This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cramping And Fainting?!

Kirstie

Kirstie Apprentice

Hey everyone, I've been so busy the past few weeks, but been sticking to my gluten-free diet fine! Although last night I felt rather uncomfortable, bloated and constipated, I put it down to stress and took a Senokot tablet (Dual tablet which aides bloating and constipation)

I've never had a problem with Senokot before and doubted anything would happen. This morning however I felt extremely painful cramping and an urge to use the bathroom, but the cramping persisted and I didn't actually need to go. That passed and I felt a little shaky but fine.

In town the same happened again, but this time I felt more like I was going to vomit. I left town and felt cramps on the way home. Upon arriving home I rushed to the bathroom, felt extremely painful cramps and a desperate urge to relieve myself, but again, nothing! The cramps got so bad I was crying out in agony, broke out in a cold sweat and my ears began ringing. I stood up and tried to wash my face with cold water, and passed out onto the floor from pain!! I must have been unconscious a few minutes.

Now about 10 min later I'm still suffering from slight cramping and shaking, but thats all.

I'm pretty worried, has anyone else had this? The pains in my lower stomach and its excruciating. Should I seek medical help or wait and hope it passes?

Thanks everyone!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I think you should contact your doctor right away. It is possible that you have developed an intestinal blockage which needs to be attended to promptly. Not wishing to be unnecessarily alarmist, but it could be a serious problem.

tracijo Newbie

What you're describing is actually how I found out that I had Celiac. I knew I never really felt all that well, and had some stomach issues, but aside from acid reflux, they couldn't find anything wrong with me until I passed out in the middle of a crowded shop. The ringing in the ears is, I think, a pain response. I didn't get the sweating and shaking until after I came to, but that's definitely vasovagal pain response to a T.

Not to say you shouldn't go see a doctor (you definitely should, in case it's something bad), but it could also be that you're reacting to gluten.

mushroom Proficient

I, too, have had the sweating, ringing in the ears and fainting as a gluten response But never accompanied by such severe cramping. That is what alarmed me. And the fact she thought she was passed out for several minutes. My vasovagal syncope was always just a momentary thing, just long enough for me to hit the deck :rolleyes:

tracijo Newbie

Same for me. I was only out for a second. I'll never forget the pain, though. If I felt it again, it would most certainly be cause for concern. When it's a new symptom, I'd imagine that would be even more so.

Kirstie Apprentice

What you're describing is actually how I found out that I had Celiac. I knew I never really felt all that well, and had some stomach issues, but aside from acid reflux, they couldn't find anything wrong with me until I passed out in the middle of a crowded shop. The ringing in the ears is, I think, a pain response. I didn't get the sweating and shaking until after I came to, but that's definitely vasovagal pain response to a T.

Not to say you shouldn't go see a doctor (you definitely should, in case it's something bad), but it could also be that you're reacting to gluten.

Hi everyone, thanks for replying so quickly! I didn't see a doctor because after that horrible episode I calmed down a lot, cramping but not more fainting or excruciating pain!

I'm wondering if it was the laxative (although I've not had those reactions before) or gluten!? I may have eaten some gluten the night before too, pretty harsh reaction but I've been off the stuff for quite a while now.

I haven't passed out from pain since getting the absolute worse period pains when I was 14. Horrible, horrible. I'm just glad I can talk to you all about it, everyone else acts like I'm overreacting :( its awful not being taken serious.

Much better today, just a little weak, how I normally feel after eating gluten :(

Kirstie Apprentice

I, too, have had the sweating, ringing in the ears and fainting as a gluten response But never accompanied by such severe cramping. That is what alarmed me. And the fact she thought she was passed out for several minutes. My vasovagal syncope was always just a momentary thing, just long enough for me to hit the deck :rolleyes:

It easily could have been a gluten response, just the worse one ever! Maybe there was even gluten in Senokot? The website said no but I'm not so sure now.

I though I was out for a few minutes, it felt like ages but maybe it wasn't I was just so dizzy, sweaty and confused I couldn't tell.

Does this happen to you quite often after eating gluten? Worrying!

Thanks for your reply :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

It used to happen to me quite often, after both corn and gluten, maybe 20 times in all. I don't do it any more. When you've passed out it is always hard to tell how long it has been. I came to once just as my head hit the floor - I was sitting on the floor saying "I've got to lie down before I pass out" and then I was (passed out) with a thud before I could get my head all the way down :blink: This was before I wised up to what was causing it :rolleyes: A good reminder to check everything for gluten!!

LauraB0927 Apprentice

I would have the vasovagal syncope/fainting episodes but I could never link them to right after I ate gluten. Granted, these happened before I was diagnosed and I never had GI symptoms, so it could have been but I never realized it. Not surprisingly, I never (knock on wood) had a syncope episode since going gluten-free!

Archived