This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Just Avoid The Gluten Free Alternatives?

Giambi

Giambi Newbie

I have yet to be diagnosed but i'm worried I may have Celiacs. Out of curiosity I've been trying a few gluten free food products to see what I'm in store for if I do indeed have celiac disease. So far, blah, not much success. We tried the new gluten free pizza from Dominos last night and it was just blah. It was eatable I guess but certainly far from good. The crust had a wierd chewy texture to it. I also have tried some gluten free bread that was just plain awful. Lastly I tried Redbridge Beer. I'm a huge beer lover so I was expecting the worst here. It was again, just okayish. Watery and kinda had a cider flavor. I'd rate it a 3 out of 10.

So anyways, all this has left me quite depressed about a possible diagnoses. I was wondering if anyone just plain avoids foods that are "supposed" to be made with gluten? I believe this may be the approach I take. It may be too depressing otherwise for me. No pizza is better then bad pizza kinda deal.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

veronika Newbie

I try to avoid most gluten-free alternative foods because they are generally pretty gross IMHO, too expensive, and not very healthy for you. That being said I do eat a couple gluten-free alternatives if I'm craving carbs or a sweet treat. Tinkyada brown rice pasta tastes pretty darn good for being gluten free and doesn't turn into a ball of mush when you cook it. Enjoy Life cookies are also really good if you are a fan of super-soft cookies (which I am :P).

Just try and remember that not everything tasty has gluten in it. For example, if you can tolerate dairy, you still have ice cream, yogurt, cheese to enjoy -- and chocolate! While you can't have a real beer, there are certainly other alcohols that are awesome and don't contain gluten.

Giambi Newbie

Yeah, I was glad to hear steak is gluten free lol. I can eat that 7 days a week I guess! Will be hard to give up a good burger though. Pizza I can live without.

love2travel Mentor

It's true that so much of this stuff is just plain yucky. I rarely purchase anything processed as I cook and bake everything humanly possible from scratch which is better tasting and better for you. There are, however, a couple of decent breads to try. One is Glutino's Genius and the other is Kinnickinnik's new soft bread that does not need to be toasted to make it edible. Others like Udi's and Rudi's as well. To be honest I did not eat processed bread for several months after my diagnosis as I found it too sad. To be sure there is, nor will there ever be, a replacement for gluten-containing bread. It just is not possible (at this point anyway).

Making your own pizza crust may be your only option but others please chime in on this. We have no gluten-free pizza options where I live so I cannot compare to my homemade. All I do know is I tried the Kinnickinnik crust and it was horrifying so we decided to grill it to inject better flavour and texture. Others swear by Chebe but we do not get that here.

It may be wisest to eat naturally gluten free foods and whole foods. The odd time I give in and buy a gluten-free treat but I usually regret it. Thankfully there are some good breakfast cereals that are safe for us such as gluten-free Chex (a few varieties) and Kellog's Brown Rice Krispies.

If you do find you have celiac, or if you feel better not eating gluten, head on over to the recipes section here for awesome meal ideas and recipes. :)

kareng Grand Master

Yeah, I was glad to hear steak is gluten free lol. I can eat that 7 days a week I guess! Will be hard to give up a good burger though. Pizza I can live without.

You can still make burgers. Udis have buns that are good. I prefer mine without a bun.

cahill Collaborator

I use Udi's bread and Hotkid rice crackers but that's it. And I am limiting these products.

I tried some of the other gluten free alternatives . My belly was not happy with them and I also gained A LOT of weight.

Not worth it to me.

IrishHeart Veteran

You are starting out with the wrong attitude.

Gluten free does not mean tasteless.

I make a really good hamburger bun!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Giambi Newbie

Thanks for the replies! I tried a gluten free bun once but I can't remember who made it. It was disgusting. Jungle Jims in Ohio was where I bought it. If I can find a decent gluten free beer I'll be somewhat placated. So far I've tried Redbridge and Bards. Both were just barely drinkable.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

For Pizza, you can make a "Meatzza".

Roll out gound beef flavored with your Italian spices.

Roll it like a sheet of dough.

Bake the meat sheet before you put toppings on.

How long you bake it depends on if you make thick "crust" or thin "crust".

Then add the sauce and your toppings and bake.

wala!

This is what I do for pizza and it works great...you don't even miss the bread this way....totally gluten free.

Can't help you with beer.

squirmingitch Veteran

You could learn to brew your own gluten free beer like IrishHeart's hubby does. Way better than the gluten-free beer you buy. Irish will even provide the recipe! It's actually on this board somewhere as I remember when she posted it. I'm sure she will come along & provide the link.

But you know what? Gluten beer is not to die for. Pun intended. There ARE other things than beer. Ever had Apricot nectar with vodka? If you don't try it just once then you have no adventurous spirit.wink.gif

beachbirdie Contributor

Thanks for the replies! I tried a gluten free bun once but I can't remember who made it. It was disgusting. Jungle Jims in Ohio was where I bought it. If I can find a decent gluten free beer I'll be somewhat placated. So far I've tried Redbridge and Bards. Both were just barely drinkable.

For beer you need to find Green's. St. Peter's is also pretty good. However, you might just want to do without for a while so your taste buds can readjust.

I have not tried to replace everything, it's just too hard. Some things, like sourdough bread (I had a little stable of unique sourdough starters and made my own) and pizza just aren't the same. I think I will always grieve fresh, homemade sourdough.

Bob's Red Mill pizza crust mix is not bad, and the pizza crust mix from Open Original Shared Link is pretty darned good. I actually like Gluten Free Mama the best of any I've tried.

If you eat pasta, Tinkyada and Schar make the better ones though I have used Mrs. Leeper's corn pasta, and it's not bad. I'm just doing my best to avoid FrankenCorn, so don't use much mrs. leeper's.

Giambi Newbie

I read somewhere that gluten free food in Italy is FAR better then what we can get in the staes. Is this true?? If so, why?

GottaSki Mentor

IF you have Celiac Disease - removing gluten brings health - priceless.

At first you will have a lot of frustrating days thinking of what you can not have -- as time goes on you will find replacements for all the things gluten.

The learning curve is tough, but there is nothing our family has not replicated or replaced - in fact some foods taste better.

Many things labeled gluten free are not tasty, just as many tasty foods that are gluten free are not labeled gluten free!

Hang in there and Good Luck to you!

PS there are more gluten free beers to try - you may find one you like...read recently the Widmar Bros is coming out with a good one soon.

love2travel Mentor

I read somewhere that gluten free food in Italy is FAR better then what we can get in the staes. Is this true?? If so, why?

I have not been to the U.S. since my diagnosis so cannot compare there but I can compare Italy with Canada. It is better but Canada has really improved lately. Reason? Italy is far more aware of it than we are. It is mandatory that children are tested for celiac by the age of 6. Everyone knows about it and many have celiac disease. And Italians are, well, gregarious and demand and expect quality. On our trips to Italy there has been no eye rolling, sighing or stunned looks so far when I've asked about food/restaurants. You should see the specialty food shops there! Wowzers.

Giambi Newbie

Yeah I get the eye rolling thing. I mentioned the possibility of celiacs to an ER doc a few years back and he rolled his eyes and said "everybody thinks they have celiacs disease". My pcp is also not a fan lol. I mentioned it to him and he was like "eh, it's more hype then disease". And he is a world class physican from one of americas top 10 hospitals. Funny how much confusion there is.

TiaMichi2 Apprentice

Hi, :)

It is an adjustment, but just think how much better you will feel!

Bread was the hardest for me, before diagnosis I was a bread lover the doughiest (is there such a word?) the better for me, and guess what, when I found out what it was doing to me, and making me sick I removed it from my diet, and I felt so much better.

There are some good books out that you might want to check out, one is Cecilia's Market Place gluten-free grocery shopping guide, and The Essential gluten-free Grocery Guide from Triumph Dining. There are alot of gluten-free products listed on both of these that are not labeled gluten-free. Also there are some good gluten-free cooking books out there.

You will be ok,

-Miriam

GFinDC Veteran

I don't eat much of the processed gluten-free foods either. Most of them have either potato starch or soy and those don't work for me. I do eat Mission corn tortillas sometimes in a wrap. They are cheap and readily available. They aren't marked gluten-free but they are made on dedicated lines. I have never had a problem with them.

Here come the newbie threads, watch out! :)

FAQ Celiac com

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/forum-7/announcement-3-frequently-asked-questions-about-celiac-disease/

Newbie Info 101

What's For Breakfast Today?

What Did You Have For Lunch Today?

What Are You Cooking Tonight?

Dessert thread

How bad is cheating?

Short temper thread

Archived