13 replies to this topic

#1 justlisa

justlisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:41 AM

I apologize, in advance, if this has been asked (answered) somewhere already (I tried the search feature on the forum...no success)...

It would be helpful, to me, if I could "narrow down" some brands/flavors to investigate some commercial salad dressings that are gluten-free that others, here, eat...

So...can anyone tell me of any commercial/store-bought salad dressings that they use that are eat???

I've been trying to read labels, but most have ingredients that are a "mystery" to me (i.e. "spice", "natural flavor", etc, etc)...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:58 AM

In the U.S., the VAST majority of dressings are gluten-free. And because wheat has to be listed, reading ingredients for dressings is usually easy. I'm sure there are some dressings somewhere that use barley, but I can't name them, and it would most often be listed as malt anyway.

Kraft will always clearly list any gluten so there's no mystery about reading Kraft dressing ingredients. If it doesn't say wheat, rye or barley, it's gluten-free. I also use Marie's and even Kroger after checking for wheat. We also use Good Seasonings Italian dry mix to make our own Italian.

Overall, dressing really is pretty easy.

richard

#3 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:09 AM

Richard... Thanks so much for the response! Just made things a lot easier for me... :)

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:23 AM

I second what Richard said. I use many different brands. I suppose its possible to have "malt vinegar" used in one, but it will be labelled. The other thing to look for are the "Asian" types that have soy sauce. Should list the ingredients of the soy sauce - "soy sauce (soy, wheat, water...)"

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 abby03

abby03

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:19 AM

Hidden Valley has a lot of dressings that are gluten free. They've started putting a little yellow icon next to the products on their website if they're safe.

http://www.hiddenval...ttle-dressings/

I think the only unsafe hidden valley bottle dressings are the Caesar and creamy Parmesan but you would still want to double check any before you try them. My two favorites are the original ranch and Italian with herbs. Oh and southwest chipotle is amazing on chicken or in tacos, wraps, or even fries!

#6 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

I like Briannas french dressing its yummy. They have all kinds of dressings too.
Gluten and Oat Free 6/'12
Dairy, Corn and Yeast free 7/'12
Nightshade Free, Candida diet & low salicylates 8/'12
Nightshades and carbs and sugars limitedly reintroduced, most salicylates now tolerated 9/'12
No longer Reacting to yeasty breads 10/'12
Test confirmed yeast overgrowth, back on Candida diet 11/'12

You only get one life so make it count.

#7 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

Oh my gosh, I just discovered Brianna's dressings. They are so freaking good. The positive is that I've never enjoyed salads so much in my life. The negative is that the odds of my husband ever getting Kraft dressing near my face again without a gun to my head is pretty much zero. :lol:

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#8 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

I like Briannas french dressing its yummy. They have all kinds of dressings too.

Those look yummy. I'll look for them. They have a ginger one that is not gluten-free according to the website - has soy sauce

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#9 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:52 AM

Oh my gosh, I just discovered Brianna's dressings. They are so freaking good. The positive is that I've never enjoyed salads so much in my life. The negative is that the odds of my husband ever getting Kraft dressing near my face again without a gun to my head is pretty much zero. :lol:

Because you two recommended them, I got the Brianna's Blush vinegerette. So yummy. I'm eating it right now on a salad with steak, strawberries and blue cheese. :D

LTES

#10 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

I just happen to know that Wish Bone Russian Dressing contains wheat. It was my hubs favorite dressing but it was clearly labeled as having wheat in it.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#11 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

If you are avoiding soy you may need to make your own dressing. It is pretty easy to do by just adding some olive oil and vinager and maybe some lemon juice to a jar with some herbs and salt/pepper and shaking it up good. Let it sit in the refrig for a few hours. If you want it thick add a teaspoon or so of psyillium husks to thicken it. Easy-peasy.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

These guys have given you great suggestions, but I want to throw one more at you. I usually make my own, but sometimes, I just don't wanna!! :)

Marzetti's Simply Dressed (in the chilled section of the produce dept.) because there is no soybean oil in them and they clearly label the ingredients.

They do not contain preservatives, trans fat, high fructose corn syrup, MSG and artificial flavors. (all of which seem to give me grief <_< )

The flavors are very good. I especially liked the cole slaw one, the champagne one and the strawberry & poppy seed one:

http://www.marzetti....oz.htmtarwberry

The only one I did NOT try is this one, for obvious reasons :D :

Ginger Sesame Salad Dressing!!!--contains WHEAT.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#13 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

I only really like oil and vinegar based dressings so I normally make my own but often have a bottle of Maple Grove Farms of Vermont Cranberry Balsamic in the fridge for when I don't want to make my own.

#14 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

I really like Ken's dressings they have quite a few options as well as Old Cape Cod. 😃 I have made my own before but sometimes I'm just too lazy lol
~**caselynn**~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: