Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Your Favorite Travel Remedies?

6 posts in this topic

I'm about to leave for a long trip to SE Asia and I'm scared. I've been gluten-free for a while now and I never intentionally eat gluten. In fact I am extremely careful not to. However, there have been the occasional accidents for whatever reason - CC, etc. And when this happens (as I'm sure is the case for most of you all), it's terrible. I can have symptoms (GI and neurological) for days and weeks and it really messes with me. The worst symptom is that it's like a terrible hangover that won't go away no matter what I do.

So, with that history, what can I take with me either as a precaution before eating in restaurants (like an enzyme) or for if I start feeling unwell, so that the rest of the trip isn't miserable? What's your favorite "glutened" remedy? I read somewhere that marshmallow root is good (?). Basically, I'm looking for stuff that doesn't take up a lot of space in my bag and preferably is not a liquid because of liquid restrictions on airplanes, but that's fine if that's your best suggestion! If you have an OTC or prescription medication suggestion, I'm open to that, too, and have a doctor who is pretty open to prescribing various things if I go to her with the name of a particular drug.

Disclaimer: I know the only cure is not eating gluten, and again, I would never intentionally eat it. I'm just concerned that even with the precautions I'll take (including restaurant cards and ordering meals w/ no sauce), something will happen.

Thank you.

Ads by Google:

Any thoughts from anyone? I'm new here and would love the wealth of experience from this forum's members :) I'm leaving very soon for my trip and would love to know about any OTC or Rx remedies that work for you when you get glutened. Thanks in advance!

Welcome!

I would pack enough digestive enzymes to take before each meal. Now or Source Naturals brands are our favorite, but any gluten-free digestive enzymes will work. Oregano Oil can be very good to take proactively while traveling.

Haven't had much luck in our house with accidental gluten recovery.

SE Asia - you should be able to find fresh ginger there -- a tea made with fresh ginger and a bit of sweetener can work wonders for an upset stomach.

Also, when you run into safe food, fruits and vegies that can be eaten raw...throw some extras in your bag...never know when you'll be stuck without a safe food source ;)

Good Luck - Enjoy your trip!

I'm about to leave for a long trip to SE Asia and I'm scared. I've been gluten-free for a while now and I never intentionally eat gluten. In fact I am extremely careful not to. However, there have been the occasional accidents for whatever reason - CC, etc. And when this happens (as I'm sure is the case for most of you all), it's terrible. I can have symptoms (GI and neurological) for days and weeks and it really messes with me. The worst symptom is that it's like a terrible hangover that won't go away no matter what I do.

So, with that history, what can I take with me either as a precaution before eating in restaurants (like an enzyme) or for if I start feeling unwell, so that the rest of the trip isn't miserable? What's your favorite "glutened" remedy? I read somewhere that marshmallow root is good (?). Basically, I'm looking for stuff that doesn't take up a lot of space in my bag and preferably is not a liquid because of liquid restrictions on airplanes, but that's fine if that's your best suggestion! If you have an OTC or prescription medication suggestion, I'm open to that, too, and have a doctor who is pretty open to prescribing various things if I go to her with the name of a particular drug.

Disclaimer: I know the only cure is not eating gluten, and again, I would never intentionally eat it. I'm just concerned that even with the precautions I'll take (including restaurant cards and ordering meals w/ no sauce), something will happen.

Thank you.

There really is nothing you can take to avoid CC or a gluten hit while traveling. The best you can do is eat as plain as possible and do your best to avoid that scenario. I usually do very well on trips but yes, I have been glutened overseas before. My symptoms are different so the remedy would be different than what you experience.

You should not take digestive enzymes unless you have a clear need for them. They may help you digest your meal better, but that will not prevent the autoimmune reaction at all. You will still feel crappy. If you take too many of them, you could end up with a stomach ache anyway. I need to use enzymes and I never take more than 1 at a time. If you are glutened, then just take it easy the next day and do something light. That's what I do. I don't attempt to climb mountains after a hit. Above all else, use your dining cards and do not become overly worried about getting sick. Try to relax and enjoy your time there and if something happens, take it easy and do what you have to do to feel better. There are risks with travel but I have found it can be done successfully if you are careful...and it sounds like you have prepped well.

Have fun!

Above all else, use your dining cards and do not become overly worried about getting sick. Try to relax and enjoy your time there and if something happens, take it easy and do what you have to do to feel better. There are risks with travel but I have found it can be done successfully if you are careful...and it sounds like you have prepped well.

Have fun!

This exactly. Use your restaurant cards ALWAYS! I have used mine over and over. However, I never did feel sick eating gluten and even now, 15 months post diagnosis, I have no clue whether I have been glutened. That is scary stuff because you kind of need to know but my regular bloodwork shows my numbers are all negative. I am extremely cautious and strict.

I also prepare my own food from fresh markets in kitchenettes in our apartment/B&B if applicable. I always take extra snacks along for airports - flights get delayed regularly and thankfully I have always been prepared for that.

It is so true that you need to go and feel great about this wonderful adventure that lies ahead. Do what you can to avoid gluten and focus on what you get to see and do! :)

Thanks, all! I got some digestive enzymes ("glutenease" or some such) and some oregano oil just in case. I will also try to not worry about it too much!

Thanks again :)