This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Do You Do It?

GFreeMO

Gemini Experienced

You wanna see super sized, come to Kansas and Missouri! I get what you mean though. It's odd how people from different parts of the country are into different things.

We are going to Colorado in late august. We rented a condo this time so the cooking and meals will be easier. I told my husband that I may be a squatter there and just stay in the condo forever. :P

My brother-in-law lives in Fort Collins. I could easily live there but my husband wants to stay in New England. We'll see what happens when we go to retire......New England is expensive and that can be an issue on retirement income. I fit in much better in Colorado than I do here in Mass and I've lived here my entire life. The people are just so nice and friendly and I love the fact that people are fit and into hiking. I won't even blather on about the mountains there.....the wilderness is beyond anything I have ever seen. The hiking trails are awesome too. Guess it's time to visit my brother-in-law....

I need a fix! :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gemini Experienced

It seems that many of us here have so many things besides celiac in common. I wish we could all live in the same state. The celiac state. :P

I don't work outside of the home but my husband travels for his job and is gone a lot so I need to be here to hold down the fort. I use to be a teacher though and loved it.

Yes, I agree..thanks goodness for the internet. :)

The Celiac State! Brilliant! It has to have good food and hiking trails.....and a Whole Foods! :P Think of the gluten-free parties we could have....

bartfull Rising Star

Another bookworm and birdwatcher here.

In the Celiac State there will be libraries that are open 24 hours a day, lots of lakes and ponds full of the waterfowl to watch, wheat, corn and soy will be permanently banned, and Luv2Travel will be our official chef.

The temperatures will always stay between 60 and 80 degrees, and those who love winter sports will be provided with artificial snow that will never melt. There will be beautiful mountains to hike in, gorgeous meadows to loll around in, plenty of maple trees to provide color in the fall, a crystal blue ocean with no sharks or jellyfish, rivers with whitewater to raft in and waterfalls aplenty.

There will never be a traffic jam in the Celiac State, and even the teenagers will be polite. When we lose something, we will find it right away. When we drop something, it will not break. All of our pets will get along, and they will all live as long as we do.

In the Celiac State, everyone will be able to play a musical instrument and we will all have beautiful voices to sing with. There will be fabulous malls with low prices for those who love to shop, but clothing and other items will never wear out for those of us who don't like to shop. There will be violent thunderstorms for those of us who like interesting weather, but they will do no damage. And those who would prefer to skip those storms need only walk across the street where the sun shines every day.

Am I forgetting anything?

GFreeMO Proficient

Another bookworm and birdwatcher here.

In the Celiac State there will be libraries that are open 24 hours a day, lots of lakes and ponds full of the waterfowl to watch, wheat, corn and soy will be permanently banned, and Luv2Travel will be our official chef.

The temperatures will always stay between 60 and 80 degrees, and those who love winter sports will be provided with artificial snow that will never melt. There will be beautiful mountains to hike in, gorgeous meadows to loll around in, plenty of maple trees to provide color in the fall, a crystal blue ocean with no sharks or jellyfish, rivers with whitewater to raft in and waterfalls aplenty.

There will never be a traffic jam in the Celiac State, and even the teenagers will be polite. When we lose something, we will find it right away. When we drop something, it will not break. All of our pets will get along, and they will all live as long as we do.

In the Celiac State, everyone will be able to play a musical instrument and we will all have beautiful voices to sing with. There will be fabulous malls with low prices for those who love to shop, but clothing and other items will never wear out for those of us who don't like to shop. There will be violent thunderstorms for those of us who like interesting weather, but they will do no damage. And those who would prefer to skip those storms need only walk across the street where the sun shines every day.

Am I forgetting anything?

LOL!!!! Love it!

:P:lol::D

bartfull Rising Star

I thought of a few others:

In the Celiac State there will be no dust. Our pets will not shed, and all the dishes and clothing will be self-cleaning.

There will be no junk mail.

Telemarketers in the Celiac State will be able to find decent jobs that don't require annoying people at dinner time. There will be no email spam, and every website will have good information and no viruses.

In the Celiac State, all cars will be prohibited from breaking down EVER, and each automobile will get at least 100 miles per gallon.

Any more?

love2travel Mentor

I rarely check out the sensitive section as I am not BUT happened upon this particular thread as it looked very intriguing. The Celiac State must have:

- NO MOSQUITOES, slugs or aphids

- no ridiculously noisy and incomprehensibly insane neighbours - only kind quiet ones allowed

- no temps above 75F or below 50F with regular rainfall so things stay lush and green year round

- no snow or ice

- perfect growing conditions (I am a gardener, too) for anything - I am currently gardening in a Zone 1B which is not quite the best!

- no chronic or other pain

- access to all the spices on the planet

- access to wonderful fish and seafood from the sea that must be near by

- amazing unique, uncommon and incredibly interesting ingredients with which to cook - never running out, either. I need my Umami paste #5.

- gigantic kitchens equipped with all the appliances and toys imaginable

- bread that tastes like bread - no crumbling, falling apart, or disappointment. Oh, and someone to clean up and do the dishes.

- no FB so everyone must socialize as we used to - in person!

- I agree with libraries that are open 24 hours a day. Must have thousands and thousands of culinary books as well as others.

- as mentioned, beautiful lakes, streams, mountains...

- charming old stone houses with shutters, climbing roses, stone walls with English gardens and views to the ancient castles in the background.

- no busy industrial cities - just quiet villages yet with all the amenities of a city! :P

Not asking for much, are we??? :lol:

squirmingitch Veteran

I'm in!

In the celiac state there will be no poisonous snakes.

No poisonous spiders.

No lyme disease ticks --- well, what do we need ticks for at all? NO TICKS or fleas.

There will be a bounty of wildlife of all manner but there will never be an overpopulation of any species & there will be no disease among the wildlife.

There will be bees & butterflies aplenty as well as hummingbirds.

No gnats or houseflies, bottle flies, deer flies, no horse flies & yellow jackets, wasps & hornets will be banned from stinging any human or animal. No scorpions.

There will be honeybees without disease or hive collapse.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShannonA Contributor

I am a super sensitive celiac who reacts to trace gluten. With that said, I can't seem to tolerate anything labeled gluten free anymore. I use to be able to enjoy Chex, Frito Lay products, Betty Crocker mixes, pizza crust mix, dairy and chocolate, etc. You get the drift.

I have developed a severe reaction to corn and all of the mixes have corn in them or I react to them.

I am really getting tired of eating only meat, fruit and veg. I eat nothing else. I drink black coffee and water only. Heck, even some spices make me react.

It's gotten really bad to the point where I will cry if I see a commercial on TV for ice cream or pizza. I canceled all of my magazine subscriptions because half of the magazine is about food that I can't eat. I don't really enjoy TV or movies anymore because they are always eating pizza or doughnuts or just being so carefree about food. I'm going to a Birthday party this weekend that is a pizza party. Pizza and cake. I know I can bring my own but it's driving me crazy. Literally.

I am a totally depressed about this. I don't know how to pull myself out of it.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks,

MO

The exact thing is happening to me since going gluten free 7 weeks ago. I'm only eating soups and fruits and believing my gut is trying to heal by rejecting everything else.
1desperateladysaved Proficient

I don't do it well sometimes. My family took a trip. I was afraid to get in the car with the yeast bread they had along. I ate my meals either down wind from them or at the next table. I sent them in to the traditional annual visit at a Duluth restaurant as I ate cold food in the parking lot. I felt so lonely, but I don't want to control their whole lives. I have been withdrawing from all food events. I don't know if I have much of a choice since I seem to be reacting to smell.

Pac Apprentice

I don't know if I have much of a choice since I seem to be reacting to smell.

If it was the smell itself, at least you'd have a clue which place to avoid. ;) Soo often I only know it's time to run when I'm already dizzy with blurred vision and itchy all over... :(

Archived