This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Know How To Make Tomato Sauce From Scratch?

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

I can't tolerate canned tomato products at all. I can however eat all of the fresh ones. Does anyone know how to make some kind of tomato sauce or "pasta" sauce using fresh ones.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I would LOVE to learn how to make things from scratch, but no matter how hard I look, I've never been able to find scratch at the grocery store. :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Mom used to make tomato sauce from the organic tomatoes in the garden. (My Dad would put in about 350 tomato plants every year.) I didn't pay any attention because I never liked to cook. I do know though that she used Roma tomatoes, and she had a device that would remove the skins and seeds.

And I also remember that the sauce would seperate. You'd end up with a plate full of spaghetti that had "solid" sauce on top and a puddle of orange water at the bottom. It was the only thing Mom cooked that I wasn't crazy about.

Darn210 Enthusiast

This may be helpful . . . or not

Open Original Shared Link

We used to grow about abajillion tomatos when I was a kid. Mom would can tomato juice to be used year round. She would cut of the stemmy part and cook them whole in boiling water . . . I have not a clue as to how long. She would run them through a ricer (I believe that's device bartful was referring to) which would smash the meat and juice and strain out the seeds and skin. She'd add salt and then head into the canning process.

I would think you would do something like this but cook it down to remove a lot of the water. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help than that.

love2travel Mentor

Yes - I make nearly everything in my house from scratch. Wouldn't imagine doing anything but. Are you looking for a simple sauce or more complex? ;)

Darn210 Enthusiast

I knew the traveler would know what to do . . . :)

tarnalberry Community Regular

I can't tolerate canned tomato products at all. I can however eat all of the fresh ones. Does anyone know how to make some kind of tomato sauce or "pasta" sauce using fresh ones.

love2travel Mentor

In my opinion, roasting the tomatoes first makes an amazingly wonderful difference in the flavour. Slow roasting concentrates the flavour and the natural sugars caramelize. Same with garlic - roasted garlic is more mellow than raw. The following is a recipe using this technique (and this is a very, very simple recipe):

Open Original Shared Link (you don't have to use maple sugar - just brown or granulated will also do - I also add fresh thyme leaves)

I made an awesome tomato sauce a few days ago that contains red wine and is slowly simmered 3 hours. Again, very simple but rich and delicious. It is a test recipe so I am not allowed to post yet but I will when I am able to.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

Awesome! Thanks. Those links are great. I am just looking for something to put over my meatballs and meatloaf. I think those links will work.

Tarnal, those recipes are great!

love2travel Mentor

Awesome! Thanks. Those links are great. I am just looking for something to put over my meatballs and meatloaf. I think those links will work.

Tarnal, those recipes are great!

Have you considered sauces other than tomato for meatloaf such as a red currant wine sauce or brown sugar sauce or mustard sauce or...?

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

Yes - I make nearly everything in my house from scratch. Wouldn't imagine doing anything but. Are you looking for a simple sauce or more complex? ;)

I opened this thread and immediately said to myself," oooo love2travel will know what to do!!!" haha you've become my go to!

GFreeMO Proficient

Have you considered sauces other than tomato for meatloaf such as a red currant wine sauce or brown sugar sauce or mustard sauce or...?

I have not but, the brown sugar sounds good! I'm not a big mustard fan but love brown sugar.

mushroom Proficient

I like the red currant/rwine idea in lieu of the ubiquitos tomato :P My only problem is hubs always scarfs all the red currant jellly :rolleyes: before I can get to it. Have to find a new hiding place.

love2travel Mentor

I like the red currant/rwine idea in lieu of the ubiquitos tomato :P My only problem is hubs always scarfs all the red currant jellly :rolleyes: before I can get to it. Have to find a new hiding place.

:lol: Your husband and I would fight over the jelly, too. I love the stuff.

All I do for the glaze is reduce either red or white wine (or even Port) until syrupy (by about 2/3 to 3/4) then add a bit of jelly and fresh thyme. Then just glaze the loaf. I do the same with other jellies such as apricot and apple as they both go with meatloaf, especially if you include pork which I do.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I spend a lot of time processing foods. I have a lazy way to make sauce. I cut tomatoes in half and put them in the blender and blend to chop up the skins. Then I simmer it gently with regular stirring for a couple of hours to thicken it up. Then I freeze it. Last season I got enough to last for most of the year. At first I added things to make it more of a sauce when I was preparing it. You know how you find out periodically that something is bothering you that you were unaware of before? I had to dump out a bunch of my sauce due to something I added. Now I just do the plain tomatoes and I add anything I want to add when I make the meal.

lovegrov Collaborator

This one isn't complicated but takes time and you need a bunch of basil (which I have plenty of right now). One batch requires about 12 large Roma tomatoes and garlic and basil to taste.

Slice tomatoes thickly and line bottom of roasting pan (I use a Corning Ware one) with slices. Sprinkle with fresh garlic, 8-10 basil leaves (or more), a little olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Do three layers that way. Bake the sauce in an oven at 350 degrees for 2-3 hours, stirring when necessary.

Boil noodles. Put some olive oil and more garlic in a frying type pan and heat. Add the sauce until hot, and then the cooked noodles just long enough to heat up. Serve with whatever you like -- cheese, more basil and so on.

Obviously you can also adjust this recipe to add more herbs or spices.

richard

jerseyangel Proficient

Wow Richard that sounds delicious! I am able use canned crushed tomatoes for my sauce but am going to try this.

GFreeMO Proficient

Thanks everyone. I love all of the ideas! I will be trying them soon. Sounds great.

peacefirst Rookie

Thank you! It will be nice to try, when our tometoes will start going crazy with fruit. :D

Archived