This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Recurrent Yeast (Tmi, Sorry)

GlutenFreeAustinite

GlutenFreeAustinite Contributor

I've had chronic yeast infections since I was thirteen. Every month before my period, I'd get one, and apparently my mom was the same at my age. My doctor gave me Diflucan to take once a week for 6 months, and for a while, it worked. Over the last couple of weeks, I noticed my typical yeast symptoms and went back to my doctor. She cultured it (owwww) and sure enough, YEAST. She didn't say what type but she took me off Diflucan and put me on terconazole (suppository). I'm not really surprised, given the lethal antibiotics I've been on since March. Any suggestions for how to get this to go away? I've done the candida diet in the past and it really worked for me, and I'm planning to go on it again given my new diagnosis, but I'd love to hear other thoughts.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

Ugh! I feel for you because I have been there myself. I had this for 3 years. Every single time my period ended, I got a yeast infection. It took a good 6 months of no gluten, corn or dairy to get it to clear up. I haven't had one in years. It was directly related to my celiac and food allergies.

Also, Dove unscented soap is the best thing to wash with. Stay away from perfumes soaps.

MitziG Enthusiast

Dealing with the same myself, so I empathize! I just finished my 4th round of terconozale + weekly oral diflucan and it isn't gone. Going to go on a strict candida diet. Getting desperate!

Oh, Mitzi, your story doesn't give me hope for terconazole's success! o.O But I too am starting the strict Candida diet tomorrow...eliminating fruits, grains, sweets (they were mostly gone anyway), etc.

Hmmmm, Gluten-Free.....I have a strong suspicion about corn, I crave it like you wouldn't believe, which makes me think I have some sort of intolerance or allergy, which might explain things. Thanks for the insight.

Kim27 Contributor

I had this problem a few years ago. Besides the basics like unscented soap ( dove), tide free detergent , no fabric softener with underwear , I used AZO YEAST. it's a supplement u can get at Walmart in the feminine hygiene section. Yellow box. It works miracles! It's basically lactobacillus highly concentrated. That's the only thing that got it really unde control for me. I was taking all those prescrip creams too & they would always come back. Ado get your glucose checked bc high glucose can cause recurrent yeast infections

Thanks Kim! I got my glucose tested and that's apparently normal so I think I"m okay there. I'm switching over to unscented Ivory (I had some cheap stuff in my shower) and I'll try supplements next. I'm planning to start the diet tomorrow and I'll be seeing a naturopath before I leave for school in four weeks.

Really? Newbie

I just went to the doctor today actually. I cannot get rid of the yeast infection I've had since April. I have it vaginally and also in my mouth. I am almost to the point of pulling my hair out. She has stopped the meds... they just arent working on me. I feel your pain! I am new to the Celiac world. Just diagnosed in June.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Oh goodness! That sounds awful. The terconazole seems to be helping, but I don't think it will help the white coating on my tongue that looks suspiciously like candida. :(

veronika Newbie

I had off and on yeast infections for a couple of years until I discovered my various food intolerances (primarily gluten and dairy). When I cut out the offending foods, within a month or so I never had another infection.

If you have already cut out gluten, maybe something else is bothering you. It may be your immune system may be busy dealing with additional intolerances, so you have lower resistance to all kinds of infections: bacterial, viral and fungal (yeast).

That is a good point. I'm in the process of cutting out corn (I have a terrible craving for it, which I know is a symptom of intolerance) and fruits/grains. My plan is to do a really intense diet and then add things back in to test whether they are problematic.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I haven't been on the forum for a couple years but really need

Help with the topic about the yeast

I'm not sure of this format either so I'm hoping that I will get further posts on this topic also is there a good site on the candida diet

GFreeMO Proficient

It is very possible that it is from corn. Part of my corn allergy includes yeast and or UTI and bladder pain and irritation. It's all GMO and unnatural. With every minor cc with corn, all of those symptoms come back. Might be worth a shot.

I hope you all are better soon.

I'm definitely gonna check on corn then! I think I'm corn free at this point anyway but it'll take time. Thanks!

www.wholeapproach.com is the one I'm using for candida.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

www.wholeapproach.com is the one I'm using for candida.

Thanks so much, will check it out.

Does anyone see a yeast UTI connection?

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

In addition to cutting out sugar, starches, and yeast, add coconut oil to your diet. It helps fight candida. I use it instead of butter on cooked veggies..and in my coffee. You can also use it topically to ease itching/burning..and it's safe to use as a personal lubricant too.

Be sure to take a probiotic with lactobacillus acidophilus. It helps kill off yeast.

Ann1231 Enthusiast

wow, I've been fighting this too and thought it was due to my meds. I've been eating a lot of corn and milk lately. I didn't have a clue that could cause yeast problems! Now, I'll stop those foods as well.

Thank you for the link to the diet. I didn't know there was a candida diet. I had a diflucan the other day and still feel awful!

Archived