10 replies to this topic

#1 sora

sora

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

Is arrowroot flour the same thing as arrowroot starch?
And the same question for tapioca?

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

Ah, but I was so much older then, Im younger than that now.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

For arrowroot, I'm not sure. I've only seen arrowroot powder I think? I suspect it would be the same if you see a starch and a flour, but someone else may have a better answer.

However, for tapioca the answer is yes, flour and starch are the same thing.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#3 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:54 AM

For arrowroot, I'm not sure. I've only seen arrowroot powder I think? I suspect it would be the same if you see a starch and a flour, but someone else may have a better answer.

However, for tapioca the answer is yes, flour and starch are the same thing.

Thanks.
For arrowroot I am going to assume the same thing. It feels very,very light like a starch.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

Just beware with potato :ph34r: Potato flour and potato starch are NOT the same thing - the flour is much heavier than the starch.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

Just beware with potato :ph34r: Potato flour and potato starch are NOT the same thing - the flour is much heavier than the starch.

Thanks, I was aware of the difference with potato and that is why I am questioning the other two. I always thought of them as a starch until I saw them labeled flours.
What about rice? Is there a starch as well as a flour?

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

Thanks, I was aware of the difference with potato and that is why I am questioning the other two. I always thought of them as a starch until I saw them labeled flours.
What about rice? Is there a starch as well as a flour?

So far as I know, apart from brown and white rice flour/starch (terms are interchangeable), the only other rice flour is what is variously referred to as sweet rice flour or 'glutinous' rice flour, which is not interchangeable for the other two (has different properties). You will usually find this flour in asian markets. The rice flours in asian markets tend to be of a finer grind. Some find some problems with contamination with some of them.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

I buy my white rice flour from the Asian market. I was there today and they have a lot of new stuff, even sweet potato starch. I also saw green bean flour, whatever that is. :)
I have never had a problem with cc, I always buy the same brand.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

#8 auzzi

auzzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:32 AM

Tapioca flour is the starch extracted from the root of the cassava plant [Manihot esculenta] that is dissolved in hot water, dried and powdered. Tapioca flour or starch is the same thing.

Manioc flour is the finely ground fibres of the cassava plant [Manihot esculenta] that are left after the extraction of tapioca starch.

Arrowroot [arrowroot powder] is the starch extracted from the roots of the plant Maranta arundinacea. There is no flour made from the ground tubers. Arrowroot is relatively expensive. If you find it for a "good" price, check that it has not been mixed with potato starch, or that it is not actually tapioca starch.

Rice flour is the ground rice kernels or grain. As the starch content is ~70 to 85% starch, it is more economical to just grind the grain for flour rather than extract the starch due to the phenomenal amount need for food. This is not to say that rice starch is not commercially extracted. Rice starch is modified and treated to produce a wide variety of food products. Simple Rice starch is used in industries related to fabrics [eg.sizing] and laundry work [eg ironing spray starch}.
.. Note: Ordinary rice contains both amylose and amylopectin which makes up starch. Glutinous rice contains very little amylose, and large amounts of amylopectin which makes it "sticky".

Green bean or mung [moong] bean flour is the ground seed of the Vigna radiata plant. Mung [moong] bean starch is extracted from seeds of the mung bean.

Common green beans (Phaseolus vulgaris) are not the same thing..

Sweet potato starch is extracted from the roots of the Ipomoea batatas plant. There is no flour made from the tuber fibres..

#9 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:25 AM

Tapioca flour is the starch extracted from the root of the cassava plant [Manihot esculenta] that is dissolved in hot water, dried and powdered. Tapioca flour or starch is the same thing.

Manioc flour is the finely ground fibres of the cassava plant [Manihot esculenta] that are left after the extraction of tapioca starch.

Arrowroot [arrowroot powder] is the starch extracted from the roots of the plant Maranta arundinacea. There is no flour made from the ground tubers. Arrowroot is relatively expensive. If you find it for a "good" price, check that it has not been mixed with potato starch, or that it is not actually tapioca starch.

Rice flour is the ground rice kernels or grain. As the starch content is ~70 to 85% starch, it is more economical to just grind the grain for flour rather than extract the starch due to the phenomenal amount need for food. This is not to say that rice starch is not commercially extracted. Rice starch is modified and treated to produce a wide variety of food products. Simple Rice starch is used in industries related to fabrics [eg.sizing] and laundry work [eg ironing spray starch}.
.. Note: Ordinary rice contains both amylose and amylopectin which makes up starch. Glutinous rice contains very little amylose, and large amounts of amylopectin which makes it "sticky".

Green bean or mung [moong] bean flour is the ground seed of the Vigna radiata plant. Mung [moong] bean starch is extracted from seeds of the mung bean.

Common green beans (Phaseolus vulgaris) are not the same thing..

Sweet potato starch is extracted from the roots of the Ipomoea batatas plant. There is no flour made from the tuber fibres..

very interesting, thank you.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

#10 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

Tapioca flour and starch are actually the same as potato flour and starch: they are two different things.

However, a couple decades ago, in western countries manufacturers started making tapioca starch only and using the term starch and flour interchangeably. So if you find tapioca starch or flour in western markets, it's usually the same thing: the starch. Most cooking information sites only mention the starch.

In some African markets, though, you can still find tapioca FLOUR which is actually the flour, not the starch. Another common label for this will be cassava flour. (an example of cassava flour, King Lion brand: http://www.akfponlin...assavaHome.aspx )

I haven't tried it myself, but it's always looked interesting. :-)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#11 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:26 AM

I have been using sweet potato flour (at least that is what it says on the box) from Peru, in small quantities mixed with other gluten free flours, a little adds a bit of a sweet taste to the high protein type mixes, without having to use sugar or agave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: