Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Successful 1St Attempt At Baking

13 posts in this topic

Today I tried my first attempt at gluten-free baking from scratch. I have been reluctant to try with all of the bad things I have heard about gluten-free flour (I realize that it has come a long way, so I had high hopes). I was able to substitute all-purpose gluten-free flour + xantham gum into my old recipe for double chocolate zucchini bread. I also substituted gluten/dairy free choc chips. Recipe can be found here:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,164,151183-252206,00.html

The result was much better than I expected. It was a little less sweet than I remember - which is kind of a good thing. Overall, I would call it a success! Yay me!!

(I needed to share with someone, and most gluten-folks just wouldn't appreciate how exciting this is...)

Ads by Google:

I'LL be the judge of that !!

(I'f you'll be kind enough to send me a piece?) :lol:

I'LL be the judge of that !!

(I'f you'll be kind enough to send me a piece?) :lol:

I would gladly send some, but I am not sure how well it will travel :)

June... Yay...happy for you! I've gotten all the ingredients and hardware...tomorrow is baking day! I've got 4 recipes I'm going to try (my 1st attempts)... The offspring is leaving on Sunday for a week on the cape... I'm hoping to be able to make him a few things when he comes back... ;)

Good for you, June!! :D

I think the best success comes from converting our previous gluten recipes. When I first started baking gluten-free, I tried a gluten-free banana bread recipe and it didn't taste quite right to me . . . but it wasn't the gluten-free part, it was the "this isn't my recipe" part.

I'm very proud of you. I have yet to attempt to bake from scratch, I mean I never even baked goodies before no gluten. :lol:

Good for you! Now that you have confidence just think of what your future holds. Soon you'll be baking bread and croissants! :) FYI brownies, cookies and many cakes are very easy to make gluten free. Far, far better than bought, as you have found out.

Today I tried my first attempt at gluten-free baking from scratch. I have been reluctant to try with all of the bad things I have heard about gluten-free flour (I realize that it has come a long way, so I had high hopes). I was able to substitute all-purpose gluten-free flour + xantham gum into my old recipe for double chocolate zucchini bread. I also substituted gluten/dairy free choc chips. Recipe can be found here:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,164,151183-252206,00.html

The result was much better than I expected. It was a little less sweet than I remember - which is kind of a good thing. Overall, I would call it a success! Yay me!!

(I needed to share with someone, and most gluten-folks just wouldn't appreciate how exciting this is...)

This looks awesome! So, please share with us what flour mixture did you use and how much xanthan gum?

A big YAY from me also. I was hoping you would post and let us know how things went. Glad you are off to a good start.:)

Great going!!!! There's nothing like the feeling of confidence & satisfaction that success gives you is there? You've turned a corner my girl & the future is bright! YAY!biggrin.gif

Applause, applause!

Crap. I've got everything but the nutmeg... :(

Crap. I've got everything but the nutmeg... :(

While it may not be quite the same, can you just skip the nutmeg and add extra cinnamon?

Thanks for all of the great support!!

Bread will be my next hurdle. Since I have never really cooked bread (without my mom's supervision as a kid), I suspect there might be a few duds before getting that one edible. But, that's OK - all part of the learning process.

@freeatlast - I used Bob's "all purpose baking flour" (4c) and 1 tsp xantham gum. the flour package says 1/4 tsp xantham gum for each cup of flour.

@justlisa - I am sure it would be fine with no nutmeg.