This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Successful 1St Attempt At Baking

june27

june27 Apprentice

Today I tried my first attempt at gluten-free baking from scratch. I have been reluctant to try with all of the bad things I have heard about gluten-free flour (I realize that it has come a long way, so I had high hopes). I was able to substitute all-purpose gluten-free flour + xantham gum into my old recipe for double chocolate zucchini bread. I also substituted gluten/dairy free choc chips. Recipe can be found here:

Open Original Shared Link

The result was much better than I expected. It was a little less sweet than I remember - which is kind of a good thing. Overall, I would call it a success! Yay me!!

(I needed to share with someone, and most gluten-folks just wouldn't appreciate how exciting this is...)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I'LL be the judge of that !!

(I'f you'll be kind enough to send me a piece?) :lol:

june27 Apprentice

I'LL be the judge of that !!

(I'f you'll be kind enough to send me a piece?) :lol:

I would gladly send some, but I am not sure how well it will travel :)

justlisa Apprentice

June... Yay...happy for you! I've gotten all the ingredients and hardware...tomorrow is baking day! I've got 4 recipes I'm going to try (my 1st attempts)... The offspring is leaving on Sunday for a week on the cape... I'm hoping to be able to make him a few things when he comes back... ;)

Darn210 Enthusiast

Good for you, June!! :D

I think the best success comes from converting our previous gluten recipes. When I first started baking gluten-free, I tried a gluten-free banana bread recipe and it didn't taste quite right to me . . . but it wasn't the gluten-free part, it was the "this isn't my recipe" part.

GF Lover Rising Star

I'm very proud of you. I have yet to attempt to bake from scratch, I mean I never even baked goodies before no gluten. :lol:

love2travel Mentor

Good for you! Now that you have confidence just think of what your future holds. Soon you'll be baking bread and croissants! :) FYI brownies, cookies and many cakes are very easy to make gluten free. Far, far better than bought, as you have found out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

freeatlast Collaborator

Today I tried my first attempt at gluten-free baking from scratch. I have been reluctant to try with all of the bad things I have heard about gluten-free flour (I realize that it has come a long way, so I had high hopes). I was able to substitute all-purpose gluten-free flour + xantham gum into my old recipe for double chocolate zucchini bread. I also substituted gluten/dairy free choc chips. Recipe can be found here:

Open Original Shared Link

The result was much better than I expected. It was a little less sweet than I remember - which is kind of a good thing. Overall, I would call it a success! Yay me!!

(I needed to share with someone, and most gluten-folks just wouldn't appreciate how exciting this is...)

This looks awesome! So, please share with us what flour mixture did you use and how much xanthan gum?

SensitiveMe Rookie

A big YAY from me also. I was hoping you would post and let us know how things went. Glad you are off to a good start.:)

squirmingitch Veteran

Great going!!!! There's nothing like the feeling of confidence & satisfaction that success gives you is there? You've turned a corner my girl & the future is bright! YAY!biggrin.gif

Applause, applause!

justlisa Apprentice

Crap. I've got everything but the nutmeg... :(

sa1937 Community Regular

Crap. I've got everything but the nutmeg... :(

While it may not be quite the same, can you just skip the nutmeg and add extra cinnamon?

june27 Apprentice

Thanks for all of the great support!!

Bread will be my next hurdle. Since I have never really cooked bread (without my mom's supervision as a kid), I suspect there might be a few duds before getting that one edible. But, that's OK - all part of the learning process.

@freeatlast - I used Bob's "all purpose baking flour" (4c) and 1 tsp xantham gum. the flour package says 1/4 tsp xantham gum for each cup of flour.

@justlisa - I am sure it would be fine with no nutmeg.

Archived