Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Epidural And Pregnancy

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I hope someone can help answer a few questions for me.

This is my first child and I've known I have celiac for over a year. My concern is with the epidural if I decide to have one I hear they can or do contain gluten. If they do would I have any reaction from having one. I'm super reactive to gluten to the point I've had to change everything about my life style to go gluten free...changing shampoo's, lotions, soaps you name it I react. I know being celiac I have to be concerned about the medications I take but what about injections would I have the same reactions?

Ads by Google:

I don't know why they would put a large molecule like a gluten protein into your spinal cord or your veins. I would think it would cause blood clots.

Who told you they have gluten? what does the anethesiologist that will administer it say? Maybe she/he could tell you the company that makes it and you could call them for reassurance.

No injectable medication is going to contain gluten. Gluten acts as a thickener and would just tend to clog the needle.

Oral medications occasionally contain wheat starch. Injectable ones are definitely gluten-free.

No worries-- injectables don't contain gluten. I had an epidural for a hysterectomy a few years ago.

Best of luck:)

As everyone has said, they do not contain gluten.