15 replies to this topic

#1 Knoppie

Knoppie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:43 PM

I was always told that xanthan gum is derived from corn, now i recently read that the original source can be wheat? this confused me a bit.Or is the xanthan gum from wheat not used in foods??

ps. I'm very sensitive so this would be something i would need to look out for

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Hornet

Hornet

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:57 AM

From my research xanthan gum gum can come from soy, corn or seaweed. It most often comes from soy but not listed as an ingredient. The only way to find out is by calling the manufacturer for the info. I have a soy issue and found this out the hard way. Be very diligent in checking out all ingredients and don't assume they are gluten or soy free if it is hidden in ingredients. Good luck and read all labels carefully!

#3 Knoppie

Knoppie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

From my research xanthan gum gum can come from soy, corn or seaweed. It most often comes from soy but not listed as an ingredient. The only way to find out is by calling the manufacturer for the info. I have a soy issue and found this out the hard way. Be very diligent in checking out all ingredients and don't assume they are gluten or soy free if it is hidden in ingredients. Good luck and read all labels carefully!

thanks, i looked it up and multiple sources say wheat, i will be checking it from now on

#4 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

Xanthan gum is safe for Celiacs. If it were derived from wheat, I believe it would have to be listed in parenthesis next to the xanthan gum. I have never seen xanthan gum listed as a questionable ingredient in any Celiac based literature, including Celiac organizations. Xanthan gum can have a laxative effect on people and this is what can confuse people into thinking they have ingested gluten. It is not a cause for worry, from a gluten point of view.

#5 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:05 AM

I've been researching xantham and guar gums... Have to say that it sounds absolutely disgusting (a "mold" derived on the surface of corn (etc) for the purpose gluten replacement)...

Can't see myself using it...which is a shame/dilemma since most of the gluten free baking recipes I find use them... :(

#6 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:31 AM

I've been researching xantham and guar gums... Have to say that it sounds absolutely disgusting (a "mold" derived on the surface of corn (etc) for the purpose gluten replacement)...

Can't see myself using it...which is a shame/dilemma since most of the gluten free baking recipes I find use them... :(

Do you eat mushrooms? They are a fungus grown on dead and decaying things. :)

I saw a show talking about Xantham gum the other day that said the spores live an veggies, naturally, so you probably eat some with out realizing it.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:11 AM

Both xanthan and guar gums are used in a lot of products, including some salad dressings and ice cream for example. We've probably been consuming them for years without really knowing what they are. I never read labels like I do now.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#8 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:32 AM

I used to eat mushrooms...haven't brought them back yet though... Also, mushrooms are naturally occurring where the gums were created in a lab, right?

Sa1937... Yeah, I see that...now that I'm looking...and grosses me out... ;)

#9 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:48 AM

I used to eat mushrooms...haven't brought them back yet though... Also, mushrooms are naturally occurring where the gums were created in a lab, right?

Sa1937... Yeah, I see that...now that I'm looking...and grosses me out... ;)

Gums are created in a lab. And when you really get into label reading, it's amazing that so many chemicals and unknown ingredients are added to processed foods. Hope you plan to do a lot of from-scratch cooking using only fresh ingredients!!! Posted Image
Sylvia

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:57 AM

If anyone is game, here is some hefty reading about X-gum :) It is not as "dense" as it appears...just read through it and it is pretty interesting!

It is used in just about everything, including cosmetics. You are probably not even aware of it all--unless you become avid label readers like we all have to be!

It can be grown on wheat, corn, soy, dairy, or synthetically in a lab. Many foods and food additives/stabilizers are cultured this way...... but the point is....it is not going to cause a "gluten issue" in anyone. Thank goodness---or all of our baked goods would collapse. :blink:

http://130.15.85.243...nthanreview.pdf

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#11 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

Gums are created in a lab. And when you really get into label reading, it's amazing that so many chemicals and unknown ingredients are added to processed foods. Hope you plan to do a lot of from-scratch cooking using only fresh ingredients!!! Posted Image

I am trying to stick, primarily, to whole foods... But, in order to avoid a mutiny, I am collecting some recipes and supplies for baking... I just can't see myself putting in any of the "gums"...at least not yet...talk to me after I've had a few dozen flops, though, and I might have to re-think it (the kid's missing some of his goodies). ;)

#12 auzzi

auzzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:40 AM

Commercial yeast are fungi or mould grown in a laboratory .. Sourdough, the alternative, captures wild yeast or fungal spores that exist in the environment...

#13 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:14 AM

I am trying to stick, primarily, to whole foods... But, in order to avoid a mutiny, I am collecting some recipes and supplies for baking... I just can't see myself putting in any of the "gums"...at least not yet...talk to me after I've had a few dozen flops, though, and I might have to re-think it (the kid's missing some of his goodies). ;)

It's a good idea to stick to whole foods when you're first diagnosed...you certainly don't have to read a lot of labels with strange ingredients for that.

If you're wanting to make bread, now that get's into a whole new ballgame. Sandwich bread, for example, will be crumbly and fall apart without the addition of gums to try to replicate the elasticity of gluten (usually xanthan or guar gum). You might want to look into the Chebe mixes, which are based on tapioca flour/starch and no gums. Or possibly someone has gluten-free bread recipes that don't use gums. I've never baked without them but am not saying it's impossible given the right recipe.

So what goodies are "the kid" missing? We don't need a mutiny!!! Posted Image
Sylvia

#14 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

Sa1937... I was told by the royal offspring, "just 'stuff', mom...there's no food...(grumble)... ;)

I'm going to try a few recipes I found online (a couple in here)...

Chocolate cake (made with black beans)
Coconut-blueberry muffins
Flat bread (easy recipe using coconut flour)

#15 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

Sa1937... I was told by the royal offspring, "just 'stuff', mom...there's no food...(grumble)... ;)

I'm going to try a few recipes I found online (a couple in here)...

Chocolate cake (made with black beans)
Coconut-blueberry muffins
Flat bread (easy recipe using coconut flour)

Poor baby! I'd miss some "just stuff", too. LOL You might want to use the google button on the top right hand corner of the page and search for snack ideas. We've had a few threads on that recently. General Mills also makes Fruit Roll-Ups that are gluten-free. How about ice cream (obviously you need to read the ingredient listing) or popsicles?

Your recipes sound good although I've personally not tried coconut flour (like...do I really need to buy one more kind of flour).

Not knowing if he has other food intolerances, this is a good recipe for flourless Peanut Butter Cookies that takes only 3 ingredients. Now I'm hungry for them and may have to make some today. Posted Image

Edit: Also there are a number of Chex cereal recipes that are gluten-free.

Edited by sa1937, 28 July 2012 - 08:43 AM.

Sylvia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: