big hit here (and we keep them in the freezer for a snack). Beans, burgers on lettuce, smoothies (though this might be tricky with fructose intolerance), apples and peanut butter (or rice cakes and peanut butter), chicken, stir fry of all kinds, lentil soup, ... She eats what we eat.

Even if pecans are out, there are other nuts that you can do. My son (23 months) is a big fan of nut butters, so peanut butter on celery (with the strings removed) is always popular around here. As are lunchmeat and sausages of any sort. He's a huge fan of gluten-free waffles, coconut milk, baba ganoush, raw or cooked carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower, cooked green beans are a great snack...and ripe bananas are often compatible with fructose intolerance - something about the glucose fructose balance being ok. Small amounts of blueberries are also ok, just don't let them overdo. Look at paleo blogs for ideas - although they like eggs, there are plenty of eggless ideas for snacks that don't use gluten or dairy.

Even if pecans are out, there are other nuts that you can do.

Not the OP but *usually* an allergist will suggest staying away from all tree nuts because there is a high possibility of cross contamination unless you find nuts from a place that only processes on kind of nut.

Not the OP but *usually* an allergist will suggest staying away from all tree nuts because there is a high possibility of cross contamination unless you find nuts from a place that only processes on kind of nut.

What about sunflower seeds? Sunbutter is a popular substitute for peanuts.

My dd is allergic to tree nuts and peanuts but sunbutter is ok. I guess flower seeds are fine. Pumpkin seeds are ok too.

Here's what came to my mind - finely cut up Applegate Farms hotdogs, homemade chicken nuggets, bean dip/hummus on gluten free crackers and coconut milk ice cream. Amy's has a frozen gluten free/dairy free mac and cheese too.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to try some!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Gluten Free Chicken? No Such Thing
      Yes, chicken you buy in the store can contain gluten.  Chicken meat will not contain gluten before packaging, but look at the excerpt below from an article entitled: What's really in supermarket poultry (abbreviated title) The article specifically mentions wheat  (it's toward the end of the passage) as a potential ingredient in the solution injected into the chicken meat.  They inject a lot of this solution into the meat, as much as 30% of the chicken weight you pay for can be the injected solution.  If packaged chicken is gluten free it will say so below the box on the plastic wrap that has the nutritional information (calories etc). Here's the passage: His next task is to bulk out the trim by getting it to absorb water and additives. For this to happen, the manufacturer has to create a ‘brine’, a chemical solution that will encourage the meat to retain liquid using binding agents. These binding agents are usually from five main sources, which can be used separately or mixed together. The first is transglutaminase, an enzyme that is essentially a natural glue. Indeed, it is sometimes called ‘meat glue’. The second is from a group collectively known as hydrocolloids, substances that form a gel on contact with water. These hydrocolloids include carrageenan, which is derived from seaweed, as well as the exotically named locust bean gum — extracted from the seeds of the carob tree — and guar gum, which derives from ground guar beans. The third widely-used agent, especially in seafood, is phosphate, which is taken from phosphoric acid and is valued for its ability to make oil adhere to water. The fourth is fibre, made from a source such as wheat, citrus or cellulose. And the fifth is protein powder, which is made by extracting collagen from pigs’ skins.
    • The US Preventative Services Task Force needs our help - tell them why Celiac screening is important!
      I'm British so I can't take part, but good on you for pushing the case for screening.  Aside from the arguments you quote I'd bet there would be significant financial forces opposed to widespread screening. Large food companies, farmers etc.  So there may be an element of politics involved?
    • Biopsy confirmed?
      What were they looking for when they did the endoscopy? This is all backwards. You usually get a blood test first & then if that's positive they do an endoscopy.  Did they tell you to make sure to continue eating gluten until the blood test is taken?
    • Biopsy confirmed?
      Did they say if the villi are damaged?  did they do a full Celiac panel or just a TTG? 
    • Biopsy confirmed?
      Hi all. First post here :-)  I recently received my biopsy results from my endoscopy which showed lymphocytes in my duodenum. My surgeon said this is possibly celiacs and ordered a blood test to confirm. I had the blood test done 2 years ago and it was negative. So my question is could it really be ceilac and has this happened to anyone else? Also does anyone else know if this could be a false reading from the biopsy? And if the blood test is negative will he still assume celiac ... Again I would love to hear your stories on diagnosis if similar to me, So many questions! I get my results on Friday as I have to have further testing for other non-related things from the endo and just want to know the likelihood I guess. Feeling a little daunted and need to start thinking ahead if this is happening  Thanks in advance xx
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
    • ChiaChick  »  Peaceflower

Hi Peaceflower, Just wanted to say thank you for the chat.
      · 0 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    kyle1960